GROUPS:

PlotLegends problem with ParallelAxisPlot

Posted 11 months ago
|
3 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
|

I was looking at the new plotting functions in Version 12.2 and tried them out on a comparison of the dimensions and weight of various cameras. PlotLegends behaves as expected with RadialAxisPlot but not with ParallelAxisPlot. Does anyone have any insight into this?

cameras =
  {"Sony a7", "Sony a7 ii", "Sony a7 iii", "Nikon D700", "Nikon Z6", 
   "Nikon Z6 ii", "Sony a7c", "EOS R6", "Nikon D750"};

header = {"weight", "width", "height", "thickness"};

data = {{14.67, 5., 3.75, 2.25}, {19.61, 4.99, 3.76, 2.35}, 
    {24.5, 5., 3.875, 3.}, {35., 5.8, 4.8, 3.}, 
    {20.7, 5.3, 4., 2.7}, {21.7, 5.3, 4., 2.8}, 
    {18., 4.88, 2.8, 2.35}, {24., 5.45, 3.84, 3.46}, 
    {29.7, 5.6, 4.5, 3.1}}; 

rPlot = RadialAxisPlot[data, PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> header, 
  PlotLegends -> cameras, Filling -> None, ImageSize -> 300]

radialaxisplot

pPlot = ParallelAxisPlot[data, PlotRange -> All, AxesLabel -> header, 
  PlotLegends -> cameras, ImageSize -> 300]

enter image description here

3 Replies

RadialAxisPlot and ParallelAxisPlot, are conceptually very similar, but in practice tend to be used differently. Radial plots are generally used with relatively few points[1] to make direct comparisons between them. Parallel plots are used with more points to detect clusters, trends, and outlying cases.

RadialAxisPlot's documentation emphasizes using it with either a single point, or a list of points, which then each get their own styles. ParallelAxisPlot on the other hand is documented to work with a set of points or a list of sets of points, and the styles are done per set.

[1] By "point" I mean an n-dimensional point, which is visualized as a polygon or line by the respective functions.

Posted 10 months ago

Thank you very much, Brett. If I understand you, and in re-reading the docs, if ParallelAxisPlot is given a list, it expects each element at the top level to be a list of n-dimensional points. Following this, I modified my data so that each element at the top level contained a list of exactly one point. This does exactly what I wanted:

transformedData = List /@ data;

pPlot2 = ParallelAxisPlot[transformedData, PlotRange -> All, 
  AxesLabel -> header, PlotLegends -> cameras, ImageSize -> 300]

pplot2

And I do believe I see the rationale for this approach. Each list of points can represent a set of data. And sets of data can be compared.

Right, so you could do something like:

ParallelAxisPlot[{data[[{1, 2, 3, 7}]], data[[{4, 5, 6, 9}]], data[[{8}]]}, 
   AxesLabel -> header, PlotLegends -> {"Sony", "Nikon", "Canon"}]

enter image description here

and see that the Sony cameras you're looking at are generally lighter and smaller than the Nikons and the Canon.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract