Message Boards Message Boards

Computational genealogy with the Wolfram Language

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Robert Nachbar
6 Replies

Moderator Note: this post was highlighted on the Wolfram's official social media channels. Thank you for your contribution. We are looking forward to your future posts.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Hi, Dorothy!

Yes, it will have to be aGEDCOM format file for the data to be accessible to the functions in the package. It could be a lot of work to create that file by hand because there should be cross-referencing between individuals and families via the pointers. You might try creating a trial account in Ancestry.com just to make it easier to enter your persons and families, and then export the family tree as a GEDCOM file. That way all the cross-references are automatically generated.

If other users are interested, I could add some functions to the package for adding persons, spouses, and children to make this task easier.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I have just scanned this article so far. I plan to try it out soon. I have some family records that I'd like to try to convert myself from PDF into a usable format, I guess I will go with GEDCOM since your package consumes that format.

Wonderful work.

Thanks, Dorothy

POSTED BY: Dorothy Evans

Hi, Marco!

I'm sure you'll find some interesting uses of the data.

The package should work with your files, and let me know if you have difficulties.

There are differences between applications and some of the details. For example, the NAME record uses slash characters to separate the surname from the given name and suffix:

1 NAME Franklin Delano /Roosevelt/

If the surname is unknown, some apps (e.g., Ancestry.com) omit the slashes

1 NAME Franklin Delano

and others (e.g., Geni.com) retain them

1 NAME Franklin Delano //

The real problem comes when a user uses the slash to indicate alternatives:

1 NAME Elizabeth/Elisabeth /Johnson/

Another divergence is pedigree data. The GEDCOM specification defines only the PEDI tag in the FAMC structure in the INDI structure, but Ancestry.com uses FREL and MREL tags in the CHIL structure in the FAM structure. The former assumes the relationship applies to both HUSB and WIFE of the family, while the latter has uses FREL for the HUSB and MREL for the WIFE. The latter is, of course, more accurate. Unfortunately, a variety of relationships are given with various spellings in actual files, and I've not written the code (yet) to make use of these data.

I have over one hundred GEDCOM format files I've found on the web that I can use for examples, and I've identified 20 different applications among them. It just takes time to sort them all out and make the test cases.

Bob

Dear Robert,

thank you very much for your post. It is fascinating and very useful. I have some data files that are not from Ancestry.com and will play with them a bit.

Thanks a lot and all the best from Scotland, Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract