|
|
8 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica on Windows 10 on ARM64, native or with x64 emulator

I asked Wolfram in 2020 if they plan to port Mathematica to Windows 10 on ARM64. The answer came from salespeople and was vaguely NO. In November 2020 came x64 emulator for these Windows in Insiders Preview. I have Surface Pro X with SQ1 processor but do not have (yet) Insiders´ version of Windows. There are mixed opinions on x64 emulator, some software runs in it, some crashes, some does not even start. I have recently been shown Matlab 2021a running in x64 emulator, same for SPSS 64-bit software. The architecture of Mathematica is quite different from all these software by having a kernel which is architecture and OS optimized.

1. Anybody of you tried with a success running Mathematica in Surface Pro X (or any other ARM64 Windows 10 computer) in x64 emulator?
  2. If, so is it stable, or crashes or have some limitations? I may understand that GPU running will not work, but I can live without it.
  3. Any known plans of Wolfram to port Mathematica to ARM64 Windows 10 (or M1 Mac, where I heard that Mathematica runs well under their emulator, except of shell scripts)?

If there is positive answer for question 1 and 2, I will install Windows Insiders´ Preview. Regards Marcin

POSTED BY: Marcin Balcerzyk
8 Replies

I haven't tried 12.3, but 12.2 would not start for me in the x64 emulator. If you are interested in Windows ARM64 support, you should email Tech Support to let them know of your interest in it.

POSTED BY: Ian Hojnicki

Ok, but does Mathematica 12.1 at least install without any issues? Is there any message or log about the error? When I tried to launch Mathematica in Windows 10 WSL2 Ubuntu on Surface Pro X (without Insider´s Preview), it installed correctly from Shell (sh) script, but upon running there was an error, that I cannot run AMD64 architecture file on aarch64 architecture, although the build was for Linux. My friend runs Mathematica in Mac M1 (ARM64 chip from Apple) with their x64 emulator.

Ok, but does Mathematica 12.1 at least install without any issues?

I believe 12.1 behaves in a similar manner to 12.2. My memory is a bit fuzzy here, it has been a while.

When I tried to launch Mathematica in Windows 10 WSL2 Ubuntu on Surface Pro X (without Insider´s Preview), it installed correctly from Shell (sh) script, but upon running there was an error, that I cannot run AMD64 architecture file on aarch64 architecture, although the build was for Linux.

The x64 emulator is for Windows executables. i.e., it does not apply to x64 binaries running in WSL.

I have tried to install Mathematica 13.0 on Surface Pro X with Windows 11 Pro 21H2 (build 22000.469). Still does not work. The installation process seemed to complete fine, but when launching it the application shuts down abruptly when the activation window appears on the screen.

POSTED BY: Sergiy Bubin

Thank you very much. Indeed that fixed the issue and I am able to run Mathematica on Surface Pro X now.

POSTED BY: Sergiy Bubin

I passed the same problem with Mathematica 12.3. I use Office with Microsoft 365, and the next monthly update of Office reinstalled Math Recognizer. Mathematica 12.3 and 13 kept running fine. I use Windows 11.

Posted 2 years ago

Also had the problem running Surface Pro X with Windows 11. “When launching it the application shuts down abruptly when the activation window appears on the screen.” The suggestion to uninstall the Math Recognizer and reboot solved the problem! Glad I stumbled onto this. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Ross Smith
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract