Message Boards Message Boards

Wolfram neural networks in other platforms?

Posted 2 years ago

Is there a way to load a neural network from the Wolfram repository, in a platform such as TensorFlow that handles deep data more quickly than Mathematica?

POSTED BY: Collin Merenoff
10 Replies
Posted 2 years ago

I just made a brief video about using the wolframscript command line, as I find the existing educational resources somewhat lacking. First half of the video covers installation and second half covers usage:

Also note, you do not need to install Wolfram engine if you already installed wolfram desktop. Wolfram engine comes with Wolfram desktop. If you already have Wolfram desktop installed, you can just download and install wolframscript to get access to the command line interface.

POSTED BY: Alec Graves
Posted 2 years ago

Yes, the Wolfram library can export MXNet architecture and weight files:

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/format/MXNet.html

There are open source libraries that can convert MXNet models to tensorflow models.

Also, there is newer support for ONNX model exports, but I have never tried this myself. ONNX has importers from all the major neural network libraries (tensorflow, pytorch, etc.)

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/format/ONNX.html

Lastly, if you want to process big datasets with Mathematica, I have found this is possible if you ditch the GUI and stick to writing scripts (.m/.wl files) and running them with the wolframscript -f command line utility - like you do in python. The Wolfram/Mathematica Desktop GUI is definitely too slow - and crashy- for a lot of 'real' problems with large datasets right now :(

Thank you! Where can I find more information about the Mathematica command line?

Posted 2 years ago
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

My yearly fee is currently set to Standard. Will I have to upgrade to Premium to install Wolfram Desktop?

Are you sure? I think I saw a video of how to process extremely large data (tens of GBs) using the Wolfram desktop. Its not done with Import though.

POSTED BY: Jack I Houng
Posted 2 years ago

Hi Jack,

Perhaps you are referring to this?

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 2 years ago
Posted 2 years ago

I do not know, but I think it depends on what Wolfram product you have.

If you have Mathematica, you need the desktop version. If you have Wolfram programming lab, it seems the premium subscription allows you to access desktop files.

If you just wanted to export a model, you should be able to do that from the web version - save the model data to a file and download it from your Wolfram cloud files.

Posted 1 year ago

Edit (in 2022, WL v13.1), it appears that several of these issues have been fixed. The NetTrain progress reporting graph no longer makes the Documentation UI completely unusable, re-running NetTrain in the same WL kernel no longer causes GPU memory to build up, and the training progress graph interface seems generally more performant and less crashy. Thanks for the updates, WRI!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract