Message Boards Message Boards

New Game in Wolfram Language

So I have developed a new game in WL. The game concept is novel (so I believe) and is both entertaining and educational, requiring the application of both knowledge and logic, and could serve as a very effective pedagogical tool in middle/high school.

The format of the game would generalise well - meaning that other games could readily be developed along similar lines (I already have one or two in mind). It can be played by an individual player, or by multiple players.

I choose WL because it provides a combination of computational data and programming constructs that are ideal for a game of this type, which makes extensive use of dynamic GUI's, graphics, and data structures such as associations and datasets. Using WL I have reached the stage of a fully functional working prototype that would have taken far longer to develop in Python or C#/C++. Speed is an issue in some aspects of the game, but overall it works extremely well.

The next stage of the challenge is how to scale up the game and offer it to the public, which entails addressing questions of the technology stack and, separately, marketing/monetization.

On the tech stack, I originally assumed that WL would be fine for the prototype, but that a production version of the game would require redevelopment in C++/Unity, or similar. Now I am not so sure. It's conceivable that the WL version game could be deployed in production, given appropriate infrastructure (and after tightening up some of the code). This is one of the issues on which I need input.

Not being from a gaming background the marketing issues pose a major challenge. I can certainly envisage some obvious ways to monetize the game and I have identified certain target market segments. But, really, this is beyond my expertise and what I really need is some input from professional game developers.

So the purpose of this post is to seek input - from WR, WL experts and game developers - on any or all of these questions. Useful input could take the form of suggestions for the tech stack, marketing, gaming companies that might have an interest, relevant groups, etc. Please post any ideas, thoughts or suggestions here, so that others with similar questions in future can also gather useful input.

Obviously I can arrange a demo for those with a serious enough interest to sign an NDA.

POSTED BY: Jonathan Kinlay
3 Replies
Posted 2 years ago

This sounds very interesting. I am curious about the performance of the game. I would be very surprised if anything graphical or interactive is fast enough to run reasonably on average people's computers (especially if you are targeting students' laptops). Remember, you are directly competing with fortnite for your students' attention :)

I have considered how I would do this in the past, and I came to the conclusion that the best options would be:

1. Generate complicated WL-based assets (C-compiled functions, images, videos, sound, etc.) offline and just load them into the game (written in Unity/etc.), or
  2. run the WL part of your game in a separate Wolfram Engine process and connect to your game over a local ZeroMQ socket. I think this option was only 10 dollars per Wolfram Engine license (so basically 10 dollars for each game sold / downloaded). It would also add a few GB to your game download.
  3. You could also probably run the Wolfram Engine on private servers - then you would just need a single pool of Wolfram Engine licenses for your servers, but all of the players would need good enough internet connections to stay in communication with your servers.

Alternatively, if you would like to distribute a complete notebook interface GUI, I guess you could create something and distribute the a .nb or .cdf file for the Wolfram Player. It looks like this is still actively developed and there is a version 13.0.1. Unfortunately, WRI is charging 245 dollars for each download of the 'pro' version of wolfram player (which is required for interactivity in notebooks/cdf) according to their store page - compared to 10 dollars for Wolfram engine. I am not sure what middle/high school students/teachers you are targeting, but fortnite is free and Minecraft (commonly used to teach programming and logic these days) is 5 dollars.

Sorry to shift the focus of this conversation a bit, but I think this brief dive into the cost of distributing educational WL programs really brings out a good point. If it cost 5 dollars to distribute interactive applications built in WL, I would bet students and educators (not to mention professionals) would be a lot less hesitant to invest time and effort into building real systems and utilities in WL. Anecdotally, I would definitely have a less complicated relationship with the WL ecosystem if this were the case. I believe WL is a truly fantastic language with an expansive set of symbolic and domain-specific capabilities built by many human-centuries of dedicated effort, and it pains me greatly to see short-sighted greed kill off any possibility of organic (no marketing budget required) widespread adoption of this fantastic technology.

POSTED BY: Alec Graves
Posted 2 years ago

I created a chart to help express my point:

POSTED BY: Alec Graves

Could you give some more detail. Especially some visual? Very curious about how you want to deploy it using Wolfram language as Wolfram engine deployment cost would be easily higher than other alternative in gaming.

POSTED BY: Jack I Houng
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract