Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How does WL connect to fog ( edge ) computing?

Posted 10 years ago
I just read about Fog Computing (see attachments) and i am wondering how WL is related to it. I'mt hinking of SW's blog on the Wolfram Connected Devices Project:

Launching the Wolfram Connected Devices Project
Attachments:
POSTED BY: Richard Gaylord
2 Replies
Here are some web links:
A quote from 2nd one explains things quickly:
...if the parts of a rail car are instrumented to continually report whether they’re in good working condition, a router located on the rail car could collect and process that data by itself. It would do nothing until it received a signal that showed one of the parts might be headed for failure. Then the router could report back to the cloud over a 3G or satellite link. No wide-area bandwidth would be used to send the millions of “I’m OK” messages.
POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie
Thx for the pointers. It seems really a Cisco coined term. I'm not sure if there is a link with the Wolfram connected devices project but it's worth a nice discussion?

When reading through the papers briefly it seems to me that the fog is a kind of localized mini cloud doing compute and provide some storage of local data to avoid expensive cloud computing and it's latency/bandwith. So when I read the "need" for computing near the "thing". I think that Wolfram devices is more about computing on the devices aka "things"  themselves  like Raspberry Pi and the Intel Edison. So perhaps Cisco envisions their servers/routers etc to become smarter and much more needed when we start fogging our apps. Good for Cisco that's for sure but depending on the openness might also help other hardware vendors. Nice subject to ponder about. I see it like the question to where to compute? On the smart (soon to be dumb again?) device, the fog or the cloud? It will probably be all of them at the end again..
POSTED BY: l van Veen
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract