Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
19 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can Mathematica be used just like BASIC?

I am new to Mathematica. Although I skimmed a manual for it, I cannot tell if I can use it like BASIC, my original language and the only one I needed for the past 30 years. Mathematica seems to focus on all its special functions. Frankly, I never see anyone just making a simple data analysis program without it getting complicated by all the special graphing functions, etc. So, can Mathematica be used just like BASIC or do I need to look elsewhere for a new language?

POSTED BY: James Jakubow
6 Replies

Well, thank you all for your responses. It is appreciated. I guess it is time to start on page 1 of the manual. That is the only way I'm really going to find out how it is different/similar to my old workflow. James

Eric: Thanks for asking. I used BASIC for accessing ASCII files and analyzing data we would pull from long streams of operant data from psychology experiments (basically long streams of numbers up to about 250,000 per file). No commercially available programs were available because of the niche work being done at a university lab. Frankly, once the 2000s rolled around, people kept telling me to get rid of BASIC and move on to something else. BASIC works so why should I move on? Mathematica, however, seems to do some wonderful things that "could" make some of my programming outputs (graphing) easier to achieve. The problem is, I don't know anyone who uses it and all the discussions of the software seem to be people doing work very unlike myself.

Posted 1 year ago

Well, that still doesn't show any specific computations that we could do comparisons with. But, there are some general things I could say.

analyzing data

Mathematica gives you an enormous number of built-in functions to help with analyzing data, as well as the ability so spin up your own bespoke versions easily. I would think that analyzing would involve things like visualization, data restructuring, applying statistical tests, and pattern discovery, to mention just a few. I can't imagine any advantage to doing these things in BASIC, and I would expect them to be much more error prone, tedious, and limited when done in BASIC. In addition, Mathematica's notebook interface provides a "laboratory" for doing this that I can't even adequately describe. Having said all of that, you've probably refined your own BASIC toolset over the decades, so maybe these things don't resonate with you.

long streams of numbers up to about 250,000 per file

This is right in Mathematica's wheelhouse. You'll have so many functions for processing, inspecting, manipulating, aggregating, extracting, and mapping over streams and lists.

I don't know anyone who uses it

I would think that there must be Mathematica users at any university. You also have this community. And there is also the Mathematica StackExchange (https://mathematica.stackexchange.com).

all the discussions of the software seem to be people doing work very unlike myself

I think you've just been unlucky in your exposure to Mathematica. I would imagine many people are using Mathematica to analyze streams of data.

I would offer this caution/caveat: programming in Mathematica will probably feel very uncomfortable if your previous programming experience has been limited to BASIC. If you are going to experiment with Mathematica to see if it fits your needs, you'll need to suppress the feelings of frustration that will probably arise in the early days. I think people get the maximum benefit out of Mathematica if they commit to actually learning some non-trivial programming skills. Rather than just looking for the shortest line to get what you want using Mathematica, spend a little time trying to learn to think like Mathematica. This will pay off enormously (in my opinion) in the future. So, if you're very satisfied with your BASIC workflow, and if you're not willing to spend some "overhead" actually learning Mathematica, then maybe don't bother. But if you're willing to endure some confusion and frustration for a few months in order to eventually achieve orders of magnitude greater productivity, functionality, and satisfaction, then you should definitely try Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey

Interesting that your application is in the area of psychology! A long time ago, I helped my wife (who is not a programmer) with a lot of data wrangling and visualization for a project related to social network analysis in high schools. The raw data was in paper forms that students filled out, which was then entered into a structured text file (CSV, if I remember correctly). We use Mathematica to process this data: removing a lot of errors from manual entries and cleaning things up. Next we used the statistical functionality to do a basic overall analysis. Then we used the visualization function to create various plots (community graph plots, etc.)

If you're willing to put in the time to learn this great Mathematica tool (e.g. read the Elementary Introduction: https://www.wolfram.com/language/elementary-introduction/2nd-ed/) then I think you will enjoy programming in Mathematica (Wolfram Language) a lot more than programming in BASIC.

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing

Dear James, welcome to Wolfram Community! A person who was starting from BASIC too here :-) There are many examples of "simple data analysis program". For instance, depending on wha you need, you can find some simple starting guides here:

How to | Do Statistical Analysis

Generally speaking Mathematica is perfectly capable of both procedural (BASIC-like) and functional programming. Actually its strength is in so called multi-paradigm programming approach. These are procedural functions guide if this is what you have been asking:

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/guide/ProceduralProgramming.html

But I assure you there are much more to it than that making actually live of scientists easier. Perhaps you can narrow down for us what you need or maybe some of these courses could be helpful:

https://www.wolfram.com/wolfram-u/courses/catalog/?topic=data-science

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 1 year ago

Maybe you could provide an example of the kind of computation you want to do. Then we could examine the pros and cons of using Mathematica in that context.

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract