Prolog in Plot3D should use 3D-coordinates

Posted 1 year ago

POSTED BY: Werner Geiger
4 Replies
Posted 1 year ago
Posted 1 year ago

Wolfram Technical Support tells me:

Thank you for contacting Wolfram Technical Support. I understand that you want to have the Prolog/Epilog option take 3-dimentional coordinates.

Thank you for taking the time to send your report. Mathematica is working as designed here.

The Prolog/Epilog options are essentially there to specify the order of shapes appearing in a graphic. If you specify Prolog in a 3D graphic, you are stating that the object will always appear behind every other graphic; because of that, only 2 dimensions are needed to specify its placement which are scaled (from 0 to 1) to the x and y coordinates of the graphics window.

For example, if I plot Graphics3D[{Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, 10]}, Prolog -> Disk[{.75, .75}, .1]], I am saying that I want the Disk to appear always behind the Sphere and at position (.75, .75) in relation to the graphics window.

If I have missed some essential feature of your report, please let me know.

Best, Andrew Lewis Wolfram Technology Engineer Technical Support www.wolfram.com/support

Posted 1 year ago

My answer to technical support:

Hello Andrew Thanks for your answer. I understand your argument:

“The Prolog/Epilog options are essentially there to specify the order of shapes appearing in a graphic.”

OK. But from my point of view they should be more general: Enhance a graphics with some more graphics. In our case: Enhance some 3D-Plot (or -Chart or the like) with any standard Graphics primitives, and - of course – even 3D primitives. This can currently not be done. (It can be reached with Show or Overlay, but not directly within the 3D-Plot).

For me the sequencing done by Prolog or Epilog does not mean behind or before in space, but drawn before or after (with respect to time) the main 3D-Plot.

“If you specify Prolog in a 3D graphic, you are stating that the object will always appear behind every other graphic; because of that, only 2 dimensions are needed.“

From your point of view this is true since you allow only 2D Prolog/Epilog. From my point of view including 3D Prolog/Epilog, it is not true.

A small Example: You draw some 3D surface with Plot3D and then you want to mark the maxima by a Point, an Arrow and some text (or a Callout). Currently you cannot do that within Plot3D. (Well you could misuse LabelingFunction in some tricky (If {x,y,z} nearest to a maximum, …]) way for that).

I think the restriction to 2D-Prolog/Epilog is far too strict. And I suppose, allowing for 3D as well would be very consistent with the Wolfram graphic language and would not be very difficult for you to implement.

Kind regards Werner Geiger

Posted 1 year ago

Wolfram Technical Support, Andrew Lewis, answers:

... Specifying a 3-D point as either a Prolog/Epilog in Plot3D would make sense programmatically, but it would not make a difference to the overall graphic when compared with using the Show function with Plot3D and that same 3-D point.

However, I have sent a suggestion report to the appropriate people in our development team so this can be considered for future versions of Mathematica. ...

Thanks to Andrew

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract