|
8 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Incorrect Negative values in graphic

Posted 10 years ago

Why does the graph on Mathematica appear to go negative when in reality, it doesn't?

POSTED BY: Lindsay Bradley
8 Replies

StackExchange has been doing this for a while and it's been very helpful.

This time it was a rather unusual coincidence that three people have posted within a single minute.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát

Bill,
I passed around your "New Message Arrived" suggestion.
I have no idea when or if it will be implemented.

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Posted 10 years ago

Thank ya'll so much!!! I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!

Either use Axes -> False, Frame -> True as options to get a less confusing result, or set the AxesOrigin option (possibly to {0,0}). Note that the axes do not cross at {0,0} in your example.

Posted 10 years ago

Look really closely at the numbers on the Y axis, For almost any x plot range it is cutting off a vast part of the bottom of the graph where it doesn't think anything "interesting" is happening and the curve then sometimes dips slightly below where they draw the x axis (at about y=7936.5)

Or add AxesOrigin->{0,0} as an option to your Plot.

Note to support staff. It would be really nice if during composing a reply a little note would pop up with "New Message Arrived" when someone else had submitted a response while you were responding to the same item. Gmail does that I think and some other mailers do to. That would allow hitting Cancel instead of Publish. Either that or a delete button to use on my previous post. Thanks for all your work.

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson

Looking at your vertical axis, note that it does not start a 0. All the values of the plot that you show are in fact, positive. Remember that Mathematica's Plot function automatically chooses the crossing point of the two axes--often different from the {0.0} point--so as to show as much detail of the function as possible, along with also changing the range of both axes to show the "interesting" parts of the function's plot.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 10 years ago

Here's the one I've been working on! When I zoom in, it's all positive...but zoomed out, it's negative. I need to be able to show it being all positive zoomed out.

Attachments:

Can you give a reproducible example?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract