|
|
5 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Interactive content on Wolfram Programming Cloud

I just attended the "Experts Live" event on the Wolfram Programming Cloud, which was very useful. I just wonder whether anyone else has observed the same thing I found in the cloud. When I generate a 3d image, say with Plot3D, I cannot rotate it as in Mathematica. If I click and drag it does not rotate but rather shows that I can copy the image.

One of the presenters suggested that that might be a browser issue. I am using Safari on Mavericks. I understood that Safari should work as expected and rotate the image. Can anyone reproduce my observation?

Note that this is all in the development window, before (!) deploying the program. Also, Manipulate does work properly.

Cheers, Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
5 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

Correct, 3D Graphics within a Manipulate are not currently interactive. It is something that we plan to have in the future.

POSTED BY: John Pacey

Excellent! That works a treat. I can now rotate the Plot3D graphics. It appears that you just made a new customer for the Programming Cloud.

Within a Manipulate environment, i.e. Plot3D wrapped into Manipulate, I can still not rotate the graphic, which is different from Mathematica, but I can live with that! Thanks a lot. I'd never have found that.

Thanks, Marco

Posted 10 years ago

Interactive 3D graphics require webgl. Webgl is disabled by default in Safari on Mac. To enable it do the following:

In Safari, open the Safari menu and select Preferences. Then, click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window. Then, at the bottom of the window, check the Show Develop menu in menu bar checkbox. Then, open the Develop menu in the menu bar and select Enable WebGL.

That being said, the Cloud implementation is not as fully featured as the desktop. In some of these cases we return a static image instead of interactive content. We are in the process of adding better messaging to indicate when webgl is disabled or not supported by your browser and when the specific 3D graphic is not fully supported in the Cloud.

POSTED BY: John Pacey

Thanks a lot! I am on Safari Version 7.0.4 and Mac OSX 10.9.3.

Thank you for reporting it to the developers.

Marco

Safari is supposed to be compatible.

I tried just now with Safari 6.1.4 and Firefox 30.0 on MacOS 10.8.5.
In Firefox I could rotate the graphic but in Safari it was inert.

In case it makes a difference, my example input was

Plot3D[ Sin[x*y],{x,0,3},{y,0,4}, ColorFunction->"Rainbow"]

I will report it to cloud developers. I should not predict how long to get a correction in place.

POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract