Message Boards Message Boards

How do I add vertex weights?

Posted 10 years ago

This is an extension of a previous question that I asked on this forum. I have an excel file of vertex weights in the first column and their corresponding vertices in the second. The graph comes out as planned, but it is not a weighted graph, as I would expect from the following code:

data = Import["~/Desktop/OHD1.xlsx"]

Graph[Table[Property[data[[1]][[i, 2]], VertexWeight -> data[[1]][[i, 1]]], {i, 1, Length[data[[1]]]}], 
 Table[data[[2]][[i, 1]] \[UndirectedEdge] data[[2]][[i, 2]], {i, 1, Length[data[[2]]]}]]

How do I assign vertex weights? Any response is appreciated.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Shawn Doyle
6 Replies

That is very strange. I tried different machines and different versions of Mathematica. I always get True.

enter image description here

Have you tried restarting the kernel/Mathematica?Which version of Mathematica are you running? You should have access to the Wolfram Cloud. Can you try running your code there?

M.

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Dear Shawn,

usually a weighted graph is a graph which has weights attached to its edges. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph(mathematics)#Weightedgraph

If you want the edges to be weighted you need this: http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/EdgeWeight.html

You can, however, also attach the weights in the way you did to edges. So if you do as you say:

data = Import["~/Desktop/OHD1.xlsx"]

gra = Graph[Table[Property[data[[1]][[i, 2]], VertexWeight -> data[[1]][[i, 1]]], {i, 1, Length[data[[1]]]}], Table[data[[2]][[i, 1]] <-> data[[2]][[i, 2]], {i, 1, Length[data[[2]]]}]]

It looks like this:

If you then test whether you have a weighted graph:

WeightedGraphQ[gra]

you get True, so For Mathematica this is a weighted graph. Why do you think that it is not a weighted graph?

M.

Posted 10 years ago

I get the graph and False with the same code.

Posted 10 years ago

I'm running Mathematica 9.0, and I am not sure how to import the data into Wolfram Cloud. I've quit the kernel and started again, to no avail.

That is strange. I cannot reproduce your problem.

If you want to upload files to the cloud there is a button for that:

On the top right there is a button that says "New"; to the right of that you have "an arrow that points up/into the sky/cloud". You can upload files using that.

Cheers,

Marco

Posted 10 years ago

The kernel was evaluating locally. I changed it to global, and now the problem is resolved. Thank you for all of your help!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract