Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
8 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can we set some parameters to increase the indentation?

Posted 1 year ago

Hello, everybody! I am a beginner to Mathematica. When I write looping construct codes in the Notebook of Mathematica. I want to use the Python style. When I press Enter after an uncompleted function to start a new line, I found there is about a character size indentation. But I feel a character size indentation is not enough. Are thenter image description here some parameters in Mathematica need to be set to modify this indentation? How to set it?

POSTED BY: Q Wang
8 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

Thank you very much! A good advice!I will try my best to learn the functional approach. It is the Wolfram Language (WL) way, the elegant style.

Hi Q,

If you are new to the Wolfram Language (WL) I suggest you try not to use "Python style" to write WL code. Rather than transcribing procedural Python code to WL, use a functional approach instead. Here is a functional implementation

f[x_] := x - Exp[-x];
x0 = 0.5;
ϵ = 1.*10^-8;

NestWhileList[(# - f[#]/f'[#]) &, x0, ϵ < Abs[#1 - #2] &, 2]
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 1 year ago

Thank you very very much! You give me the right way!

Posted 1 year ago

Thank you very very much! You give the right way. It is just what I want.

Posted 1 year ago

Try using the Tabs key to indent a new line

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 1 year ago

There is a LineIndent option. You can set it via the option inspector or you can set it via stylesheets.

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Posted 1 year ago

Thank you for your reply! But I can only adjust the total indention of the cell. Would you like to tell me how to make it like the Python indention style when I start a new line?enter image description here

In the menu 'Windows/Toolbar" activate the Ruler. You can adjust indention by cell type.

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract