Message Boards Message Boards

Global population distribution: what's a Valeriepieris circle, and where 99% of us live

Posted 10 months ago

enter image description here

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Jari Kirma
6 Replies

This great! I used this recently to build another data visualization using your Valeriepieris circle parameters:

I was a bit surprised and also asked by other people why Tokyo and Java Island, Indonesia are not in the circle. But to my another surprise I found a research article where results are pretty similar ( DOI ):

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

This is very interesting data, and it produces very interesting maps. I was wondering what would be the best projection in this context, and I believe an equal-area projection could be most useful because it would allow us to compare population against area. If we also want an azimuthal projection, which I think is a good choice, then "LambertAzimuthal" would be the projection to use, perhaps with a centering at the center of one of these circles, like the orthographic map above.

Posted 4 months ago

Choosing a good whole-planet projection is indeed a pain point for map of any kind, especially once one has learned how all projections have their limitations!

Some different centerings for Lambert azimuthal (equal area): enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

And Mollweide: enter image description here enter image description here

Posted 4 months ago

I checked the code used in that article some months ago, and it builds confidence on reasonable validity of my solution; it's certainly a separate, and different implementation for the search, yet produces basically the same result. Both rely on effectively the same dataset, so it better be good... :)

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Yes, Mollweide is also a good choice, indeed. Thanks for the new maps!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract