|
|
2 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Commands to compute Einstein's Tensor and stress energy tensor

Hello everyone, i am new in Mathematica, want to know about command for physicist, to compute Stress-Energy-momentum tensor in General relativity.

POSTED BY: PRASHANT VIRAT
2 Replies

Oh do you mean defining the metric tensor g for a given spacetime..for example..the Schwarzchild metric in spherical coordinates..then we can tag these coordinates with variable values so that we can define them. I suppose there are three primary points I want to make like let's say you wanna define things like energy density, pressure, 4-velocity. Then suppose there's a perfect fluid and you define the Stress-Energy-Momentum tensor for it. Where Rho is the constant energy density, p0 is the constant pressure, and the ...stress energy tensor for a perfect fluid.

metric = {
   {-(1 - 2  M/r), 0, 0, 0},
   {0, 1/(1 - 2  M/r), 0, 0},
   {0, 0, r^2, 0},
   {0, 0, 0, r^2  Sin[\[Theta]]^2}
   };
coords = {t, r, \[Theta], \[Phi]};
\[Rho] = \[Rho]0; 
p = p0; 
u = {1, 0, 0, 0}; 
stressEnergyTensor = (p + \[Rho])  Outer[Times, u, u] + p  metric;
stressEnergyTensor // MatrixForm

Metric Tensor 1

Do we need the xAct system..that could be what kind of command ..maybe the order of operations does "matter". How do you perform efficient and organized calculations involving tensors "outside" of Mathematica? How do you run just the commands to compute Stress-Energy-Momentum tensor in General Relativity?

dim = 4;
coords = {t, r, \[Theta], \[Phi]};
metric = 
  DiagonalMatrix[{-1/(1 - 2  M/r), 1/(1 - 2  M/r), r^2, 
    r^2  Sin[\[Theta]]^2}];
inverseMetric = Simplify[Inverse[metric]];
Print["Metric Tensor:", metric];
Print["Inverse Metric Tensor:", inverseMetric];

Metric Tensor

You could do some multi-threaded Parallelize distribution of listable operations over multiple kernels.

POSTED BY: Dean Gladish

I use Overscript for contravariant variables and Underscript for covariant variables.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract