|
5 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

version 10 crashes when opening some notebooks

Posted 10 years ago

I have found few notebooks I have which worked fine in version 9, but unable to even open in version 10. Mathematica version 10 crashes when opening these notebooks. I have found 3 so far. I can't find what is the cause of this. I wonder if there is a tool or different way to find why Mathematica crashes when trying to open specific notebook. I have put the 3 notebooks in a zip file here they are called source_1.nb, source_2.nb, source_3.nb. These all are Manipulate that works and open fine in V9.

If someone can try and figure out what is the problem, that will be great. It seems there is some code in there that V10 does not like. This can lead to finding a bug in V10 as well? Please make sure to save all your work and start from fresh session, as Mathematica 10 will crash when trying to open these notebooks. I am on windows 7, 64 bit.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
5 Replies

Glad it helped. If you open the style sheet editor it comes up with the same waring and then looks like this:

It seems to believe that it needs to inherit the definitions from a particular style sheet, in the MMA9 folder. Perhaps you made some "private definitions" in MMA9 with these three notebooks, and they did not migrate correctly to V10. The notebooks must have run fine on Jean-Michel's computer, because the folder is still there.

Cheers,

M.

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Thanks Marco. That was actually the cause of the crash !

I do not know why it affected only these 3 notebooks and not all the others I have. But using your hint, I opened each notebook again in V9, changed the style sheet to something else, I picked report style. Closed all notebooks. Opened them all now in V10, and there was no crash anymore.

Then in V10 changed the style sheet back from report to default. Closed them. Now they all open fine in V10. The stylesheet setting is now fixed inside the notebook.

Why would V10 be looking for a style sheet in the V9 folder any way? Strange. But the problem is fixed now.

Thanks for your help and trying them.

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi

Hi Nasser,

I have just tried this on OSX and apart from this cute little error message:

which probably needs to come up on my Mac, they open and evaluate just fine in V10. I really like the notebooks- beautiful. :-)

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Hello Nasser, None of your three notebooks make V10 crash. They all run smoothly. I am also on Windows 7 64 bit. JMC

Hi Nasser,

Perhaps it's best to send this to wolfram support. I'd advise against others testing files that show crashing problems: one never knows how these might affect one's system.

Best, David

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract