|
|
5 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Highlighting selected text in MessageDialog

I'm trying to do something that seems like it ought to be easy, but I've found no (obvious) simple solution. As a program is running, interim results and comments are added to a string (call it StringCum), that - at the discretion of the user - may be shown via a call to MessageDialog[StringCum,...]. So far, so good.

What I'd like to do, however, is periodically highlight certain text. For example, if a special event, Event1, occurs, I'd like that portion of the cumulative string to be highlighted (say, as FontColor->Red). The command, MessageDialog[ StringCum <> Style["Event1 has occurred", FontColor -> Red]] highlights the text but (1) print "<>" as though it was itself a string, and (2) does not alloow me to concatenate any further strings at some later point; i.e., I'd like to define StringCum =StringCum <>Style["Event1 has occurred", FontColor -> Red]], I get an error. And if I try defining a string: StringCum =StringCum <>ToString[Style["Event1 has occurred", FontColor -> Red]]], everything works except that the color highlighting disappears.

In short, I'd like to highlight selected parts of a string that is being displayed via MessageDialog,

Anything anyone can suggest?

Thanks! (first time posting here...I've done a search on what I thought were similar issues, but could not find a match).

POSTED BY: andy ilachinski
5 Replies

There is an alternative way of joining formatted strings:

txt = StringTake[ExampleData[{"Text", "ToBeOrNotToBe"}, "FormattedText"], 200];

StringJoin[
 ToString[Style[#, RandomInteger[{11, 23}], RandomColor[]], 
    StandardForm] & /@ StringSplit[txt, " " -> " "]]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

But, since message is now a Row[...], the concatenation can't go through since it's no longer a string

You can try Join, like this, to see if it works for you

nextMessage = Style["the oven is getting hot!", Red];
message = Row[{"Would like to say that ", importantMsg, " and needs cooling"}];
MessageDialog[message];

and now

nextMessage = {"..please hurry"};
message = Row[Join[First@message, nextMessage]];
MessageDialog[message];

and now

nextMessage = {Style["..I am still waiting..", Red]};
message = Row[Join[First@message, nextMessage]];
MessageDialog[message];

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi

May be you can use Styled strings? Need to use Row to build styled strings. Something like

importantMsg = Style["the oven is getting hot!", Red];
message = Row[{"Would like to say that ", importantMsg, " and needs cooling"}];
MessageDialog[message]
POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi

Nasser, thanks for the quick reply!

That's already a help, but with still this lingering issue...as the main program keeps running, it keeps track of a cumulative message string (continually updated): i.e., if the current message (to be printed via MessageDialog) is your message = Row[{"Would like to say that ", importantMsg, " and needs cooling"}];, I still need - at some later point - to have something like message <> "here is another string (possibly with its own highlighting)" to be available to MessageDialog. But, since message is now a Row[...], the concatenation can't go through since it's no longer a string.

Hope that makes sense, and my problem is clear. Essentially I need what your great suggestion does for this one message, but I need to be able to keep concatenating strings to this (some of which may have highlights, some not).

Nasser, that did it! Thank you very much for the quick answers and follow-up. Much appreciated :-)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract