Message Boards Message Boards

Build your own weather station in a snap with the Wolfram Cloud

Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
7 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Scott Kelly
Posted 10 years ago

Thanks for the quick and insightful response!

I see that my temperatures are strings and I understand the method you propose for generating the plot I was hoping for, but I'm still not sure why I encountered this issue while Arnoud didn’t, given the similarity of my code to his.

Instead of using just:

CreateDatabin[]

I think I should have written:

CreateDatabin["Interpretation" -> {"temperature" -> "Number"}]

That way, the 'temperature' should come out as regular numbers.

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Posted 10 years ago

I responded too quickly to Ilian's comments. I think Arnoud's subsequent response has resolved my confusion.

Thanks to both of you. This is fun stuff!

This is because the temperatures are strings: for example, the FullForm of samplePair[[2]] is "27.64" (note the quotes are not printed by default). We can get a plot by converting them to numbers. enter image description here

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 10 years ago

This is a great exercise — thanks for posting it! — but my naive attempt to replicate it has failed. I completed the first two steps the other day, stopping just prior to “Analysis of the temperature data”, and now the databin at

https://datadrop.wolframcloud.com/databin/DDc14fb09aa16-ace2-4e98-9e69-c19aa28a3eee

is populated with a couple of thousand measurements of the temperature in one of the rooms in my house. This databin’s short ID is 44kLAu9q.

I launched Mathematica (version 10.1.0.0) today, but before proceeding with the steps detailed in “Analysis of the temperature data”, I thought I’d try simply executing the command

DateListPlot[Databin["44kLAu9q"]]

to see a plot of my temperature measurements as a function of time, analogous to the plots I see when I execute this command:

DateListPlot[Databin["3pw3N73Q"]]

The result was disappointing to me…

enter image description here

… and made me suspect that something was awry with my data, but I decided to proceed anyway.

The comments in my Mathematica notebook document the next steps I took:

It appears to me that my time data are recognized as real numbers but my temperature data aren’t, and that this is an obstacle to my generating a plot of temperature versus time in the way I expected to be able to.

Am I correct to think there’s something wrong with this? Should I have done something differently?

I’ve posted my Arduino code below.

Insightful comments would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Arnoud, this is a great example. Thanks for sharing! It makes a good use of Data Drop RESTful API.

POSTED BY: Bernat Espigulé
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract