Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Particular Solution of 4th degree differential equation (column buckling)

Posted 7 years ago
|
6 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
|

I'm trying to use Mathematica to solve the Euler Column buckling problem (http://www.continuummechanics.org/cm/columnbuckling.html), but its not working out. Mathematica only shows me the zero solution. Is there any way of getting the no zero displacements solutions? For now, what I have is basically this:

equation = EIy''[x] + Py[x] == 0

DSolve[{equation, y[0] == 0, y[L] == 0}, y[x], x]

Out[143]= {{y[x] -> 0}}

Thanks, Luís Valarinho

6 Replies

Replace y[L] ==0 with y'[0] == yp0 and then combine y[L] ==0 with the solution you get.

The solution given is correct but it isn't the only solution. Yes, you'll have to handle the boundary condition at L separately.

I recommend not using capital letters for your constants (or at least give them unique names) because for example I is the symbol for Sqrt[-1] and E is the euler number Here is how I would solve it:

In[13]:= Clear["Global`*"]

In[14]:= sol = 
 DSolve[{y''[x] + ps/(es is) y[x] == 0, y[0] == 0}, y[x], x]

Out[14]= {{y[x] -> C[2] Sin[(Sqrt[ps] x)/(Sqrt[es] Sqrt[is])]}}

In[15]:= Solve[Sqrt[ps] l/Sqrt[es is] == n Pi, ps]

Out[15]= {{ps -> (es is n^2 \[Pi]^2)/l^2}}

So, if I understood Mathematica doesn't solve the equation automatically.

The last boundary condition will have to be me adding it, right?

Ok, thanks!

Hello Kay!

Thanks for the suggestion. What I did actually was using the nomenclature that we use in Civil Engineering But you're right, it can lead to mistakes. Thanks for the other suggestions too. I was actually wondering if it is possible to do it in one step. We cannot ask Mathematica to give all the possible solutions? Or adding an assumption that C[2] should be different than zero? (something that is not necessarily truth).

Thanks, Luís Valarinho

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract