|
4 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica Course for college credit?

Posted 9 years ago

Does anyone know of any courses offered at any universities to learn mathematica that offer unit credits? There are a number of tutorials and courses on the wolfram site but I would like to have a dedicated instructor for a semester and college credit. Anyone heard of any classes offered anywhere? Maybe online?

POSTED BY: Michael McCain
4 Replies

Hi,

I am teaching an accredited course at Aberdeen University which could count as a Mathematica course. In fact it is called Mathematical Modelling, but we use many of Mathematica's features, including data analysis, statistics, web crawling, connected devices, symbolic and numerical calculations - and we assume no prior programming knowledge as pre-requisite. The course is also offered in a kind of video conferencing mode, i.e. in principle you could attend it off-site. It is routinely broadcast to all Scottish Universities and all lectures are also recorded.

There is some additional "lab" where we also introduce features such as parallel computing with Mathematica for which we use our computer cluster and also classroom PCs (remotely).

Best wishes,

Marco

PS: We have a site license and all students registered with us can use the license.

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 9 years ago

I have taught Physics 220 - Undergraduate Computational Physics at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) for over ten years. The course teaches the use of Mathematica to solve problems in physics.

POSTED BY: Kevin McCann

I've been trying to convince some of the marketing people that a free online course on Mathematica should be offered. I haven't had any success. There are a number of online courses that use or teach MATLAB and they provide a temporary license for the duration of the course plus a couple months. I think it would be good if Wolfram Research did something similar.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas

Thank you! This is great information!

POSTED BY: Michael McCain
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract