7 Replies
|
7 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

A promo or contest where I can obtain a fully activated copy of Mathematica

Posted 9 years ago

I really love your product and I try to minimize any copyright infringement at any level... So is there a way for little 'ole me to obtain a free fully activated copy of Mathematica??

POSTED BY: Ren Sena
7 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Considering the value of Mathematica, the price of a Mathematica home edition license at 295USD or 195USD per year is within epsilon of being free.

Mathematica Home Edition

POSTED BY: David Keith

Another option is the free tier of the Wolfram Cloud. It is not Mathematica, but you have access to (nearly) the full Wolfram Language.

I do fully agree with David, that Mathematica Home Edition is very good value for money. It is nearly like a promo.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Hi,

well, Mathematica is a very sophisticated product and Incan umderstand why they don't give it away for free. Also, there are versions that are basically free. One is on the raspberry Pi; if you take the latest board, you will find anresponsive copy of Mathematica on it. And then there is the Wolfram Cloud, where there is a free tier.

Asking for a free version appears to be like going to a car dealer and saying that you would like the car for free. Saying to strip Mathematica of some functionality is like saying that the car dealer can keep the radio, but should still give you the car.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 9 years ago

Well, at least the make the Computer Algebra System more distinct and separate from all other functionalities provided by the kernel and then make that part a trial for unlimited time. Then people will get hooked into the system and then you can entice them with much more advanced functionalities.

That, or you offload everything to Wolfram Cloud, which I can tell is expensive to run. You guys already have tons of functionalities and a big market share, so maybe streamline the design of the software system? Or are you guys in that process already?

Posted 9 years ago

No, I'm saying there are better business strategies that can be employed to boost sales and keep uptime for your servers low. A strategy that is obvious for other software companies.

You could try and trick Wolfram by sending them the licence fee each year!

If you are a student you can likely get licensed through your institution for free. Or, if not, a student licence is Staggeringly cheap.

POSTED BY: David Gathercole
Posted 9 years ago

I've seen Microsoft products that are cheaper.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract