Message Boards Message Boards

What can you do with MoMa dataset ?

I have recently visited MoMa (The Museum of Modern Art) in New York City, I always keep coming back there. To my surprise they have recently created an official MoMa GitHub account hosting data of their art collection, some basic metadata for each work, including title, artist, date made, medium, dimensions, and date acquired by the Museum.

How can we visualize and process MoMa data? What could we learn from this dataset? - please share your ideas

Below a simple stab at the topics of titles of the dataset.

1. Import data:

moma = SemanticImport["https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MuseumofModernArt/collection/master/Artworks.csv"]

enter image description here

2. Get the titles colum:

titles = Normal[moma[All, "Title"]];

3. Make single string, DeleteStopwords, get TextWords and remove all words shorter than 4 characters. Build WoedCloud:

str = StringJoin[titles];
    words = TextWords[DeleteStopwords[str]];
    filt = Select[words, StringLength[#] > 3 &];
    WordCloud[filt]

Hmmm.. I just have realized i can check who are most popular artists in the collection:

artist = Normal[moma[[All, "Artist"]]];
WordCloud[artist]

So the 8 top runners are:

leads = Sort[Tally[artist], #1[[2]] < #2[[2]] &][[-8 ;;]];
leads // TableForm

And now clouds about people in the cloud ;-) with WikipediaData (skipping unknown and blank):

WordCloud[DeleteStopwords[WikipediaData[#]]] & /@ leads[[All, 1]][[{1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8}]]

Update due to Michael's comment below:

Michael, thanks for the link. I really liked the idea of "modern" in MoMa. If this is a museum of "modern" art then it should modernize its collection pretty quickly moving with the step of time. In the dataset we infromation about dates of the creation (by artist) and acquisition (by MoMa) of the art. I got this visuals to inform us (points are creation-acquisition years pairs ):

Now what are they and how to build them. But we will have to clean the data. Lets use regular import now:

moma = Import["https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MuseumofModernArt/collection/master/Artworks.csv"];

The length of an entry is 14

Length@moma[[1]]

for exactly these categories:

moma[[1]] // Column

So out of

moma // Length

entries we keep only ones of the length 14 to avoid missing date entries:

momaLE = Select[moma[[2 ;; -1]], Length[#] == 14 &];
momaLE // Length

Now we get only columns 4 and 11 for creation and acquisition dates. And turn everything to strings:

momaDaStr = ParallelMap[ToString, momaLE[[All, {4, 11}]], {2}];

so out of the form

momaDaStr[[;; 6]]

{{"1896", "1996-04-09"}, {"1987", "1995-01-17"}, {"1903", "1997-01-15"}, {"1980", "1995-01-17"}, {"1903", "1997-01-15"}, {"1976-77", "1995-01-17"}}

it is easy just to grab first 4 characters of the year only (but first we have to get only those strings which are at least 4 characters):

momaYear = Select[momaDaStr, StringLength[#[[1]]] > 3 && StringLength[#[[2]]] > 3 &];
yeye = ParallelMap[StringTake[#, 4] &, momaYear];

Now get only number-strings and turn them into numbers:

numb = Select[yeye, StringMatchQ[#[[1]], NumberString] && StringMatchQ[#[[2]], NumberString] &];
pairs = ToExpression[ numb];

Alas we left with only:

pairs // Length

entries. Still a lot. Taking random sample of a few 1000s of entries makes a better visual:

ListPlot[RandomSample[pairs, 5000], PlotTheme -> "Marketing", 
 BaseStyle -> 15, PlotStyle -> Opacity[.3], AspectRatio -> Automatic]

But perhaps we need to see where the most points are concentrated so we use smooth kernel distribution and indeed a lot of entries line up tight to the 1-to-1 correspondence between acquisition and creation dates, that's the slanted edge:

Show[
   SmoothDensityHistogram[#, PlotRangePadding -> 0,  GridLines -> Automatic],
   Graphics[{Opacity[.7], Point[#]}],
   AspectRatio -> Automatic] &@RandomSample[pairs, 5000]

We can compute average delay in acquisition - it is about 30 years:

-Subtract @@@ pairs // Mean // N

What do we do next?

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
3 Replies

See the nice analysis at 538: A Nerd’s Guide To The 2,229 Paintings At MoMA

POSTED BY: Michael Trott

Great post! Let's see how old the artists were when they created these masterpieces.

First, I'll pick out the columns for the artist's bio and the painting date, and filter out works without a date entry:

bioanddate=moma[All,{"ArtistBio","Date"}][Select[NumericQ[#Date]&]]

Which gives us this:

The date column looks good, but we have to extract the year of birth from the ArtistBio column. This column is formatted differently for different artists, so I'll try a bit of a brute-force approach. The next piece of code splits the ArtistBio entries into words and years and selects everything that is a number:

yearsanddate=bioanddate[All,{"ArtistBio"->(Select[
StringSplit[#,{" ","\[Dash]",",","(",")"}], (!TrueQ[#==""]&&SubsetQ[CharacterRange["0","9"],
Characters[#]])&]&),"Date"->Identity}][Select[#ArtistBio!={}&]]

And we have:

From this dataset, we want the first entry of the ArtistBio column (assuming that even artists are born before they die), and the second column:

Histogram[-Subtract@@@Values[Normal[yearsanddate[All,{"ArtistBio"->(ToExpression[#[[1]]]&),
"Date"->Identity}]]],PlotTheme->{"Detailed","Large","LargeLabels"}]

I'll assume that the single-digit ages are possibly artifacts (pun definitely intended), so you could hunt those down if you like. Overall it looks like there is a fair share of pretty young artists. (Keep in mind that paintings from older artists are quite likely not their first work - Vitaliy already found that some artists at the MoMa are quite prolific.)

Something similar could be done for country of origin just to see how international the MoMa is. Which leads us to oddly specific questions such as the correlation between most prolific age and country of birth. (Although the results would be severely influenced by any purchase bias the MoMa may have, consciously or otherwise.)

POSTED BY: Bianca Eifert

Beautiful, Bianca, such a nice idea! If you look at the data you feeding into the Histogram, you may notice

data = -Subtract @@@ Values[Normal[yearsanddate[All, 
{"ArtistBio" -> (ToExpression[#[[1]]] &), "Date" -> Identity}]]];

MinMax[data]

{-75, 1968}

that min and max values are not the ages. Taking numbers only between 18 and 100 and hoping those are mostly ages:

ages = Select[data, 18 < # < 100 &];

we can find the distribution describing the data using machine learning function FindDistribution:

dis = FindDistribution[ages]

BorelTannerDistribution[0.6432, 16]

Curiously, it is related to branching processes and queueing theory and fits pretty nicely:

Show[
 Histogram[ages, Automatic, "PDF", PlotTheme -> {"Detailed", "Large", "LargeLabels"}], 
 DiscretePlot[PDF[dis, x], {x, 0, 100}, PlotRange -> All, PlotMarkers -> Automatic]]

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract