|
|
6 Replies
|
18 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Numerical solution for non linear Klein Gordon equation in 3+1 dimensions

We are looking into numerical solution of nonlinear Klein Gordon equation in 3+1 dimensions with periodic boundary conditions. We use a Gaussian as an initial condition. The problem could be solved for a small interval of time t=1. However NDSolve fails and show a ndsz error for higher values of t. We are attaching some plots for the solution we obtained so far.
l=5;k=1;Tf=1;u4[x_,y_,z_,t_]:=Exp[-x^2-y^2-z^2];dim4=NDSolve[{D[u[x,y,z,t],{t,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{x,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{y,2}]+D[u[x,y,z,t],{z,2}]+u[x,y,z,t]-k (u[x,y,z,t])^3==0,u[x,y,z,0]==u4[x,y,z,0],Derivative[0,0,0,1][u][x,y,z,0]==Derivative[0,0,0,1][u4][x,y,z,0],u[-l,y,z,t]==u[l,y,z,t],u[x,-l,z,t]==u[x,l,z,t],u[x,y,-l,t]==u[x,y,l,t]},u,{t,0,Tf},{x,-l,l},{y,-l,l},{z,-l,l}, Method->{"MethodOfLines","SpatialDiscretization"->{"TensorProductGrid","DifferenceOrder"->"Pseudospectral"}}]
We look at a plot for a fixed value of t and z. Its a slice of the four dimensional space which is seen.
DensityPlot[Evaluate[u[x,y,0,1]/.dim4],{x,-l,l},{y,-l,l},PlotRange->All,ColorFunction->"DarkRainbow",PlotPoints->40] 

When we try to solve it for larger time intervals we end up with an error as shown below.
l=5;k=1;Tf=2;u4[x_,y_,z_,t_]:=Exp[-x^2-y^2-z^2];dim2=NDSolve[{D[u[x,y,z,t],{t,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{x,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{y,2}]+D[u[x,y,z,t],{z,2}]+u[x,y,z,t]-k (u[x,y,z,t])^3==0,u[x,y,z,0]==u4[x,y,z,0],Derivative[0,0,0,1][u][x,y,z,0]==Derivative[0,0,0,1][u4][x,y,z,0],u[-l,y,z,t]==u[l,y,z,t],u[x,-l,z,t]==u[x,l,z,t],u[x,y,-l,t]==u[x,y,l,t]},u,{t,0,Tf},{x,-l,l},{y,-l,l},{z,-l,l},Method->{"MethodOfLines","SpatialDiscretization"->{"TensorProductGrid","DifferenceOrder"->"Pseudospectral"}}] 
We get the follwing error for large time interval.
NDSolve::ndsz: At t == 1.7240917274928276`, step size is effectively zero; singularity or stiff system suspected.
It will be great if some one help me out with this.
POSTED BY: Arnab Kar
6 Replies
Hi,

Why is the sign of the term D[u[x,y,z,t],{z,2}] positive? Shouldn't it be negative as in the x and y terms? If I change that sign the evolution proceeds normally. I've played a bit more with the equations, for longer times. I think the coupling constant k=1 is too strong, and leads to singularities too soon. Using k=0.5 produces nice evolutions for longer times. (Provided that the sign of the z-term is fixed).

Jose.

Hi Arnab,

It took me much less than that, but it may be because I used a development version of Mathematica to run your code.

Note that the pretty wavefront diagram in the image I attached was not produced by the nonlinear term, but by the boundary conditions, and therefore you can get it also with smaller coupling constants. In particular, I chose time 10 to make it coincide with the crossing time of the box (size 2*l =10 and speed 1). The imprint of the boundaries in the pattern is even clearer if you look at the field profile at earlier times . For example (this was with k=0.05):

Jose.

Posted 11 years ago
This works quite nicely. Notice the use of "StifnessSwitching". As you get closer to the true singularity, integration times will go up rapidly.

l=5;k=1;Tf=4;u4[x_,y_,z_,t_]:=Exp[-x^2-y^2-z^2];dim4=NDSolve[{D[u[x,y,z,t],{t,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{x,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{y,2}]-D[u[x,y,z,t],{z,2}]+u[x,y,z,t]-k (u[x,y,z,t])^3==0,u[x,y,z,0]==u4[x,y,z,0],Derivative[0,0,0,1][u][x,y,z,0]==Derivative[0,0,0,1][u4][x,y,z,0],u[-l,y,z,t]==u[l,y,z,t],u[x,-l,z,t]==u[x,l,z,t],u[x,y,-l,t]==u[x,y,l,t]},u,{t,0,Tf},{x,-l,l},{y,-l,l},{z,-l,l},Method->{"TimeIntegration"->"StiffnessSwitching","PDEDiscretization"->{"MethodOfLines","SpatialDiscretization"->{"TensorProductGrid","DifferenceOrder"->"Pseudospectral"}}}
POSTED BY: Itai Seggev
Hi Jose, 

Thanks a lot for your help. You were right about the sign.

However when I tried running the code with k=0.5 for about 40 minutes it did not give me a result. When I ran it for k=0.2, I did get a result in 3 secs. Could you let me know how long you ran the code  to get the result? 
Hi Jose,

Thanks a lot for your help. I was able to generate the plot this time with low value of k. 

But I was still wondering if there was any way to avoid that ndsz error which shows up for higher values of k. I know the non linearity is still preserved but it is made weaker by choosing a low value. 

Thanks once more.
Thanks a lot Itai. It worked for me. 

I will try running it for a longer time and see if a large time interval works for it or not. 
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract