Message Boards Message Boards

Math 10.4.0 is erasing first letters typed for a command. How to fix it?

My Mathematica 10.4 started to show the following anomalous behavior: As the first letters of a command are typed, the system freezes for a period of time (secs) and then ERASE the first two letters. If these letters are retyped on the same position the same freezing process occurs. In order to proceed, the initial letters have to be typed after the non-erased letters and then have the non-erased letters erased to give meaning for the command . I am using Windows 10 but this feature only occurs with Mathematica. Computer in use is a Dell Precision M6800.

As a trial to solve this annoying feature, Mathematica was uninstalled and installed again. Same odd behavior. Uninstalled again; code source erased and a fresh Mathematica download was performed and a brand new installation was done: SAME ODD BEHAVIOR.

Does anyone has seen this type of problem? Suggestions how to fix it?

POSTED BY: Geraldo Barbosa
5 Replies

Any idea what is making the file so big? I just checked my system (macOS) and the 10.4 file was 2 k, and my 11.0 file was 6 bytes. I use most of the predictive interface, except I usually have the suggestions bar hidden. I was using 11.0.x since late Spring, since I was a beta tester.

I just came across the same problem. I tried the workaround and it worked fine. Then I erased my 1.5 G+ CodeAssistHistory file, put back autocompletion and everything seems to work fine. I use Mathematica since 2011 and I had never found such a problem. I even thought it was due to the last Windows 10 update, because I only felt the problem after that, in this computer. I ran Mathematica 9 in an older computer under Windows 7 and, up to now, it works fine.

POSTED BY: Augusto Carreira

Thank you. I had a similar issue, with the same resolution. Mathematica 10.4, Ubuntu 14.04LTS Linux. After typing two letters of a command name, Mathematica would segmentation fault (sigsegv). I'd been using this installation for months (years? I forget when 10 came out) without problems prior to this. CodeAssistHistory10.4.m was 257Mb in size. Deleting it fixed the problem.

POSTED BY: Michael Woodhams

Dear Louis, TKS for your comment/solution. Eliminating the CodeAssistHistory.10.4.m file was effective to avoid that nasty feature. So the culprit is well identified. However, what gives me a bit worry is that everything was working fine before that sudden problem appeared. I wonder what could have caused that file corruption. I will report this to the Wolfram team; that may help identification of causes for this nuisance and a definite fix without losing features that some may find useful.

Anyway, TKS for your kind help. Geraldo

POSTED BY: Geraldo Barbosa
Posted 8 years ago

Short answer: It sounds like the the solution is to delete the file CodeAssistHistory10.4.m See below on how to find this file on your system.

On my (Linux) system the file is in a directory .$HOME/.Mathematica/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/SystemResources/FunctionalFrequency, if that helps you locate the file on your system. Sometimes this file on my system suddenly grows to 100's of MB and the front end slows down or stops entirely after typing only one or two characters. I originally found the solution here on the StackExchange.

There is also a work around for this problem. Simply turning off the autocompletion feature of the MMA front end will prevent MMA from slowing/stopping after one or two characters are typed. From the toolbar, select Edit->Preferences. On the Interface tab, uncheck the "Enable autocompletion with ..." option. That should allow you to use MMA without the odd behavior.

The following MMA commands should show you exactly where the CodeAssistHistory.10.4.m file is on your system and how large it is

dir = FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", 
   "SystemResources", "FunctionalFrequency"}]
SetDirectory[dir]
FileNames[]
FileByteCount["CodeAssistHistory10.4.m"]

If the above code says the CodeAssistHistory file size is only a few kilobytes, then that is not the problem. But if the file size is megabytes or larger, you should delete the file.

Don't forget to turn the autocompletion back on, if you want to use it.

POSTED BY: Louis Godwin
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract