Message Boards Message Boards

"Solving" a word combination lock

Posted 8 years ago

Maybe "solve" isn't quite the right word, but it still got me 90% of the way there...

My 7-year-old has one of those "word" locks for his bicycle — a cable lock whose combination has four dials, each with 10 different letters on it. Unfortunately, he didn't use the lock for several months, and when he tried to open it this morning he realized he had forgotten his combination.

We tried the obvious candidates: "poop," "burp," and so on. But nothing worked. I tried a few different physical hacks, but likewise without any success. But then I had an idea: we knew he had chosen a real word for his combination, and not just a random combination of 4 letters... so if I could generate a list of all the possible words you could make with the lock, maybe he'd spot something that would jar his memory.

I started out by typing the letters on each dial into a note on my phone, and emailed it to myself. Then I pasted that into Mathematica and assigned it to a variable:

In[10]:= letters = "B F r m d t s w p l  
E l o I a u y r w h  
K s n t m r e l a o 
L y p e t s m k g d ";

Then a little string processing:

In[11]:= dials = (ToLowerCase /@ StringSplit[#]) & /@ 
StringSplit[letters, "\n"]

Out[11]= {{"b", "f", "r", "m", "d", "t", "s", "w", "p", "l"}, {"e", 
"l", "o", "i", "a", "u", "y", "r", "w", "h"}, {"k", "s", "n", "t", 
"m", "r", "e", "l", "a", "o"}, {"l", "y", "p", "e", "t", "s", "m", 
"k", "g", "d"}}

Then get all the possible combinations of letters, taking one letter from each dial, and join them into strings:

In[12]:= tup = Tuples[dials];    
In[13]:= strings = StringJoin /@ tup;

And last, select all the words recognized by the internal spelling dictionary:

In[14]:= words = Select[strings, DictionaryWordQ];

So I ended up with a list of 843 words that we could easily scan through together... and amazingly enough, the forgotten combination happened to be within the first few dozen words of the resulting list.

In[17]:= Shallow[words]
Out[17]//Shallow= {"best", "bent", "bend", "bets", "berm", "berk", \
"berg", "beep", "beet", "bees", <<833>>}
POSTED BY: Alan Joyce
4 Replies

Another option is to sort words by their frequency of occurrence in the English language using WordFrequencyData:

sortedWords = SortBy[words, -WordFrequencyData[#] &]

This gives the following result:

Shallow[sortedWords]     
{that,from,were,they,more,will,them,time,some,what,<<833>>}

We can then further say that it is more likely that the word will be a Noun or a Verb, so we can obtain just those using WordData as follows:

nounsAndVerbs=Select[sortedWords,Or@@(MemberQ[{"Noun","Verb"},#]&/@WordData[#][[All,2]])&]

Despite all of this, I would be very surprised if "were" were the most common password used by kids for their bikes

Shallow[nounsAndVerbs]
{were,will,time,like,must,well,work,make,part,long,<<735>>}
POSTED BY: Danny Finn

Dear Alan,

this is a very nice example of how to be more efficient. Beautiful.

When I red you post I wondered whether I can find an order in which you might want to go through this words, assuming that you want to minimise the (single) changes to the dials - and ended up doing what Sander suggests. So if we take the words that you calculate:

letters = "B F r m d t s w p l  
  E l o I a u y r w h  
  K s n t m r e l a o 
  L y p e t s m k g d ";
dials = (ToLowerCase /@ StringSplit[#]) & /@ 
  StringSplit[letters, "\n"];
tup = Tuples[dials];
strings = StringJoin /@ tup;
words = Select[strings, DictionaryWordQ];

Take the first two words of that list:

words[[1 ;; 2]]
(*{"best", "bent"}*)

In this case we need to move the s one step forward to get to the n, because when we change the third letter the dial looks like this:

{"k", "s", "n", "t", "m", "r", "e", "l", "a", "o"}

So the n is one after the s, which means one turn of dial 3 will do the trick. We also have to consider that the dial is circular (I hope it is...). That means that the distance between k and o is only one. In oder to achieve this I will first convert the dials to number form, and then define a function to measure the distance. Each dial has 10 elements, so

rules = Rule @@@ Transpose @{#, Range[0, 9]} & /@ dials;
rules // TableForm

enter image description here

are the transformation rules for the four dials. We can now transform the words into numeral codes:

worddigits = 
  Transpose[(#[[1]] /. #[[2]]) & /@ (Transpose@{Transpose[Characters[words]], rules})];

Next we define the distance function like so:

dist[a_, b_] := 
 Total[If[Abs[#[[1]] - #[[2]]] < 5, Abs[#[[1]] - #[[2]]], 10 - Abs[#[[1]] - #[[2]]]] & /@ Transpose[{a, b}]]

There are nicer ways of achieving this using modulo but this one is intuitive and will do. Using this function we can confirm that the distance between the first two words is:

dist[worddigits[[1]], worddigits[[2]]]

is one. We will now use FindShortestTour with this new distance function.

shortestcircle = FindShortestTour[worddigits, DistanceFunction -> dist];

One of the problems is that the tour is a circle, i.e. we go back to the first word. As we only need each word once we can delete the (not necessarily unique) step which needs most rotations.

longeststep = 
  Flatten[Position[#, Max[#]] & @(dist[worddigits[[#[[1]]]], worddigits[[#[[2]]]]] & /@ Partition[Drop[shortestcircle[[2]], -1], 2, 1])][[1]];

The length of that step is 4 in our example and it occurs at

{16, 271, 361, 364, 828, 830}

We choose the first position in our function above. The next function calculates the order we should use:

order = RotateLeft[Drop[shortestcircle[[2]], -1], longeststep];

We can now display the order in which we should do this:

Shallow[words[[order]]]
{"roes", "foes", "fort", "fore", "fire", "firs", "firm", "form", \
"fork", "folk", <<833>>}

The total number of rotations of the dials is:

Total[dist[worddigits[[#[[1]]]], worddigits[[#[[2]]]]] & /@ Partition[order, 2, 1]]

which gives 1140. We can compare that to the original order

Total[dist[#[[1]], #[[2]]] & /@ Partition[worddigits, 2, 1]]

which gives 2622, which means that we only have to do about 43% of the original work. Note that this calculation ignores the original position of the dials. If we have it, then we can just add it to the original list and at the end RotateLeft the order to that starting "word".

Note, that our order is actually quite good. If you look at the histogram of the number of steps/rotations from one word to the next you get:

BarChart[#[[All, 2]], ChartLabels -> #[[All, 1]], PlotTheme -> "Scientific", 
   LabelStyle -> Directive[Bold, Medium]] &@Tally[dist[worddigits[[#[[1]]]], worddigits[[#[[2]]]]] & /@ Partition[order, 2, 1]]

Hence, most of the times we only need one step. If we compare that to the original order

BarChart[#[[All, 2]], ChartLabels -> #[[All, 1]], PlotTheme -> "Scientific", 
LabelStyle -> Directive[Bold, Medium]] &@SortBy[Tally[dist[#[[1]], #[[2]]] & /@ Partition[worddigits, 2, 1]], 2]

it becomes clear that we have somewhat improved. I hope that this helps all the rotation lock pickers out there...

Cheers,

Marco

PS: I was quite curious which words might need 14 (!) rotations of the dials. They are words 328 and 329: "mule" and "desk". On the dials given they in fact need 14 rotations.

Obviously an alphabetical order is worse than our order, but still much better than a random order of words:

numberofswitches = 
  Table[Total[dist[#[[1]], #[[2]]] & /@ Partition[RandomSample[worddigits], 2, 1]], {2000}];
Histogram[numberofswitches]

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations !

We are happy to see you at the top of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

I once did something similar! But then I also used FindShortestTour to move through all of them using the least amount of dial-movements (using periodicity to your advantage).... So in your example the 'distance' between B and p (first dial) would just be two; not 8.

quite a lot of 4 letter words btw!

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract