Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Open Mathematic using App icon after update from 11.0 to 11.0.1 on iMac?

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 8 years ago

Hi,

After upgrade I can no longer open Mathematica using the Launchpad App Icon - only can launch from Terminal.

I did follow instructions (move /Applications/Mathematica.app aside, Open-q (quit app) Mathematica before preceeding.

The download then upgrade went fine and I was using a simple note taking todo notebook after. Though I'd already saved once or twice, when i hit Open(apple)-s (save) Mathematica 11.0.1 crashed.

When I re-opened I selected "ignore" then it asked me a second question, something like "your newly installed app crashed do you want to validate". Well i don't know which one I picked I can't recall the question totally. It began validating (all 3 gigabytes apparently) and ended with "This app was not downloaded from the App Store so it cannot be validated" (and of course: Mathematica doesn't open).

If I start Mathematica from Terminal I don't get that message. My question is should I re-install? I guess so. But I have no choice to remove either. Anyway - if app validation needs to happen while the app is open "the first time", then it should warn me it's doing that, so that I know to be dainty and delicate and close it before "something happens" and I get locked out.

I did check the md5 of the download, it matched, not a bad download.

If anyone experienced this "crashes while saving 11.0 notebook after upgrade to 11.0.1" say so. And if anyone has idea how to clear that iMac bug I cannot somehow validate it manually, please tell me how to do that. I have no idea where iMac (Safari) would keep such a state file on app status (ie, is it in defaults(1) settings?)

Thank you

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
2 Replies
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks that did help.

I had nothing (no cloud data, no settings needing to be kept) and rm'ed the whole tree. I then re-installed, having closed Mathematica first.

rm -r /Applications/Mathematica.app/

rm -r ~/Library/Mathematica/

Install the usual way, and everything works and appears as if 11.0 was just freshly installed on a new iMac.

Mathematica doesn't offer "x" (one click remove app) like apps from App Store. I had misinterpreted that as being that the mathematica installer process would "just know" (mac spoils one at times, but it does have normal PC needs in many places)

POSTED BY: Anonymous User

I have no issues at all on my system. (MacBook Pro 15 inch + retina, NVIDIA GPU, macOS Sierra)

You can try resetting Mathematica to its default configuration. Here is a link to the tech support article with the details:

Resetting Mathematica

Cutting to the chase, the first thing to do is to hold down the option and shift keys while double-clicking the Mathematica Icon in the Applications folder. If this doesn't work, you can delete (move to a safe place) the user libraries as described in the article.

If this does not work, then a complete re-install may be necessary -- what version of the macOS are you running?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract