A tired topic: importing from Excel into Mathematica

I’ve spent some time attempting to import data from Excel, the sheet of data I want to import is 72 rows x 30 columns but it seems no matter what i try only two columns are copied in a readable format. Data import of large arrays is very easy in Mathcad, Matlab, etc., why so difficult in Mathematica?

If there is a work around for this kind of situation I’m all ears.

I import excel files (xlsx) and csv files frequently and encounter no problem. Would you mind attach your file and your code for import? so I can have a check.

I’ve added the files I’m working with. The excel file contains data for overhead cables, one cable per row.
G

sagtensionfunctions.m (259 Bytes)
ssc.xlsx (22.2 KB)

Hi Gerald,

Try this to Import 72 rows and 30 columns.

data = Import["~/Downloads/ssc.xlsx", {"Data", 1, 1 ;; 72, 1 ;; 30}];
Dimensions@data
(* {72, 30} *)

I can easily import the XLSX file

data= Import[“c:\Users\lvveen\Downloads\ssc.xlsx”, {“Data”, “Sheet1”, 1 ;; 72, 1 ;; 30}];
% // Dimensions

Gives
{72, 30}

data[[All, 2]] // Total

gives
-66552.4

Many thanks, I’m only a few days with this program and find the syntax unlike anything I’ve used in the past, but its progress.