Hi friends. I am having troubles with importing relatively large Excel sheets --not huge, but rather large (60 000+ rows, 150 columns).
When I try to import the database as a whole, I get the following error:
Import::fmterr: Cannot import data as XLS format.
I separated the Excel file into several files, one per column. If I try to import them manually, I can, but if I try to import them programmatically (Map[Import, names], where names are the names of each column file) I get the same error messages,
I suggest saving the excel spreadsheet as a CSV file and import it into Mathematica from the CSV. Version 11.3 has some big CSV import improvements and there are new options that will handle any data format (ie strings with or without quotes, etc)
I agree that CSV is the best option. But I ended up having to import 5GB’s of excel files (200-300MB each) and the latest Mathematica Import did it without a problem - no Java issues anymore.
Like Kyle mentioned there are some minor bugs with non-ASCII characters on filepaths and perhaps in the file in XLS in 11.3 (only on Windows) which are absolutely being addressed in the next version.
Remember that increasing Java won’t help in 11.3 since XLS/XLSX import no longer uses Java!
I think the work on Import["*.xlsx"] is really good. I did report a bug in 11.3 where Import failed if there was a chart sheet before a data sheet. I have to manually move chart sheets to the end of the workbook before importing. It’s been very reproducible and didn’t happen in 11.2.
Hi Eric, keep your eyes peeled for the next version of Wolfram Language, the bug involving sheets with charts in XLS and XLSX has been solved, among many other important bug fixes.