Hello,
I have been struggling (actually for several years) to accurately solve a BVP similar to the following BVP, using MATHEMATICA:
y"(x) - (s + x)*y(x) == 0, y'(0) == -1, y(infinity) == 0
, where s is a positive parameter from the range between 0 and 10^2 (let’s say) or higher.
The above example possesses an analytical solution in terms of Airy functions, but my problem (slightly different) can only be solved
numerically. I need a very high accuracy (relative errors 10^(-32) or smaller), but MATHEMATICA seems to fail to achieve even much
worse accuracy, despite the propaganda that it can in principle provide an arbitrary accuracy of any calculations.
The problem formulated as a BVP (also with infinity replaced by a finite distance) apparently cannot be solved with errors smaller than about 10^(-n)
where n = 2-5 or so. Somewhat better effects can be achieved by converting the BVP to an initial value problem and using the shooting
method (programmed by hand), but the accuracy is still insufficient. I have not been able to obtain correct results by using the shooting method built into the BVP solver of recent versions of MATHEMATICA.
So, I definitely need an expert advice how to proceed in order obtain the relative errors 10^(-32).
Leslaw