Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Add a color legend to a contour plot?

Posted 6 years ago

Here is a command that generates a temp vs x and y.

It gives a nice 3 d contour with color shading, but no legend that says what. Value is assigned to each color.

Plot3D[ufun[x, y], {x, xlow, xhigh}, {y, ylow, yhigh}, ColorFunction -> "TemperatureMap"]

What to add to get the color legend?

3 Replies

Hi,

let me try to give a slightly more specific example:

ufun[x_, y_] := Cos[(x^2 + y^2)] Exp[-0.1 (x^2 + y^2)]
{xlow, xhigh} = {-6, 6};
{ylow, yhigh} = {-6, 6};
Plot3D[ufun[x, y], {x, xlow, xhigh}, {y, ylow, yhigh}, ColorFunction -> "TemperatureMap", PlotPoints -> 50, PlotRange -> All, PlotLegends -> Automatic]

enter image description here

Is that what you are looking for? That is, of course, not a ContourPlot. A ContourPlot would look like this:

ContourPlot[ufun[x, y], {x, xlow, xhigh}, {y, ylow, yhigh}, ColorFunction -> "TemperatureMap", PlotRange -> All, Contours -> 50, PlotLegends -> Automatic, ContourStyle -> None]

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Hi,

this is not particularly good, but I think it might work. I generate a list of frames and animate them so that it becomes clear that the colour bar is the same as the values of the function change:

ufun[x_, y_] := Cos[(x^2 + y^2)] Exp[-0.1 (x^2 + y^2)]
{xlow, xhigh} = {-6, 6};
{ylow, yhigh} = {-6, 6};

Monitor[frames = 
Table[GraphicsRow[{Plot3D[a ufun[x, y], {x, xlow, xhigh}, {y, ylow, yhigh}, ColorFunction -> (ColorData["TemperatureMap"][Rescale[#3, {-1.5, 1.5}]] &), ColorFunctionScaling -> False, PlotPoints -> 40, PlotRange -> {All, All, {-2, 2}}], 
BarLegend[{"TemperatureMap", {-1.5, 1.5}}]}, ImageSize -> Large,Alignment -> {{Center, Left}}], {a, 1, 1.5, 0.02}];, a]

This can be done easier, but the code gives you quite some control about nearly all parts of the image.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Thanks for the answer!!

I would like to force the high and low color cutoffs of the function being plotted so that when I compare two similar plots, red, blue ...etc means the same numerical value in both plots. How would you do that?

Thanks in advance

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract