Message Boards Message Boards

Create equal time maps for transit network (Isochrones)?

Posted 6 years ago

I am on a committee looking to redesign transit service in Sacramento and need to be able to make equal-time maps or "isochrones," like the attached. A prominent difference between transit isochrones and road isochrones is that each transfer has a temporal penalty. That is, it takes time to wait for the connecting bus. Also, that penalty is lower where the connecting routes are more frequent and higher where the connecting routes are less frequent. Also, some routes only serve stations, while others are considered to have a even distribution of stops along their routes.

(If you are interested in why I want to be able to generate isochrones: I am interested in a hybrid model between frequency and coverage that still creates a high-frequency grid between major traffic generators, but with routes that take different branches between the generators. This offers both frequency and coverage. Currently, the debate is binary, frequency or coverage.)

Thank you very much!!

a transit isochrone showing the amount of time required to reach different regions within the network

POSTED BY: Benjamin Etgen
3 Replies
POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

A way to construct isochrones would interest me as well – but in my case for early modern postal networks.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Arno Bosse

data for a small example problem and the expected result would help

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract