Message Boards Message Boards

What is the x-axis in this graph?

Posted 5 years ago

Hello,

I've been experimenting with Mathematica and wanted to make a nice plot comparing the diameter of the moons in the solar system. I have a plot that I like, however I cannot identify what the x-axis represents. I have looked extensively in the documentation, looked at all properties of Mab (it is close to 150 on the x-axis, so I hoped to identify a property by it being close to 150 in value), tried sorting the list before plotting and did some Google searches. Can anyone help identifying what that axis means? Thanks in advance.

The code is: moons = PlanetaryMoonData[All, "Diameter", "EntityAssociation"]; ListLogPlot[moons, AxesLabel -> Automatic]

Result: moons by diameter

POSTED BY: Hans Isbrücker
4 Replies

Hello Hans, in the absence of any other information, functions like ListPlot[] use the index of the list as the x-axis. Ganymede is the 11th element in the list 'moons', and so appears at x=11.

In[2] := Length[moons]
Out[2] = 182

And this is why the x-axis goes up to 182.

It's there! :)

enter image description here

POSTED BY: l van Veen

Thank you for your response. I have tested it by reversing the list and it does seem the case. Earlier I had sorted the list and didn't note the differences so I thought I had ruled it out.

moons reversed plotted

It would be nice if this behaviour was clear from the documentation though.

Totally missed it :O

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract