|
3 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Remote kernel shuts down after several seconds

Posted 10 years ago
I have problems with using remote kernels.
I have Mathematica 9 installed on two Windows Server 2008 R2 machines. Now i want to try using one of them as a frontend with local kernels and the other one for remote kernels.
OpenSSH 6.5 for Windows is installed on both machines and key authentication is configured without a passphrase. SSH connection works normally.

Here is the frontend configuration. In Preferences -> Parallel -> Remote Kernels i Add Host and use the custom launch command:
ssh -f -n user@remote_ip c:/progra~1/wolfra~1/mathematica/9.0/math -mathlink -linkmode Connect -linkprotocol TCPIP -linkname 'some_port@local_ip,some_port2@local_ip' -subkernel -noinit
For test purposes i set 2 remote and 2 local kernels in settings. After that in the notebook i try to call:
Parallel`Settings`$MathLinkTimeout = 40
LaunchKernels[]
and launch Task Manager on both machines. At first two cmd windows appear and instantly close. Then i can see that two MathKernel.exe processes start on loca lmachine and math.exe processes start on remote machine, but after nearly 20 seconds remote processes shut down. Local kernels stay running. After timeout i see an error output.
SubKernels`Protected`kernelFlush::time: Operation LinkWrite timed out after 40 seconds.
KernelObject::rdead: Subkernel connected through remote[remote_ip] appears dead. >>
SubKernels`Protected`kernelFlush::time: Operation LinkWrite timed out after 40 seconds.
KernelObject::rdead: Subkernel connected through remote[remote_ip] appears dead. >>
Out[9]= {KernelObject[7,local],KernelObject[8,local],$Failed,$Failed}

I tried this solution. It works, so it's not a problem of connection or firewall.
When i try to run ssh command in the command line, math.exe starts on remote machine and then closes itself. After that on the local machine in the command line i see this message:
LinkConnect::linkc:
-- Message text not found -- (
LinkObject[some_port@local_ip,some_port2@local_ip, 3, 1])

Thanks beforehand. A solution would be greatly appreciated.
POSTED BY: Paul B
3 Replies
Just to make it explicit, does Mathematica with local kernels work fine on both machines? 
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Posted 10 years ago
Yes, it works fine.
POSTED BY: Paul B
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract