Message Boards Message Boards

Several questions, but mostly what are nodes?

Posted 3 years ago

OK, so I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the rules surrounding how nodes work, but this question is a little different, I want to know what a node actually represents in rule space. Are they little processors being co-opted out of an endless block of computronium? Are they deformations in some kind of computational topology? Why do they seem to be freely created and destroyed without cost? The same questions could technically be applied to edges, etc. If nodes aren't free or infinitely created, does that mean there is an infinite Turing tape out there (infinite free storage to store node states) chunking away? That feels less elegant to my flavor receptors.

Also, is there a way rules can influence other rules? Can universes rub against each other? Steal each other's computational power?

Is there some kind of conservation law at work for computation, nodes, or storage?

When connections pop up between existing nodes that had no previous connection, how does a node "know" how to form that new edge? Or is each possible unique computational state always existing somewhere and does the processing of these hypergraphs just weave patterns among these nodes?

These are the questions I've got burning in my mind right now. And others, but I'm trying not to be too overwhelming.

POSTED BY: Michael Leza
8 Replies

In any formal system, you need to have undefined terms, i.e., terms that cannot be analyzed in simpler terms. Otherwise, you will never end the explanations. So, the easiest answer to your question

I want to know what a node actually represents in rule space

is that the nodes and the hyperedges are undefined terms from which everything else emerges. It is like the strings in string theory: they are not made of something more fundamental, they are the most fundamental objects in their theory. Nevertheless, this status does not exclude the possibility that the nodes, if they exist in nature, may have internal structures. If this is the case, then a more precise theory could be developed in the same way that the theory of quarks was made in order to express the internal structure of protons, neutrons and other particles.

And what name do we use to refer to the situation before the first node is drawn? (or after the last one is removed).

POSTED BY: Leonardo Cabana
Posted 3 years ago

That's the phase transition between primordial chaos and primordial order. Rulial rain on an endless ocean of half computed universes and primordial order icebergs.

Posted 3 years ago
POSTED BY: Carl Lundgren
Posted 3 years ago

Michael:

I wish I had an answer for you. But when you figure this out, there might be a great sci-fi story to be told about these nodes and edges.

POSTED BY: Mike Besso
Posted 3 years ago

I'll get right on it. Should only take me a decade or two. No biggie.

Wouldn't it be funny if the fundamental rule was a computational expression of "Whatever makes a good story." Narrative becomes the fundamental concept at the heart of our universe? ;)

Posted 3 years ago

I won't be surprised if the new Wolfram Model has some of the secrets.

But to be fair, we already know the answer is 42. But we have to figure out the question.

Just remember to bring your towel with you.

POSTED BY: Mike Besso
Posted 3 years ago

No problem there, as a hoopy frood, I always have a towel with me.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract