Message Boards Message Boards

Computational chess 1: restart a game w/ Forsyth–Edwards Notation (FEN)

Posted 3 years ago

The second part of the blog about StockFish 12 Link is found here

POSTED BY: Shenghui Yang
2 Replies

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Ok, that's going to sound lazy of me, but may I suggest a project with this ?

On chesstempo.com, there is an opening training function. It uses the spaced repetition method and it's very nice but there is one problem : you have to pick your openings. I don't like having to pick opening lines. I don't know what is the best response to any particular line, and grandmaster games use several approaches, who am I to pick one ? I know I could just pick one that suits my style, but I don't like having to do that kind of analysis, it defeats the purpose of the spaced repetition method, which is a bit of a "dumb", brute force approach to memorization (and I like that dumb, brute force method, it's paradoxically satisfying).

Anyway, I wish there was a program that would automatically build an opening book.

It would be a something like this :

BuildChessOpeningBook[
    color_,  (* do we want an opening book for black or white ? *)
    depth_, (* max number of half-moves to study *)
    maxBranching_, (* max number of good opponent moves to put in the book *)
    maxTime_, (* number of seconds of analysis per position *)
    contempt_  (* could be used to impose style : large contempt for aggressive openings *)
]
POSTED BY: Lucien Grondin
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract