Message Boards Message Boards

Dust loops: artificial chaotic motion of particles

MODERATORS' NOTE: This post is based on the tumblr blog found here.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Sumit Sijher
8 Replies

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Nice! Looking forward to see more of your cool explorations with WL codes

POSTED BY: Mads Bahrami

Thanks Wolfram for allowing me to share and everyone for viewing! Keep your eyes out for some posts from my tumblr blog where I first started playing with Mathematica: https://intothecontinuum.tumblr.com/ : )

When I saw images on your blog for the first time I was truly fascinated, -- very artful. I still visit sometimes and keep enjoying them. I'm so happy that you've joined Wolfram Community and your works will be displayed here. Many folks on this forum are fans of visual arts and will be glad to discover your works. Thank you :-)

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

Thanks a lot, Vitaliy! I not only remember, but have been encouraged by and appreciate your interest from the very beginning. Cheers!

Sumit Sijher Not really Brownian random dust motion: I'm seeing patterns in the animation and clumping on the borders. But the programming is excellent. If you used RandomInteger[n] or the like it might remove the patterns. The border clumping is probably the chladni plate effect of using Integer Cos[] locators. I wish you luck in your animations. Roger Lee Bagula

POSTED BY: Roger L. Bagula
Posted 3 years ago

Sumit, your work is simply amazing. Thanks for sharing!

POSTED BY: Philip Anon

Hi, Roger Thanks for the reply! You are right there really is no randomness here at all! Perhaps just the illusion of such to the less observant ; ) The motion of the particles is completely deterministic and their trajectories are parametrized as, I think maybe some variant of Lissajous Curves. There are actually only 5 different paths that the particles take, and 1000 particles on each path.

Your comment about the border clumping is interesting, and I hadn't thought about that in relation to Chladni patterns. The curves are defined to lie completely inside the images frame, and the border corresponds to points where the curve take on local max/min. Moreover, their trigonometric form also seems to make the points move slower at the borders, enhancing the clumping effect. That reminds me of those Chladni pattern experiments with sand on vibrating plates, where the sand clumps at the vibrational nodes!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract