Message Boards Message Boards

Course models: Disease Ecology & Evolution, Evolutionary Medicine

MODERATOR NOTE: coronavirus resources & updates: https://wolfr.am/coronavirus

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Gareth Russell
5 Replies

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

This started off as a notebook about ecological metapopulations, the basic model of which is identical to the SIS model of disease. In fact, what I posted was half of the actual notebook: the main one starts with a section on metapopulations (I have deleted that for students who are just interested in disease models). And that metapopulation notebook is one chapter in what is effectively a textbook (about 12 notebooks) on computational ecology! It was for a graduate course with that title. What I posted here is a spin-off that I use in a different undergraduate course. Sadly, I haven't taught the computational ecology course for a while. The notebooks are not in terrible shape, but the code would need some polishing if I taught it again. Especially as that course was intended also to introduce students to coding in the Wolfram Language. But I'd like to!

What a wonderful material, @Gareth ! Do you have other notebook modules in your course? Many educators here on this network would highly appreciate such through work.

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

Thanks. That paclet looks very interesting. This particular notebook is 80% about the writing and 20% about the code (which is why relatively little code is exposed, at least until the last section). But the paclet functions will certainly make the building of proper models easier, especially the ability to specify age structure without having to code all the equations by hand!

Very nice!

Please see if the new CompartmentalModeling paclet can make your teaching easier. I'd be more than happy to work with you to that end.

Bob

POSTED BY: Robert Nachbar
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract