|
17 Replies
|
20 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 10.2 Available

Posted 9 years ago

As you may have already heard, Mathematica 10.2 was recently released! Version 10.2 has over 100 new functions, including increased cloud operations and connectivity to external data and services.

Get more details about what's new in Mathematica 10.2 at:

To learn more about select new functions and how you can use them, see the Developer Insights on our blog: http://blog.wolfram.com/category/developer-insights

POSTED BY: Emily Suess
17 Replies

Does anyone know if this be free update for Home Edition v10.1 users or will it require a second USD90 upgrade fee?

As a side note, I don't understand why Wolfram doesn't publicize this kind of information on their website. As far as I can remember, it wasn't publicized for the 10.02 to 10.1 upgrade either.

POSTED BY: Arno Bosse

Great stuff ! I guess Stephen tweeting about it is quite publicizing ;-)

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie

After all that Euro crisis it's nice to see that you have added an example of finding a Hamiltonian path from Greece to Germany: http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/FindHamiltonianPath.html#

;-)

Great stuff. It would be nice to have a list somewhere of the bugs fixed, especially those discussed in this community, such as EntityValue[]. I am sure that there are others.

Posted 9 years ago

The upgrade to 10.2 is only free if you have purchased Home Edition within the last 30 days, you have purchased an upgrade for your Home Edition license within the past 30 days, or you have an Annual license.

We are doing our best to spread the word about the 10.2 release, and our home page is one of several places we've made the announcement. (There's a tile encouraging visitors to check out what's new in the Wolfram Language with Mathematica 10.2.)

I agree, it would be great to have such a list.

I can confirm that the EntityValue[] problem has been fixed.

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 9 years ago

How soon should this show up in for Home Annual users? I still only see 10.1 in my User Portal.

POSTED BY: Kirk Klobe
Posted 9 years ago

When will it be available for Premier Service customers?

POSTED BY: David Watson

New releases are usually rolled out to Premier Service customers over a period of several days, probably to avoid overloading the servers. I got mine yesterday, so yours should be soon.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas

My point wasn't so much about announcing the 10.2 release as such but its pricing and update path. For example, although I'm very glad these quite substantial point releases are happening, when I purchased MMA Home Edition (10.0.1, I believe), I did not know this change to a system of point releases was happening, nor that I would need to pay for them, nor what the updates would cost. AFAIK, this information was not publicized anywhere at that time. Then, when 10.1 was released, I don't recall (I may be wrong) receiving an email or seeing a blog post or a support article about the new pricing model either.

Now that we've gone from 10.1 to 10.2 another issue comes into play. Since there were no dot releases between 10.1 and 10.2, if you don't purchase an annual plan, does this mean that you effectively don't get any bug fixes either? Or will these continue to be handled via paclets? Or just for some bugs? Well, perhaps there will be a 10.2.1 or 10.3.1 as well, but who knows?

I also don't know how many more 10.x releases to expect (even roughly). Will I be paying for three more, four more? Each one will cost 95 dollars (I can only assume). And if I skip one, do I then pay $190 to go from from e.g. 10.2 to 10.4? Or, if 10.x releases are really free for Home Edition users who have purchased an upgrade in the last 30 days, perhaps I should wait and only upgrade just before every second update. Save myself half the price. This, surely, is not intended, so I wonder if the 30 day offer will really hold.

These are the kinds of questions which should really be answered in an FAQ somewhere but AFAIK are not.

POSTED BY: Arno Bosse
Posted 9 years ago

Your upgrade should be showing in your user portal now. It does take a little time for the notifications to reach everyone.

It appears that an annual license for the Home Edition is the better deal. Too bad this is not made clear on the website -- that there are likely to be multiple upgrades in a given year. Before version 10, upgrades (requiring an upgrade fee) were between a year an 18 months or so, making the difference in price between buying outright and an annual 'rental' much smaller. Personally, I prefer having software that doesn't become non-functional if you don't keep paying a fee. However, aside for the 'classic' Desktop Mathematica, there seems to be a trend towards a subscription model.

Customer service might be able to help. Since this is a new problem -- only with version 10 and beyond, there may be a different policy.

I looked into giving up my Premier service in favor of the home edition when I retired, and I am glad that I did not. Once you get over the hump of buying the initial license (a big hump, and fortunately well in the past for me), the annual Premier service is a bargain.

Nice. We wonder: when exactly will we get the Wolfram CDF Player 10.2?

POSTED BY: Rolf Mertig

Also a working Wolfram Workbench and Lightweight Grid manager for version 10.x would be great to have.

Posted 9 years ago

What a disappointment that buying a license for version 10 doesn't include bug-fixes for version 10. How many dot-releases is a person expected to pay for at $90 for each time?

"The upgrade to 10.2 is only free if you have purchased Home Edition within the last 30 days, you have purchased an upgrade for your Home Edition license within the past 30 days, or you have an Annual license."

Can someone please point me to where that is stated in the purchase agreement/license agreement?

POSTED BY: Paul Anderson

I think Wolfram just really wants to sell the annual model instead of single never-expiring never-updating licenses. Renting software is definitely en vogue these days...

POSTED BY: Bianca Eifert
Posted 9 years ago

that's fine - it's their business, but it's obviously not widely known that the purchase price does not include bug fixes.

I have yet to see where it says in the license agreement "no updates after 30 days" - see Arno Bosse's post upthread.

Very disappointing.

POSTED BY: Paul Anderson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract