Message Boards Message Boards

Need serious help with lists!

Posted 9 years ago

Here is my code:

(* Take inputs for ECEF *) x = Input["What is the x coordinate?"]; y = Input["What is the y coordinate?"]; z = Input["What is the z coordinate?"];

(* Put in Coordinate Form *) GeoPositionXYZ[{x, y, z}, "ITRF00"];

(* Convert to LLA *) GeoPosition[%]

(* Display Map *) GeoGraphics[GeoMarker[GeoPosition[%]],GeoRange -> "World", GeoProjection -> "Robinson"]

It lets me input coordinates for one point in ECEF, then converts it to latitude/longitude/height and shows it on a map.

I want to keep showing the 2d map... but I also want to show a 3d globe that locates the coordinates on the 3d cartesian plane also. I need to be able to put in more than one coordinate. It needs to keep asking for more x's, more y's, more z's... until I stop inputting them. Eventually it's going to be modified to pull them out of a text file, but for now these two changes need to be made. Any ideas/hints/help/guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

POSTED BY: Nathan Lundholm
11 Replies

I give up. Mathematica, please give me a refund. I'm dropping out of school because I have no future in this line of work. I don't have an IQ of 500000 so I'll never be able to learn Mathematica.

Please don't stop helping me.

Also, how do I read back all the contents of a list?

Right now I need to learn how to manipulate the lists in the first place. How do I add new x value to xlist? Is it Append[xlist, x] ?

Posted 9 years ago

Figuring out how programming works is a real hurtle.

Figuring out how Mathematica progamming works can be a hurtle on top of two other hurtles.

For your lists, what about something like this inside your While

{GeoGraphics[GeoMarker[GeoPosition[{x, y, z}]], GeoRange -> "Country"], 
 GeoGraphics[GeoMarker[GeoPosition[{x, y, z}]], GeoRange -> "World", GeoProjection -> "Robinson"]
}

but this is doing things with new parts of Mathematica that I've never even seen before.

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson

If I want 3 lists will xlist={} and ylist={} and zlist={} work?

Sure.

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

That might actually be helpful... if there was anyway for anyone other than a rocket scientist to understand how to create empty lists in the first place... I've read the entry for lists a trillion times and the only lists that seem possible to make are prepopulated by hardcoded data.

Hi,

list={}

Cheers,

Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 9 years ago

Hint for the second part of your question: Look up While in the help system. Could that do something for you?

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson

That might actually be helpful... if there was anyway for anyone other than a rocket scientist to understand how to create empty lists in the first place... I've read the entry for lists a trillion times and the only lists that seem possible to make are prepopulated by hardcoded data.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract