|
3 Replies
|
12 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Patterns in CA evolutions

Hello everyone!
Todd R. and I were doing some experiments with 2D CAs. Our goal was to find something unusual.
After a few tries, by observing a slice of the evolution of 2D totalistic rule 169, we observed some "circular" patterns.
The code to get what we were analyzing is:
ArrayPlot[CellularAutomaton[{169, {2, 1}, {1, 1}}, {{{1}}, 0}, {1000,All, {{0}}}]]
And the output is:

Do you also see this "circular" shapes in the evolution above?
If these patterns actually happen to exist, this would be interesting since "circular" patterns do not tend to be common in this type of CA.
That is it =)
What is your opinion about it??
POSTED BY: Luan Ozelim
3 Replies
This gets closer to what I was seeing, but I am still not sure if it is there or not.

ColorQuantize[Image[ArrayPlot[CellularAutomaton[{169, {2, 1}, {1, 1}}, {{{1}}, 0}, {1000, {{0}}}]]], 4]
Adding Blur brings out the curve a little better(?)

Curves in rigid lattices will always have some ambiguity.  There is definitely something here, and at other scales too, but do they count as curves?
POSTED BY: Todd Rowland
Maybe image processing can help to find round structures? Below examples are too primitive to find some meaningful structures, but maybe someone can harness them to build more sophisticated filters.
img = Image[CellularAutomaton[{169, {2, 1}, {1, 1}}, {{{1}}, 0}, {1000, {{0}}}]];

ArrayPlot[ImageData[GradientFilter[img, 15]], ColorFunction -> "TemperatureMap"]

Binarize[GradientFilter[img, 15] // ImageAdjust, .09] // MorphologicalComponents // Colorize

GradientOrientationFilter[img, 60] // ImageAdjust
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
How cool that you posted this.  Is it an optical illusion?  Is it real in some sense?

It would make a great example of curviness coming from discrete deterministic simple rules.
POSTED BY: Todd Rowland
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract