|
|
8 Replies
|
14 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Splitting the screen in Mathematica

It would be nice to be able to split the screen, so I can see how I defined a function when I'm using it later in the notebook.
Is this something others think would be useful?
POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
8 Replies
This would be a fantastic feature. I often find myself copying and pasting large parts of code simply so I can look at it while writing in another part of the notebook. For example, if I've defined a function that takes quite a few arguments, I'll often forget exactly which order I should be supplying them when using it later. I usually have to scroll back to where the function was originally defined to find out.
POSTED BY: Richard Hennigan
Here is a related discussion on Mathematica Stackexchange that provides some interesting solution:

Open two copies of the same notebook

I did not try it myself yet, let us know if it works for you. 
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
The above link works for me on Mathematica 9. I can see the cells updated in another nb after clicking the "update" button

POSTED BY: Shenghui Yang
Vitaliy, I want to see two separated parts of the same notebook at one time.
I think Frank means something like this, where edits in one window are also reflected in the other.
POSTED BY: Richard Hennigan
Oh I see now. It is interesting that Richard Hennigan pointed above to Eclipse environment. Did you, gentlemen, try Wolfram Workbench for this and maybe related directions to streamline the workflow? It is build on Eclipse, quoting linked page:
Wolfram Workbench provides sophisticated code editing, navigation, and project management tools for enterprise-class development and deployment. Built on Eclipse, it is specialized for Mathematica and other Wolfram technologies.
I am not sure I understand this clearly. Can't one just open two notebooks in separate windows and arrange them on right and left halves of the screen?

I just looked at the help for Wolfram Workbench and it looks as though multiple editors can be opened on the same file.  However, Workbench is for developing packages, not notebooks.  I'd still like to see the ability to split a screen to view two different parts of a notebook at the same time.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract