Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
169 Replies
|
248 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[WSG22] Daily Study Group: Cryptography (begins January 31!)

A new study group devoted to Cryptography begins next Monday!

I will be leading this group daily, Monday to Friday, over the next three weeks, until February 18. The curriculum follows the upcoming Wolfram U course "Introduction to Cryptography". A list of daily topics can be found on the Daily Study Groups page. The study group sessions include videos and reading materials for the course and time for discussion and Q&A. After the study group will help you may complete the course quizzes and achieve the "Course Completion" certificate for the "Introduction to Cryptography" .

REGISTER HERE:

https://www.bigmarker.com/series/daily-study-group-intro-to-cryptography/series_details

About This Study Group: Cryptography has existed for thousands of years and currently is a fascinating topic to study because of the close ties it forges between theory and practice. It makes use of bitwise computations, advanced algebra, string operations and everything in between. The Wolfram Language, with functions that provide basic building blocks for modern cryptography, makes a great tool for hands-on understanding of various concepts. In this Study Group, you will follow video lessons from the new Wolfram U course Introduction to Cryptography and learn about the concepts, underlying math and connections to real-world scenarios.

enter image description here

P.S: Don't worry if you are unable to attend every session live: the recordings will be sent out to those who registered!

POSTED BY: Dariia Porechna
169 Replies

I am wondering how to make a digital RSA signature with the Keccak512 hash function.

RSASign[message_, privexp_, mod_] := 
  PowerMod[Hash[message, "Keccak512"], privexp, mod];

RSAVerify[message_, signature_, pubexp_, mod_] := 
  SameQ[Hash[message, "Keccak512"], PowerMod[signature, pubexp, mod]];
message = 
  MessageToInt[
   "Let's try RSA digital signature generation and verification!"];
signature = 
 RSASign[message, private["PrivateExponent"], public["PublicModulus"]]
RSAVerify[message, signature, public["PublicExponent"], 
 public["PublicModulus"]]

returns False
I think the has function should still return true. Why is the Keccak hash function returning False?

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Peter Burbery

Hi Peter, I don’t know what value did you use for mod, but my first guess would be that Keccak512 produces a value that is too big and so overflows, I believe this or next lesson mentions this flaw. Bear in mind that this is a very simplistic RSA implementation, but some things you can do is choosing a modulo bigger that 2^512 or reducing the hash value by the same modulo while signing and verifying. Hope this helps

How would I adapt the example with Keccak 256 for the avalance effect example for the Keccack512 hashing function. I tried replacing the instances of 256 with 512 in the example and the one case of 255 with 511 and Keccak256 with Keccak512 but I got an error with this line

bapairs = (ByteArray /@ IntegerDigits[#, 512, 32]) & /@ inputpairs;

ByteArray::batd "Elements in {214,68,478,459,140,215,3,386,278,424,<<22>>} are not \ unsigned byte values" I then replaced this with 256 in the example but I got an unexpected histogram result.

Attachments:

Can anyone in the community provide a concise explanation for why finding the nonce such that the hash of the block is less than the current target is of value to the cryptocurrency process? I understand that the need for a brute force calculation causes mining to be energy intensive but I don’t see why it is important that the nonce have the indicated property.

The following is from Lesson 23 of the Wolfram cryptography.
“To commit a new block to the history of Bitcoin transactions, a peer must discover by brute force a nonce value that, when included in the block, results in an acceptable hash that is less than or equal to the current target set by the Bitcoin network. This process is called mining. The miner is rewarded some bitcoins for performing this computation.”

Thanks for any help you can provide on this question

POSTED BY: Joseph Smith

It is proof-of-work (PoW) mechanism specific to Bitcoin, as defined in the original whitepaper by Satoshi Nakamoto. Other cryptocurrencies don't have to use the same condition as their PoW challenge. Many don't use PoW protocol altogether, choosing instead proof-of-stake, proof-of-storage etc

Posted 2 years ago

Bitcoin "proof-of-work" mechanism results in high energy consumption mining. Does proof-of-stake /proof-of-storage have similar energy consumption overheads ?

POSTED BY: Doug Beveridge

Proof of stake cryptocurrencies have much lower and much more reasonable energy costs. For example Ethereum is advocated for its environmental efficiency. BitCoin which is a proof of work cryptocurrency has an annual energy consumption greater than Finland. Advocates of BitCoin argue that proof of stake has a risk of people who control more of a proof of stake such as Ethereum for example to control the currency. Wikipedia states, " In 2021 a study by the University of London found that in general the energy consumption of the Proof-of Work based Bitcoin was about 1,000 times higher than that of the highest consuming proof of stake system that was studied even under the most favorable conditions and that most proof of stake systems cause less energy consumption in most configurations. "

For more information I recommend Wikipedia's articles on Proof of Stake and Proof of work.

Thank you everyone for warm words - it is such a good feeling to know the hard work we've put into this study group and MOOC paid off and people have learned something interesting! Special thanks to those who've attended every session and actively participated, your engagement is inspiring to me!

Dariia I would like to add to the long list of thank you notes for this course. This gave me a glimpse into what is involved in modern cryptology and appreciation of the creativity that goes into designing cryptosystems.

Although the focus of the course was not on breaking codes - it only increased my admiration for those who were able to break even the earlier generation ciphers.

Joseph Smith

Dear Dariia,

Please let me join the number of people who have already thanked you for an amazing course and an equally amazing Daily Study Group Community--we learned a lot from both. Your excellent lectures and materials, lively discussions, stimulating examples, and excellent references will continue to let us grow.

Zbigniew Kabala, Associate Professor
Duke University

POSTED BY: Zbigniew Kabala

Thank you, Dariia. Here is also his video on the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG4hS5OuC3Y&ab_channel=TheIACR. Best. M

May be of interest to the attendees: Incorrectly Generated RSA Keys How To Recover Lost Plaintexts https://eprint.iacr.org/2020/1059.pdf

Thank you, Mojtaba. Interesting! Very unusual problem and keen treatment. I wish you success! Best wishes. M

I appreciate your feedback, Michael, many thanks.

POSTED BY: Mojtaba Moniri

Dear Majtaba. I must also add that, being very nice and educational, your pictures take a lot of real estates and make it extremely hard to navigate the blog. I would suggest if possible to keep them in the links, to be accessible on demand. This way they will still be easy reachable and illustrative without affecting the traffic. Thank you. Michael.

Thanks, Michael, you're right and I removed those attachments. Best, Mojtaba

Thank you, Mojtaba. As the former kids, we know that hiding just enhances curiosity. Thank you again for your wonderful research. Best wishes. Michael.

Thank you for your interest and comments, Michael. Please see the attachment.

Attachments:

Thank you, Mojtaba. Very impressive and beautiful! Could you please summarize briefly the essence of it for the amateurs? What is exactly discovered or proven? How can it enhance our understanding of cryptography? With best wishes. M

And for the abstract of a talk I gave on this in the 43rd Australasian Combinatorics Conference in December, see:

https://www.mathematics.org.au/sys/public/talk.php?conf_id=54&talk=5873

Removed (examples can be seen at the links).

My great thanks, congratulations, and best wishes to the organizers, supporters, and all participants of this remarkably informative and insightful class. Michael

Let me thank you all with this table relating our Random Number Generator to CarmichaelLambda

CarmichaelLambda[2^31]

TableForm[Table[{k, 2^k, PowerMod[65539, 2^k, 2^31]}, {k, 0, 31}], TableHeadings -> {Join[Array["" &, {29}], Array[2^#1 CarmichaelLambda &, {3}, {0}]], {k, 2^k, TraditionalForm@Mod[65539^(2^k), 2^31]}}]

Role of CarmichaelLambda with respect to congruential random number generation following a Lehmer approach

Posted 2 years ago

Hi! I joined really late, so I was wondering where I can find the quizzes? Also, may I know if there is a deadline to complete this course to get a certificate?

POSTED BY: Anna Cynthia

Please email wolfram-u@wolfram.com with more details, they should be able to help

Hi @Anna Cynthia, please refer to the Daily Study Group reminder emails that have been sent throughout the series, with links to the (prerelease) course framework on Wolfram U. The quizzes are located within the interactive course. All quizzes should be completed by Friday, February 25. We'll send a final email reminder out to everyone this week.

POSTED BY: Jamie Peterson
Posted 2 years ago

One of the modes mentioned in the section on AES is GCM yet I cannot find information on this as an option in Encrypt[]. An example (after generating the variable myKey using GenerateSymmetricKey["AES256"]):

Encrypt[myKey, "Now is the time", 
 Method -> Association["BlockMode" -> "CTR"]]

works, but

Encrypt[myKey, "Now is the time", 
 Method -> Association["BlockMode" -> "GCM"]]

Gives

Encrypt::invblockmode: GCM is not a known block mode for this cipher.

Given the properties of the GCM block mode, I would think this is a highly desirable mode to support. Is there some way of getting it to work?

POSTED BY: Mark Ross

According to the documentation https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Encrypt.html

"BlockMode" "CBC" block chaining mode ("ECB","CBC", "OFB", "CFB", "CTR")

it would appear GCB is not there yet. But I suppose it would be a nice exercise to implement GCB support (in a pure mathematica way) so that it interfaces nicely with the existing framework.

GCM is certainly on our TODO list.

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks for letting me know and thank you for a great course and study group!

Posted 2 years ago

In response to the question, "Why doesn't an MD5 hash provided by Mathematica for a download successfully check using Mathematica?" I thought more about this in the context of the study group and finally "cracked" the problem. In the past, even Wolfram has recommended using OpenSSL (or the like) to compute a hash. I always thought, a hash is a hash is a hash, so why doesn't the hash provided in Mathematica work.

I figured it had to be in the way the files were being treated and that led to the following, which for the first time worked for me: GenerateFileMD5[fileName_String]:=Hash[ReadByteArray[fileName],"MD5","HexString"]

By way of example, the 13.0.1 release came out a couple of days ago. The published MD5 checksum for the MacOS version is 8ba7afa9966ae12bc8abbcb405a1ccd4. Running the code above gives

GenerateFileMD5["~/Downloads/Mathematica_13.0.1_BNDL_MAC_EXP.dmg"]

Out[35]= "8ba7afa9966ae12bc8abbcb405a1ccd4"

Alternatively (and what had to be done in the past), I get the following: openssl md5 ~/Downloads/Mathematica_13.0.1_BNDL_MAC_EXP.dmg MD5(Mathematica_13.0.1_BNDL_MAC_EXP.dmg)= 8ba7afa9966ae12bc8abbcb405a1ccd4 The same answer. Finally, I can quit using OpenSSL and instead use Mathematica to self-check the MD5 signature. From our study group, remember, MD5 is only good to prevent unintentional corruption.

I hope this is helpful to others and becomes the recommended way of using Mathematica to check the Mathematica MD5 hash.

Notebook with a stepwise example of a simple substitution permutation cipher.

During the Study Group session on substitution permutation networks, I had difficulty envisioning the steps required to encipher and then decipher a message. Some of this difficulty was due to my unfamiliarity with describing permutations with cyclic notation, which left me unable to understand what the RandomPermutation[30] was doing in the course example.

To better understand what was going on, I worked up a stepwise example of how to encipher and decipher a message with a simple substitution-permutation cipher. The notebook is attached.

Perhaps other participants would benefit from this example.

Attachments:

Same with me

POSTED BY: Andreas Rudolph

I would like to thank all of you - especially Dariia, Luke, and Konstantin, and the rest of Wolfram-U - for a really great Study Group/Course. It has been very interesting, fun, and rewarding to understand more about the different and important aspects of Cryptography. I have enjoy a lot of the discussion both at the Study Group sessions and here at the Community thread.

Also, I think I've got a new interest, especially Cryptanalysis, perhaps only on the more the classical ciphers, but still.

Again, thanks all of you!

/Hakan

A little fun related to today's lesson! try cracking a hashed password: https://rsk0315.github.io/playground/passwordle.html

Something of interest I found after reading a hacker-news post about that passwordle thing, is this: https://sha256algorithm.com/

Another one that is much easier (doesn't involve first trying to find the hash and then the password): https://passwordle.com/

It's been great to see such a high level of participation with Daily Study Group! Just wanted to alert everyone that a new one-week Daily Study Group devoted to notebook-based workflows for data explorations starts on March 7, led by @Abrita Chakravarty. Topics include working in notebooks, importing data, visualizing data, analyzing data and making workflows interactive. Learn more about this Daily Study Group.

Following the "Hybrid Cryptography, Public Key Certificates" lesson we had on Tuesday 15/02, here is a link to a presentation (incl. slides and video), whose topic is "Secure Communication with TLS" (by Bruce Momjan): https://fosdem.org/2022/schedule/event/security_tls/

In this presentation, actual examples of how this is used in real-life are discussed, including digital certificates for authentication.

Posted 2 years ago

I can't access the video about the "elliptic curve cryptosystems" in the course framework. I get an HTML error code 403 (no permission). The rest of the videos work perfectly. How can I solve the problem?

POSTED BY: Peter Lippolt

We noticed this, too! We'll fix the problem and post when it's redeployed. Thanks for noting it.

I have the problem that no matter how many times I watch the video about elliptic curve cryptosystem the framework does not recognize I have watched and for that, I can not take my certified, because I completed all quizzes e watched all the videos. Someone can help me?

We have a problem with the video logging properly. It will be fixed soon.

Posted 2 years ago

Facing the same issue with the same video

POSTED BY: Mitesh Pandey

Hello, thank you for pointing out the logging issue. I have checked with our developer and can confirm that the issue has been fixed. You should be able to refresh your progress tracker and see the video now logged. Please email wolfram-u@wolfram.com if you encounter further issues.

POSTED BY: Cassidy Hinkle

Estimates of post-quantum crypto strengths from 2017pre-quantum and post-quantum security levels of widely deployed cryptographic systems estimated to be broken by approximately 2^b operations

https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/314

Post-quantum cryptography – dealing with the fallout of physics success

Daniel J. Bernstein1,2 and Tanja Lange1

1Technische Universiteit Eindhoven 2University of Illinois at Chicago

Abstract

Cryptography is essential for the security of Internet communication, cars, and implanted medical devices. However, many commonly used cryptosystems will be completely broken once big quantum computers exist. Post-quantum cryptography is cryptography under the assumption that the attacker has a large quantum computer; post-quantum cryptosystems strive to remain secure even in this scenario. This relatively young research area has seen some successes in identifying mathematical operations for which quantum algorithms offer little speedup, and then building cryptographic systems around those. The central challenge in post-quantum cryptography is to meet demands for cryptographic usability and flexibility without sacrificing trust.

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks very much for the reference and the paper! I wonder how much I will need to unlearn about what I think I know about quantum mechanics.

POSTED BY: Robert Lyons
Posted 2 years ago

I noticed that some members of this group have also attended the "quantum computation framework" class. They, as well as some others, may be interested in a recently published book: Finite mathematics as the foundation of classical mathematics and quantum theory. With application to gravity and particle theory (by Felix Lev) https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783030611002.

A significant part of this book was preliminary published in the (free access) article: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1104.4647.pdf .

POSTED BY: Updating Name
Posted 2 years ago

I haven't got today's session link. Can someshare it here please

You can get to a session any time from the series home page Scroll down to the day you would like to view, if it's current it will have a link to enter the webinar, if it's a past session it will allow you to view the recording.

For those interested in potential effect of quantum computers on modern asymmetric cryptography, an article was published recently where they calculated how many qubits would be needed to break the elliptic curve used in Bitcoin: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2022/02/breaking-245-bit-elliptic-curve-encryption-with-a-quantum-computer.html

Posted 2 years ago

"To visualize how much harder it is to break, Lenstra recently introduced the concept of "Global Security." You can compute how much energy is needed to break a cryptographic algorithm, and compare that with how much water that energy could boil. This is a kind of cryptographic carbon footprint. By this measure, breaking a 228-bit RSA key requires less energy to than it takes to boil a teaspoon of water. Comparatively, breaking a 228-bit elliptic curve key requires enough energy to boil all the water on earth. For this level of security with RSA, you'd need a key with 2,380-bits."

So this implies it would take the same amount of energy to break a 228-bit elliptic curve key as it would to break a 2,380-bits RSA key .

Is there a correlation between using Lenstra's energy system and the physical quibits needed to break an encryption key ie if It would require 317 × 106 physical qubits to break the 256-bit elliptic curve encryption of keys in the Bitcoin network in one hour using the surface code (and a modiefied Shor Algorithm) would it then take a similar setup to break a 2,380-bits RSA key .

"Gidney and Ekerå estimated that it would require 20 × 106 noisy qubits and 8 h to break the 2048 Rivest-Shamir-Adleman (RSA) encryption, which is of a comparable difficulty to the EC encryption of Bitcoin."

I would say so, yes. I'm not much of an expert on quantum physics though, but to understand how these cryptographic algorithms compare to each other in terms of key size vs security I found this paper a while back (by Lenstra, also referenced in the previously linked article) https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Key-Lengths-Contribution-to-The-Handbook-of-Lenstra/80d0c05336abbc51d095c1af2ae8143d493beacb

Posted 2 years ago

In order to give a visualisation of these numbers (how the bit lengths compare), here are some plots:

• First, the numbers themselves;
  • Then, where the bit lengths are in log-scale;
  • Finally, inverse of bit lengths.

Posted 2 years ago

The bitcoin elliptical curve Secp256k1 has an order which is a prime number . What is the advantage of having a prime number order (if any ) and I assume no subgroups ?

Yes, having curve order be a prime number p maximizes the number of possible elliptic curve points (it will be p-1). However, there are also many curves used that defined over so-called extension fields modulo p^m or binary fields modulo 2^m, like ed448, ed25519, scet233k1. Binary fields have advantage of more efficient calculations.

Corrected after reading Hermès' post and Wolfram documentation x(+)y is by default interpreted as CirclePlus[x,y]. It can be entered as [CirclePlus] or esc c+ esc. In the mentioned context it is the group operation, modular addition, such that z = x (+)y belongs to the same group as x and y.

In[26]:= CirclePlus[#, #] & /@ G

Out[26]= {0, 2, 4, 1, 3}

Modulo 5 in the definition of (+) in our case guarantees that the outcomes do not leave the "group" of 5 elements.

Thanks for your response. This will take a bit more thinking on my part!

Can anyone help me with the following question from the cryptosystems chapter?

Perhaps I missed this during the lecture, but what does the CirclePlus[ ] statement have to do with the figure that follows? The statements are: CirclePlus[x, y_] := Mod[Plus[x, y], 5]; G = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4} Screenshot from Cryptosystems Chapter

This "CirclePlus" operation, defined as the addition of two elements (x and y) modulo 5, can be interpreted as the additive law that, together with the set of elements G = {0,1,2,3,4}, provide a representation for the cyclic group Z/5Z (see the explanations that follow in the notebook).

Furthermore, there exists a generator element "g", that is such that, when being "summed" (with the CirclePlus law) together with itself repeatedly, can generate all the elements of the group. The diagram that follows is the so-called "cycle graph" for this group Z/5G : it basically gives a pictorial representation of the statement about the existence of the generator element from above. Each edge in that graph, represents one iteration of such sum with the generator.

Thanks very much. I need to think this over before I am confident in understanding it.

The question is being edited. Thanks to Doug and Hakan for their very helpful comments.

Posted 2 years ago

Thank you, Doug. Good points. Still,

(.) I can make up some scenarios where one needs to memorize a key. Besides, the correspondence between key, cipher, and plain text is not necessary so direct.

(.) As to the second part, I used sequences of all 1s or 0s just as an example. As a memorable one, I can use a sequence taken from the phone numbers or plate numbers, or addresses.

The question stays. When you say "more random", what does it mean? In the example with the coins, which sequence of the equally probable outcomes is "more random"?

Put differently, you can discuss the randomness of a large sample of sequences. You do not usually quantify the randomness of one particular sequence*.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- * As opposed, for instance, to the subset of sequences with m and n occurrences of 0 and 1 (whose probability should converge to the Binomial distribution if PRNG is good).

Posted 2 years ago

The question stays. When you say "more random", what does it mean? In the example with the coins, which sequence of the equally probable outcomes is "more random"?

In information theory, the entropy of a random variable is the average level of "information", "surprise", or "uncertainty" inherent to the variable's possible outcomes. Entropy is used to measure how random the information is.

So , your sequence 11111111 has the same probability as any other binary sequences , say 10101010 (as in coin toss ,heads 1 ,tails 0 ).

but Entropy[{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}] == 0 (* Shannon Entropy*)

Entropy[{1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0}]==0.693

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Entropy.html.en

There are some statistical tests to determine if a sequence "looks random" and are used to test pseudo random generators. Dariia talked about this in the 4th session "Measuring Security, Randomness and Pseudorandomness".

Also, see my post above ("Test statistics - Week 1 Review quiz/assignment") which also shows some of the statistical tests of bit sequences..

Thank you, Hakan. It's a really enjoyable topic. Always wanted to dive deeper into it, and now the chance is here.

Michael, for uses when you need to memorize the key/password and still have an actual encryption key be random, there is a set of cryptographic algorithms called Key Derivation Functions (see GenerateDerivedKey in Wolfram, for instance). There will also be a relevant lesson on Wednesday!

Posted 2 years ago

Is there a way to Solve Mod[9 x, 23, x] == 1 algebraically with Mathematica ?

Solve[Mod[9 x,23,x]==1,x]

Please note, that the 3-argument form of Mod means, according to the documentation,

Mod[m, n, d] uses an offset d.

Posted 2 years ago

Sorry , error , i have updated , the problem remains the same

Using the Integers option give some answers:

Solve[Mod[9 x, 23, x] == 1, x, Integers]
Reduce[Mod[9 x, 23, x] == 1, x, Integers]

{{x -> -5}}
x == -5

And:

Solve[Mod[9 x, 23] == 1, x, Integers]

{{x -> ConditionalExpression[
    18 + 23 ConditionalExpression[1, \[Placeholder]], 
    ConditionalExpression[1, \[Placeholder]] \[Element] Integers]}}
Posted 2 years ago

I had updated my post as I did try that option but I need a positive integer 18.

If I use Z x->18+23 c1 which is correct

It's (the field of) Integers (with 's'), and this will be the same as Z.

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks , updated

You can restrict the value of x via an extra constraint:

Solve[{Mod[9 x, 23] == 1, 0 <= x < 23}, x, Integers]
Reduce[{Mod[9 x, 23] == 1, 0 <= x < 23}, x, Integers]

{{x -> 18}}
x == 18

Update on the course quizzes: We are seeing many people who have passed Quiz 1 and a few who have already passed all the quizzes. Keep up the impressive work! We are investigating a couple problem reports from emails received at wolfram-u@wolfram.com. Thank you for sending detailed problem reports when you encounter them.

To clarify the video logging, this is a feature of the course, and videos watched outside of the course (in the Study Group) are not tracked with your course progress. We do have attendance and recording views logged for the Study Group, and this, along with quiz results, allows us to issue certificates of program completion for the Study Group. The Introduction to Cryptography Study Group certificate of completion is considered equivalent to the course completion certificate, and we're pleased to offer both options for earning a certificate for this material.

At the bottom of the course page, the last entry is "Track My Progress." When clicked, it lists two conditions for successful completion of the course:

"Earn your certificate of course completion by watching 25 course videos and ..."

However, it gives me, and I guess others, ZERO credit for watching the videos during Dariia's lectures. I assume this feature is meant for the future course takers, not for the current cohort. Please clarify.

Thank you! Will check it out. Best. M

I did not check Doug's suggestion (first goes first :) ) but Stinson's book mentioned by Hakan looks impressive. Its 1995 edition is available at https://ia803405.us.archive.org/19/items/pdfy-eAEdqcELZKUUU733/Cryptography%20Theory%20And%20Practice%20-%20Douglas%20Stinson.pdf. Apparently, it is close if not identical (Hakan, pls comment if you can) to the aforementioned 1999 edition.

Hi, Michael.

Ah, I see I misspelled the year. I have the first edition from 1995. Thanks for the pointer: I'll see how I can correct that in my notebook.

I like the book even if it's quite old (over 25 years), especially the first chapters which describes some of the classical ciphers together with cryptanalyses/attacks on them together with small instructive examples. And now I'm preparing for tomorrow's lesson on RSA. :-)

There are later versions of the book. The latest is - according to Amazon - a fourth edition from 2018: https://www.amazon.com/Cryptography-Theory-Practice-Textbooks-Mathematics/dp/1138197017/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cryptography+stinson&qid=1644788501&sprefix=stinson+crypt%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-1

Posted 2 years ago

The two resources that gave me a better understanding of elliptical curves in Mathematica

"Elliptic Curve Cryptography with Mathematica" by Jouko Teeriaho (attached )

and a better understanding of the algorithms associated with elliptical curves at

Elliptic Curve Cryptography: a gentle introduction by Andrea Corbellini

I found the visual tool very handy

Attachments:

Good to know! Thank you, Doug.

Thanks, Doug. Great links, very "hand-on"! Best. M

Great find, the elliptic curves notebook by Jouko Teeriaho, Doug!

Doug,

Your link to the pdf file (notebook?) by Jouko Teeriaho does not work. Could you re-post it, please?

Thanks, Zbigniew

Posted 2 years ago

reattached the file

Attachments:

Doug, Thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate it. And the file indeed looks like a great read--I am delving right into it. Cheers, Zbigniew

(Note: The book by Stinson is from 1995, not 1999 as is stated in the first paragraph.)

(Notebook attached)

Attachments:

Just in case anyone is interested, Eric W. Weisstein's notebook http://mathworld.wolfram.com/notebooks/NumberTheory/EllipticCurve.nb in modern notations is simply (show its main part):

In[3]:= curves = {x^3 - 1, x^3 + 1, x^3 - 3 x + 3, x^3 - 4 x, x^3 - x};

In[22]:= GraphicsGrid[{ContourPlot[y^2 == #, {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3}, ContourStyle -> {Red, Thick}] & /@ curves}]

There is no need to install the packages, GraphicsImplicitPlot and GraphicsColors, and some functions are now (13 years later) outdated.

Posted 2 years ago

I took the first quiz and there is some problem with the evaluation system. I scored 0/14. Attempted again and the same result. Then for one of the question, I picked one answer , submit the result and observe the behavior, and repeated it three more times. No matter what option is selected as an answer, score is always 0

Earlier this week I took Quiz 1-4 without any problems. Yesterday I tried Quiz 5 and got the same result as you, i.e. only 0-scores. After quite much of reloading the Quiz page, changing some answer and submitting the answers, it finally worked and I got a proper score.

(I reported this to wolfram-u@wolfram.com so they should be aware of the problem.)

I confirm this problem: Taking the first quiz today and got 0 scores as well. The quiz frame also errors out with the following errors: enter image description here

(It also shows : v1.20220128 )

I did what you suggested but did not work, I am still awaiting contact from the email I sent to wolfram-u@wolfram.com

I just took Quiz 6 and it worked without any problems. Also, there are no error/warnings at the end of the page that was - and still is - in my Quiz 5 page (but as mentioned above I did pass that Quiz as well).

Given the number of times Claude Shannon's name has come up during the study group, I thought that SG participants might want to learn more about this amazing man. I thought he was brilliant before joining the study group and my admiration has only increased over the past two weeks.

A Mind at Play: How Claude Shannon Invented the Information Age Kindle Edition by Jimmy Soni (Author), Rob Goodman (Author) In their second collaboration, biographers Jimmy Soni and Rob Goodman present the story of Claude Shannon—one of the foremost intellects of the twentieth century and the architect of the Information Age, whose insights stand behind every computer built, email sent, video streamed, and webpage loaded. Claude Shannon was a groundbreaking polymath, a brilliant tinkerer, and a digital pioneer. He constructed the first wearable computer, outfoxed Vegas casinos, and built juggling robots. He also wrote the seminal text of the digital revolution, which has been called “the Magna Carta of the Information Age.” In this elegantly written, exhaustively researched biography, Soni and Goodman reveal Claude Shannon’s full story for the first time. With unique access to Shannon’s family and friends, A Mind at Play brings this singular innovator and always playful genius to life.

Posted 2 years ago

ok, so really to use zero to 25 and then use the mod 25 is the best policy...I should have thought to try that. Thanks Hermes, I will recalculate and we can continue. Great conversation here!

POSTED BY: Sam Fergis
Posted 2 years ago

for the vigenere question I have

h e l l o w o r l d 08 05 12 12 15 23 15 18 12 04

m y k e y m y k e y 13 25 11 05 25 13 25 11 05 25

Mod[8+13,26] = 21 Mod[5+25,26] = 04 Mod[12+11,26] = 23 Mod[12+05,26] = 17 Mod[15+25,26] = 14 Mod[23+13,26] = 10 Mod[15+25,26] = 14 Mod[18+11,26] = 03 Mod[12+05,26] = 17 Mod[04+25,26] = 03

U D W Q N I N C Q X 21 4 23 17 14 10 14 03 17 03

Using the Vigenère cipher, what is the encrypted form of the message “helloworld” using the key “mykey”?

tcvpmimbpb

khoorzruog

uryybjbeyq

->None of the above

Shows a wrong answer for quiz 1, am I off base on this? Thanks for a good clue Luke and a really great course, I could do another month of this class!

This seemed a little specific for the community discussion, but if it is apropos I am happy to stand corrected of course.

POSTED BY: Sam Fergis

It appears that when they encoded the message and the key, before doing the "encryption" step, they just offsetted by the character code of "a", i.e. offsetted everything in such a way that the letter 'a' gets coded to 0, 'b' to 1, etc., and then after the encryption step, to go back from the new character codes to letters, they did the reverse offset. They didn't add an extra offset of "1" to the character code of "a", in order to make 'a' coded to 1, 'b' to 2, etc.

Also thanks for the proof around 30min. It is quite nice and easy, and lends itself well to a discussion of "confusion" from your suggested article. Here is another notation using Fold:

FeistelForm[kn_] := {#[[2]], Xor[#[[1]], F[#[[2]], kn]]} &
FoldList[#2@#1 &, {L, R}, {
    FeistelForm[k1], FeistelForm[k2], FeistelForm[k3], Reverse,
    FeistelForm[k3], FeistelForm[k2], FeistelForm[k1], Reverse
    }] ;
SameQ[%[[1]], %[[-1]]]
Out[] = True

Let's try and make this a little easier for Physicists (or former) by assuming that $F$ is just addition, then the naive form reduces to linear algebra:

NaiveFeistelForm[kn_] := {{0, 1}, {1, 1}} . # + {0, F[kn]} &
FoldList[#2@#1 &, {L, R}, {
    NaiveFeistelForm[k1], NaiveFeistelForm[k2], NaiveFeistelForm[k3], 
    Reverse,
    NaiveFeistelForm[k3], NaiveFeistelForm[k2], NaiveFeistelForm[k1], 
    Reverse
    }] /. {_Integer?EvenQ -> 0, _Integer?OddQ -> 1};
SameQ[%[[1]], %[[-1]]]
Out[]=True

What happens here is basically a nesting $g \cdot( \ldots( g\cdot(g\cdot s + p_1) + p_2 ) \ldots ) + p_n $, and it's easy to see if distributive holds we get $g^n \cdot s +P$ where $s$ is signal, $P$ a summed pad, and mixing matrix $g$ satisfies $g^3=Id$. This is the same problem I mentioned previously, where Feistel scheme essentially reduces to a one time pad. However if the pair of operations $(\cdot,+)$ do not allow distributive property, then the nested form above might actually be a decent characterization of what is meant (loosely) by "Feistel Scheme".

There is one alternative, applying the pad before the mixing: $g \cdot( \ldots( g\cdot(g\cdot (s + p_1) + p_2 ) \ldots + p_n) $. In this case distributive does not hold if $g\cdot (s + p_1) \neq g\cdot s +g\cdot p_1 $, which is what we want to fix the previous algorithm. Start by generating test data:

SeedRandom["confusion"];
randPad = RandomInteger[{0, 4}, 32];
randMessage = RandomInteger[{0, 4}, 32];

And weakly prove (in terms of test data) distributive holds in the previous case:

SameQ[ Flatten[ Mod[ForwardMix . Partition[Plus[randPad, randMessage], 8], 5]],
 Flatten[Mod[Plus[ ForwardMix . Partition[randPad, 8],
    ForwardMix . Partition[randMessage, 8]], 5]]] 
Out[]=True

This is what we don't want, so we need to add new Addition and Subtraction functions (the idea is taken from Dariia's suggested reference above):

BoxSubtract[dat1_, dat2_, part_, base_] :=With[{ints = (FromDigits[#, base] & /@ 
        Partition[#, part]) & /@ {dat1, dat2}}, Flatten[
   IntegerDigits[#, base, part] & /@ Mod[Subtract @@ ints, base^part]]]

BoxPlus[dat1_, dat2_, part_, base_] :=  With[{ints = (FromDigits[#, base] & /@ 
        Partition[#, part]) & /@ {dat1, dat2}}, Flatten[
   IntegerDigits[#, base, part] & /@ Mod[Plus @@ ints, base^part]]]

(* test inverse property *)
SameQ[BoxSubtract[BoxPlus[randPad, randMessage, 8, 5], randPad, 8, 5], randMessage] 
Out[]=True

Again here is a proof that distributive doesn't hold:

(* not distributive *)
SameQ[  Flatten[ Mod[ForwardMix . Partition[BoxPlus[randPad, randMessage], 8], 5]],
 Flatten[Mod[BoxPlus[  ForwardMix . Partition[randPad, 8],
    ForwardMix . Partition[randMessage, 8]], 5]]]
Out[]=False

Then our Encode / Decode functions need only minor modification, replacing Plus and Subtract for BoxPlus and BoxSubtract:

EncodeRound[sig_, AGmat_] := Flatten[
    Mod[ForwardMix . Partition[BoxPlus[sig, AGmat, 8, 5], 8], 5]]

DecodeRound[sig_, AGmat_] := Mod[BoxSubtract[ReplaceAll[
        Mod[Flatten[ReverseMix . Partition[sig, 8]], 5], Div4], AGmat,
    8, 5], 5]

Using these updated functions, we can produce another set of encrypts:

encrypts 2

These are possibly better than the previous set since we are doing a little more than just padding, but the run statistics really don't look any better. I am still skeptical--What exactly do we gain by requiring non-distributive property? Is one data set easier to decrypt than another?

I think that the non-distributive property must be an important defining part of what makes a Feistel Cipher, but I don't yet completely understand the theory why. Anyone else, agree / disagree? Thoughts?

POSTED BY: Brad Klee

Just watched Stephen Wolfram, Dariia and others in "Live CEOing Ep 555: Language Design in Wolfram Language [Hash Related Functions]" (YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZVX6kDEQU and Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1293670192 ). It's always interesting to listen to this kind of discussions. They discussed new features in Wolfram Language regarding Hash function, Digital Signature etc. How appropriate for us. :-)

It's always fun to hear about these kind of discussions, especially about how a function should be named or which parameters / their orders should be, in order to be the most general and not have to be changed in the very near future of its introduction.

Should hash values calculated with the same algorithms but on different platforms agree?

Yes they should. If you find they don't, as pointed out by Dariia and Doug, check whether it's because their output representation is just given in a different way (for numbers -> different bases, etc.) Otherwise it may be due because the data being hashed might have looked the same but is actually different in some way: e.g. for strings: they were provided in different encodings (for example, utf8 vs. utf16 vs. something else). Within WL, check whether the data you want to encode is not "embedded" into an overall WL "object" that would thus change what's going to be actually encrypted.

Question for the community: Should hash values calculated with the same algorithms but on different platforms agree?

I tried comparing the hash digest for a simple text string ("abcdefg") calculated with Mathematica and calculated with an online calculator https://www.fileformat.info/tool/hash.htm . The notebook is attached. I tried a few different hash algorithms but the hash digests did not agree with the Mathematica digest.

Attachments:

Specify "HexString" as 3rd argument to Hash, by default it produces an integer.

Thanks! The daily study group is very interesting and informative.

Posted 2 years ago

Is it not that you must select the correct output type

eg

Hash["abcdefg", "Adler32"]

Hash["abcdefg", "Adler32", "HexString"]

0adb02bd

After watching the last session on Feistel schemes and reading some of Hakan's code, it seems like we have a pro-binary bias sneaking in here. The overall theme of this post is to say that cryptography still works with more than two symbols (or without self-inverse properties), but the implementation may not be as neat and simple. For example, Dariia's transformation analysis of Feistel scheme might not apply at higher radix, if XOR is generalized to addition modulo base $b>2$. As long as implementations still run fast, added complexity can even serve a purpose relative to the adversary.

Here is some encrypted data, which I claim is the output of a sort-of Feistel Cipher:

encrypt data Repeated Encryption of a length 32 message over 4 symbols

To the eye, it looks random, but we need to do testing. Normality does not imply randomness, but it is a necessary condition. We can easily check run lengths in base 5 (the encrypt base is one higher than the message base), but first let's look at base 10 encoding:

encodes =  Partition[Partition[#, 4][[All, 1]] & /@ Transpose[ReplaceAll[
       Round[ImageData[Import["~/Work/Cryptography/encrypts.png"]]],
       {{1, 0, 0} -> 2, {0, 1, 0} -> 3, {0, 0, 1} -> 1, {1, 1, 1} -> 
         0, {1, 1, 0} -> 4}]], 4][[All, 1]];

Row[Show[#, ImageSize -> 300] & /@ {Histogram[
    FromDigits[#, 5] & /@ encodes, 10],
   ListLogPlot[FromDigits[#, 5] & /@ encodes]}, Spacer[20]]

base 10

Decently flat between $10^{21}$ and $10^{22}$. Now here are run length tests, which I have written in a base-dependent graphical form:

TestNormalListPlot[data_, runLen_, base_] := ListPlot[
  Tally[FromDigits[#, base] & /@ Flatten[
     Partition[#, runLen, 1, 1] & /@ data, 1]],
  PlotRange -> {0, Automatic}]

TestNormalHistogram[data_, runLen_, base_] := Histogram[
  Tally[FromDigits[#, base] & /@ Flatten[
      Partition[#, runLen, 1, 1] & /@ data, 1]][[All, 2]],
  PlotRange -> {{0, Automatic}, {0, Automatic}}]

And the output data looks Gaussian distributed as is expected for random inputs:

TableForm[Partition[Show[
     TestNormalListPlot[encodes, #, 5],
     ImageSize -> 300] & /@ Range[4], 2]]

TableForm[Partition[Show[
     TestNormalHistogram[encodes, #, 5],
     ImageSize -> 300] & /@ Range[4], 2]]

RandListPlot

RandHistogram

The purpose of the entire battery of diehard tests is to look beyond normalcy for other hints of randomness. Diehard is considered state of the art in practice, but I've heard that machine learning can sometimes do better finding bits of unexpected order. So I'll leave the question open, does anyone have a test on the data above that is predictive of at least one digit (without peeping at the keys, which are online somewhere)?

We definitely can't look at an Feistel Cipher output and identify it as such. For the output above, we probably can't rule out that it follows from a Feistel cipher (again, unless someone starts predicting digits). So instead we have to go back to algorithm analysis. Dariia's transformation analysis gives us a nice place to start--if we just ignore the issue about S-Boxes. I don't know anyone else's opinion, but Daniel Bernstein's argument against S-Boxes has influenced my thinking that "S-Boxes are just mathematical functions with some certain properties, and they may not always be necessary".

Now, Dariia has emphasized self-inverse as a defining property of Feistel cipher, but I disagree by saying that the self-inverse property is a result of choosing $\bigoplus$ as Addition modulo 2, and choosing a parity permutation group, for which group action is self inverse. If another choice is made, say addition modulo 5 with cyclic permutation of order 4, then the parity symmetry is broken and an inverse round function is needed. Such an algorithm keeps a reversible key-schedule, and may mix blocks more effectively, thus reducing need for round function $F$ to be overly complex.

Here again is the code for producing encrypts above, and for decrypting them when the corresponding secret keys are known. First an apparently(?) almost pseudo-random number generator (thanks again Larva Labs!):

ONE = 4294967296;
SIZE = 32; HALFSIZE = 16;

xyz[ind_, aVal_] := With[{x0 = 2*(ind - HALFSIZE) + 1},
    x0*aVal^2 (*hacked to force overflow, no sym*)]

v[x_, y_, z_, mod_] := With[{v0 = Mod[Floor[
            If[# > 2^255 - 1, Mod[(# - 2^256)/ONE + 1, 2^256],
                  #/ONE] &@Mod[x*y*z, 2^256]], mod]},
    If[v0 < 5, v0, 0]]

AutoGlyphM1D[aVal_] := With[{mod = Mod[aVal, 11] + 5},
    Outer[v[xyz[#1, aVal], 1, 1, mod] &,
      Range[0, SIZE - 1], 1]]

Next the round functions, key iterator, etc. : : :

ItKeys[key_, nInd_] := 
  Map[Mod[Floor[key Pi^#], 2^160] &, Range[0, nInd - 1]]

(* Eigenvectors of CyclicG4 *)
ForwardMix = {
   {1, 1, 1, 1},
      {1, -1, 1, -1},
      {1, 0, -1, 0},
      {0, -1, 0, 1}};

ReverseMix = 4 Inverse[ForwardMix];

Div2 = MapThread[Rule, {Mod[2 Range[0, 4], 5], Range[0, 4]}];
Div4 = MapThread[Rule, {Mod[4 Range[0, 4], 5], Range[0, 4]}];

EncodeRound[sig_, AGmat_] := Flatten[
    Mod[ForwardMix . Partition[Plus[sig, AGmat], 8], 5]]

DecodeRound[sig_, AGmat_] := Mod[Subtract[ReplaceAll[
        Mod[Flatten[ReverseMix . Partition[sig, 8]], 5], Div4], 
   AGmat], 5]

Char4Encode[sig_, key0_, recd_] := Fold[
    EncodeRound[#1, AutoGlyphM1D[#2]] &,
    sig, ItKeys[key0, recd]]

Char4Decode[Crypted_, key0_, recd_] := Fold[
    DecodeRound[#1, AutoGlyphM1D[#2]] &,
    Crypted, Reverse@ItKeys[key0, recd]]

And the call to decrypt is:

AbsoluteTiming[  decodes =  MapThread[Char4Decode[#1, #2, 4] &, 
       {encodes, SecretKeys}];]
 Union[Style[ StringJoin[
          FromCharacterCode[FromDigits[#, 4]] & /@ Partition[#, 8]], 
    Bold,  16] & /@ decodes]
Out[]= l.t. 1s
Out[]={????}

So what are we still arguing about? Well, it may be possible to choose a self-inverse permutation, starting from something like:

Mod[# . # &@(ForwardMix . ForwardMix), 5] /. Div2
Out[]= Identity Matrix 4

And maybe if we applied more creativity and / or chose an even radix, we could find an operator such as $x \bigoplus y=x+b/2\times y \mod b$ which would be self inverse for radix $b$, I don't know, and don't know if we should spend time on that question.

So, in the end, Dariia and the rest of the experts might be right, self-inverse could be a necessary property of the Feistel Scheme. In that case, how to categorize the encrypt / decrypt algorithm presented above? Clearly we can change to whatever base, and use whatever permutation group representations so long as the inverse details work out. Does anyone have a reference to anything like this in the literature?

If you are interested in Feistel-like ciphers but not limited to xor as a main operation, you could look at Lai–Massey scheme (IDEA cipher, for instance) starting page 21 https://www.research-collection.ethz.ch/bitstream/handle/20.500.11850/140723/eth-38650-02.pdf

The confusion property on P. 31 looks good. One weakness of the above algorithm is that linearity of encode rounds ensures after four rounds that the ciphertext is permuted back to its original place with a factor 2, not ideal. In that sense, my simple algorithm looks more like a one time pad. However, I could also argue that Feistel cipher is just a clever way to apply one time pads. Back to the drawing board... maybe a permutation over all 32 indices?

Posted 2 years ago

I have been looking at how to create a quality metric for various ciphers and came up with a couple of tests. I'm sure there is some standard "cookbook" of tests that get applied but haven't seen such a thing yet. Have a look at my take on this. It considers frequency and statistics to compare the spiky image from lesson 13.

Attachments:

Nice!

Did you look at NIST's "A Statistical Test Suite for Random and Pseudorandom Number Generators for Cryptographic Applications" (https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-22r1a.pdf) that Dariia mentioned in the session about Randomness/Pseudorandomness? It contains a Fourier related test (section "2.6 Discrete Fourier Transform (Spectral) Test") and a lot of other statistical tests. Though I don't find anything about your other test, the QuantilePlot Analysis.

The notebook "09_Randomness and pseudorandomness.nb" has some other recommended documents as well (in the Further Reading section)..

Nice analysis! Some pretty common ways to assess quality of ciphers are also described he https://www.engr.mun.ca/~howard/PAPERS/ldc_tutorial.pdf

Here is my write up on Dariia's Weekend "assignment" (attached).

Attachments:

That's neat! Thank you for taking on the "assignment" responsibly! You could also try some more complex tests like https://resources.wolframcloud.com/FunctionRepository/resources/ChiSquareRandomnessTest/ and others without having to implement them

Thanks, Dariia!

I'll check out those more complex tests. Though I do like to implement stuff. :-)

You can always implement others and contribute to the Function Repository too!

Questions for Dariia (or other experts): Is there a list where WFR covers diehard tests, and are we missing any? What does it really mean if an encrypt fails diehard? I'm thinking that a combination of steganography with cryptography could fail diehard and still be decently hard metal. For example, did anyone decode the fake NFTs that I made for the "happy new years" contest?

Posted 2 years ago

Hi

Can you use UTF-16 encoding with the Hash function in Mathematica?

In Python :-

Wolfram does not support UTF16 encoding unfortunately

I tried to set up a UTF-8/UTF-16 conversion code in WL, see attached notebook (for UTF-16 it is also important to know what the underlying endianness of the byte stream is). Hope that it helps! Suggestions for improvements are welcome :) maybe at some point this could be turned into an entry into the function repository? (I haven't seen any existing UTF16-related function there).

Using these functions, the UTF16-LE example of Mr. Beveridge would look as follows:

In[1]:= Hash[UnicodeToUTF16LE[ToCharacterCode["password"], "ByteArray"], "MD4", "HexString"]
Out[1]= 8846f7eaee8fb117ad06bdd830b7586c

This agrees with the Python result.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Hermes

Wow , that is impressive . I will play around with it to test it but it looks great and a candidate for the repository.

There does not seem to be a textbook of "Encryption with Mathematica" so I got the next best thing, "Encryption with python " books and as the functions are similar it is quite easy to convert from python hashlib library to the Wolfram Hash Function. The textbooks I have consulted all use the Windows NTLM Microsoft authentication protocol that uses UTF-16 Little Endian encoding as examples. (Maybe there is a little bias by Wolfram to Mac and Linux against Windows :) )

Note that this is not a very serious crypto analysis of hash collisions since we know that these hash functions are not secure (and some of them are not designed to be crypto secure).

As you also mentioned above, Adler32 is not a serious hash function. It is easy to study from first principles and find how to design a collision algorithm. This was done on a previous thread "Hello World = Goodbye World: chosen-prefix collision attack" (editors note: we have since learned that the word "attack" is better replaced by "analysis").

I did not put very much thought or effort into the above, so it would be interesting to see who can improve these results and how. If anyone has a good MD5 collider, that might make a good contribution to Wolfram Function Repository. Happy searching!

Brad, thanks for the link of your analysis. I'll read it more carefully and also the "SHA-1 is a Shambles" article you cited (https://sha-mbles.github.io/ ).

Here is a notebook exploring if some of WL's simpler hash functions generates hash collisions for some of WL's wordlists.

A related idea is to search for the smallest hash collisions for the two weak hash functions (CRC32 and Adler32) and use all possible strings of a certain size. Unfortunately, for the generated wordlists that I could test, there wasn't any hash collisions which surprised me a little. Anyway, here's the idea and the code.

Let's assume that we use words with strings of the characters [a-zA-Z0-9] and generate all possible strings up to a certain length, i.e. size = 3 generates all possible strings of length 1, 2, and 3.

Here's the alphabet and 30 random samples:

alpha = Flatten[{CharacterRange["a", "z"], CharacterRange["A", "Z"], 
   CharacterRange["0", "9"]}];

RandomSample[
 Table[StringJoin[#] & /@ Tuples[alpha, n], {n, 1, 3}] // Flatten, 30]

{"oEg", "LMZ", "j3n", "GDY", "dUe", "7ma", "Z5x", "jtb", "6OI", \
"HdL", "EzE", "VMY", "OYM", "p7Z", "PNg", "Vqz", "obw", "Kyj", "OUi", \
"pda", "LwI", "S2A", "4KO", "Ah0", "VsX", "XI4", "ZiC", "tRE", "EMv", \
"fc3"}

We reuse some of the functions from the original notebook:

crc32[word_] := Hash[word, "CRC32", "HexString"]
adler32[word_] := Hash[word, "Adler32", "HexString"]

listCollisions2[words_, fun_] := 
 Module[{hashList, counts, hashMap, collisions},
  hashList = fun[#] & /@ words;
  If[Length[hashList] != Length[words],
   counts = Counts[hashList];
   hashMap = AssociationThread[words -> hashList];
   collisions = Keys@Select[counts, # > 1 &];
   Table[Select[hashMap, # == c & ], {c, collisions}] ,

{} (* else: no collisions *)
   ]
  ]

As mentioned above, we don't found any hash collisions for CRC32 or Adler32 for sizes up to 4:

Table[{n, listCollisions2[generateWords[n], crc32]}, {n, 1, 4}] // AbsoluteTiming
{25.0142, {{1, {}}, {2, {}}, {3, {}}, {4, {}}}}

Table[{n, listCollisions2[generateWords[n], adler32]}, {n, 1, 4}] // AbsoluteTiming
{25.9066, {{1, {}}, {2, {}}, {3, {}}, {4, {}}}}

One major problem with this approach is that the size of wordlists increases very fast and soon be forbiddingly large:

Table[{n, Length[generateWords[n]]}, {n, 1, 4}] // TableForm

{
 {1, 62},
 {2, 3 906},
 {3, 242 234},
 {4, 150 18 570}
}

For size 5, I couldn't even generate the wordlist (got the error "No more memory available. Mathematica kernel has shut down"), but using WL's excellent FindSequenceFunction we can at least estimate the sizes of the wordlists for larger sizes:

FindSequenceFunction[{62, 3906, 242234, 15018570}]
{#, %[#]} & /@ Range[1, 10] // TableForm

which outputs

62/61 (-1 + 62^#1) &
{
 {1, 62},
 {2, 3906},
 {3, 242234},
 {4, 15018570},
 {5, 931151402},
 {6, 57731386986},
 {7, 3579345993194},
 {8, 221919451578090},
 {9, 13759005997841642},
 {10, 853058371866181866}
}

Thus, generateWords[5] would give a wordlist of 931 151 402 words.

Update:

Perhaps it's not that surprising that there are no hash conflicts for Adler32. Here are some of the words and their Adler32 hashes for the size 4 generated words, i.e. the hashes are distinct and just incrementing from the last (two counters) and are in order.

Short[{#, adler32[#]} & /@ generateWords[4], 20]

{{"a", "00620062"}, {"b", "00630063"}, {"c", "00640064"}, {"d", 
  "00650065"}, {"e", "00660066"}, {"f", "00670067"}, {"g", 
  "00680068"}, {"h", "00690069"}, {"i", "006a006a"}, {"j", 
  "006b006b"}, {"k", "006c006c"}, {"l", "006d006d"}, {"m", 
  "006e006e"}, {"n", "006f006f"}, {"o", "00700070"}, {"p", 
  "00710071"}, {"q", "00720072"}, {"r", "00730073"}, {"s", 
  "00740074"}, {"t", "00750075"}, {"u", "00760076"}, {"v", 
  "00770077"}, {"w", "00780078"}, {"x", "00790079"}, {"y", 
  "007a007a"}, {"z", "007b007b"}, {"A", "00420042"}, {"B", 
  "00430043"}, {"C", "00440044"}, {"D", "00450045"}, {"E", 
  "00460046"}, {"F", "00470047"}, <<15018506>>, {"999E", 
  "024a00f1"}, {"999F", "024b00f2"}, {"999G", "024c00f3"}, {"999H", 
  "024d00f4"}, {"999I", "024e00f5"}, {"999J", "024f00f6"}, {"999K", 
  "025000f7"}, {"999L", "025100f8"}, {"999M", "025200f9"}, {"999N", 
  "025300fa"}, {"999O", "025400fb"}, {"999P", "025500fc"}, {"999Q", 
  "025600fd"}, {"999R", "025700fe"}, {"999S", "025800ff"}, {"999T", 
  "02590100"}, {"999U", "025a0101"}, {"999V", "025b0102"}, {"999W", 
  "025c0103"}, {"999X", "025d0104"}, {"999Y", "025e0105"}, {"999Z", 
  "025f0106"}, {"9990", "023500dc"}, {"9991", "023600dd"}, {"9992", 
  "023700de"}, {"9993", "023800df"}, {"9994", "023900e0"}, {"9995", 
  "023a00e1"}, {"9996", "023b00e2"}, {"9997", "023c00e3"}, {"9998", 
  "023d00e4"}, {"9999", "023e00e5"}}

Testing with some longer words and it use the same principle of two counters:

{#, adler32[#]} & /@ {"aaaaa", "aaaab", "aaaac", "aaaaaaaaaaa", 
  "aaaaaaaaaab",
  "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab"}

{{"aaaaa", "05b401e6"}, {"aaaab", "05b501e7"}, {"aaaac", 
  "05b601e8"}, {"aaaaaaaaaaa", "190d042c"}, {"aaaaaaaaaab", 
  "190e042d"}, {"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", 
  "48110734"}, {"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab", "48120735"}}

The hashes for CRC32 is much more random like:

Short[{#, crc32[#]} & /@ generateWords[4], 20]

{{"a", "e8b7be43"}, {"b", "71beeff9"}, {"c", "06b9df6f"}, {"d", 
  "98dd4acc"}, {"e", "efda7a5a"}, {"f", "76d32be0"}, {"g", 
  "01d41b76"}, {"h", "916b06e7"}, {"i", "e66c3671"}, {"j", 
  "7f6567cb"}, {"k", "0862575d"}, {"l", "9606c2fe"}, {"m", 
  "e101f268"}, {"n", "7808a3d2"}, {"o", "0f0f9344"}, {"p", 
  "82079eb1"}, {"q", "f500ae27"}, {"r", "6c09ff9d"}, {"s", 
  "1b0ecf0b"}, {"t", "856a5aa8"}, {"u", "f26d6a3e"}, {"v", 
  "6b643b84"}, {"w", "1c630b12"}, {"x", "8cdc1683"}, {"y", 
  "fbdb2615"}, {"z", "62d277af"}, {"A", "d3d99e8b"}, {"B", 
  "4ad0cf31"}, {"C", "3dd7ffa7"}, {"D", "a3b36a04"}, {"E", 
  "d4b45a92"}, {"F", "4dbd0b28"}, <<15018506>>, {"999E", 
  "8fef8e8d"}, {"999F", "16e6df37"}, {"999G", "61e1efa1"}, {"999H", 
  "f15ef230"}, {"999I", "8659c2a6"}, {"999J", "1f50931c"}, {"999K", 
  "6857a38a"}, {"999L", "f6333629"}, {"999M", "813406bf"}, {"999N", 
  "183d5705"}, {"999O", "6f3a6793"}, {"999P", "e2326a66"}, {"999Q", 
  "95355af0"}, {"999R", "0c3c0b4a"}, {"999S", "7b3b3bdc"}, {"999T", 
  "e55fae7f"}, {"999U", "92589ee9"}, {"999V", "0b51cf53"}, {"999W", 
  "7c56ffc5"}, {"999X", "ece9e254"}, {"999Y", "9beed2c2"}, {"999Z", 
  "02e78378"}, {"9990", "af800b3e"}, {"9991", "d8873ba8"}, {"9992", 
  "418e6a12"}, {"9993", "36895a84"}, {"9994", "a8edcf27"}, {"9995", 
  "dfeaffb1"}, {"9996", "46e3ae0b"}, {"9997", "31e49e9d"}, {"9998", 
  "a15b830c"}, {"9999", "d65cb39a"}}
Posted 2 years ago

Just a small thing I noticed in the course notebook 11_Security features in the section with the collision for different hexadecimals hashed with MD5.
SameQ was returning True regardless of what type of hash I was choosing. I think it works when implemented with "@@" on the list returned from the hashing function. i.e. the SHA256 hashes are different.

In[17]:= SameQ[Hash[BaseDecode[#, "Base16"], "SHA256"] & /@ {hex1, hex2}]

Out[17]= True

In[18]:= SameQ@@(Hash[BaseDecode[#, "Base16"], "SHA256"] & /@ {hex1, hex2})

Out[18]= False

The MD5 hash is still identified as identical.

In[20]:= SameQ@@(Hash[BaseDecode[#, "Base16"], "MD5"] & /@ {hex1, hex2})

Out[20]= True
POSTED BY: Donnacha Gayer

Thanks for finding this!

In[120]:= SameQ[a, b]

Out[120]= False

In[118]:= SameQ @@ {a, b}

Out[118]= False

In[119]:= SameQ[{a, b}]

Out[119]= True

In[117]:= SameQ@{a, b}

Out[117]= True

Good catch! Thank you! I will fix it in the course notebook!

Posted 2 years ago

This group might be interested in a post a made a few months ago Twitter steganography.

The interesting use for steganography may be to send encrypted information attached to Twitter photos. As a communication channel it might be very hard to monitor and notice when encrypted information was actually being transmitted.

POSTED BY: Robert Rimmer

Earlier this week Linear Congruential Generators (LCG) was mentioned and I was trying to solve/attack the simple example that was mentioned in the notebook (09Randomnessand_psedorandomness.nb), but was not able to figure out how to restore the parameters a, b, and m in the LCG function.

Here's the definition of the LCG from the notebook and the first 10 generated numbers in the sequence:

a = 65539;
b = 0;
m = 2^31;
LCG[seed_Integer] := Mod[a*seed + b, m];

NestList[LCG, 1, 10]

(the output:)

{1, 65539, 393225, 1769499, 7077969, 26542323, 95552217, 334432395, \
1146624417, 1722371299, 14608041}

First some simple trials of getting back the used values of a , b, and m using different approaches that doesn't work:

FindGeneratingFunction[seq, x]

returns the following (which means that it cannot find a solution):

FindGeneratingFunction[{1, 65539, 393225, 1769499, 7077969, 26542323, 
  95552217, 334432395, 1146624417, 1722371299, 14608041}, x]

But I would have thought that either Solve, Reduce or FindInstance could give some answer:

Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa * seq[[1]] + bb, mm]
    }, {aa, seed, bb, mm} \[Element] Integers]

Nope, it returns:

This system cannot be solved with the methods available to Solve.

What about a little larger equation system:

Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa * seq[[1]] + bb, mm],
  seq[[3]] == Mod[aa * seq[[2]] + bb, mm],
  seq[[4]] == Mod[aa * seq[[3]] + bb, mm],
  seq[[5]] == Mod[aa * seq[[4]] + bb, mm],
  seq[[6]] == Mod[aa * seq[[5]] + bb, mm]
    }, {aa, seed, bb, mm} \[Element] Integers]

Same error/warning message.

I also tested this with Reduce and FindInstance but they all errors/warnings

Reduce::nsmet: This system cannot be solved with the methods available to Reduce.

and

FindInstance::nsmet: The methods available to FindInstance are insufficient to find the requested instances or prove they do not exist.

I assume it is the Mod function that makes this such a hard problem, or perhaps I just did some simple (or not so simple) mistake.

Are there some good principled ways to solve/attack LCGs (in WL)?

Posted 2 years ago

Initialization cell to introduce the abbreviation seq ;-)

a = 65539; b = 0; m = 2^31; LCG[seed_Integer] := Mod[a*seed + b, m]; seq = NestList[LCG, 1, 10]

Hello Hakan,

If you "help" WL by specifying the bb = 2^31 and the shift bb = 0, you will get an answer:

Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + 0, 2^31]}, aa \[Element] 
Integers]

Even if you omit the shift bb = 0, you get an answer.

Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + bb, 2^31]}, {aa, bb} \[Element] 
  Integers]

On the other hand, if you ask for mm, i.e.

Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + 0, mm]}, {aa, mm} \[Element] 
  Integers]

your error/warning message will be reproduced. The same happens when you try the toy example

Solve[1 == Mod[15, x], x]

(Edit: Note, that Solve[1 == Mod[15, x], x, Integers] works, and likewise Solve[2022 == Mod[65539, x], x, Integers]. \Edit)

But you can get around that by running this:

Table[{k -> 
   Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + 0, 2^k]}, {aa} \[Element] 
     Integers]}, {k, 1, 40}]

By doing so, you get a whole bunch of solutions....

But I think we're moving from the Crypto topic to modulo computation now....

PS: Sorry I didn't post the output here, because the conditional expressions make the result very unreadable here...

POSTED BY: lara wag

Thanks for your insights and suggestions , Lara!

Perhaps it make sense that hard coding the value of the modulo works, it might be given in the specification of the used algorithm?

Some findings: Using the hard coded modulo with a single equation takes about 34s on my computer. But if adding one more equation to the system it's faster: about 7s.

Solve[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + bb, 2^31], 
       seq[[3]] == Mod[aa*seq[[2]] + bb, 2^31]
   }, {aa, bb}, Integers] // AbsoluteTiming

Adding more equations seems to be a little slower: 3 equations takes 7.4s, 4 equations takes 7.5s and 5 equations takes 8s.

But there are faster ways:

Using Reduce only takes 0.05s:

Reduce[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + bb, 2^31]}, {aa, bb}, Integers] // AbsoluteTiming

[FindInstance is not that fast and give solutions "all over the place" and I had to add the constraints that aa and bb are non-negative. Here we want 5 solutions.

FindInstance[{seq[[2]] == Mod[aa*seq[[1]] + bb, 2^31], aa >= 0, bb >= 0}, 
             {aa, bb}, Integers, 5] // AbsoluteTiming

Solutions:

{0.467047, {{aa -> 210453397504, 
   bb -> 785979080717}, {aa -> 188978626658, 
   bb -> 689342250923}, {aa -> 0, 
   bb -> 193273593869}, {aa -> 141733986317, 
   bb -> 0}, {aa -> 128849084491, bb -> 575525617602}}}

]

I like the idea of looping through the modulo (2^k) though that assumes that the modulo is always a power of 2, which might very well be correct.

Regarding your comment that looping through possible modulo values is leaving the cryptanalysis domain, I would say that we are still in that domain since everything is allowed to get a solution (well , perhaps except for a Kevin Mitnick kind of social engineering :-)).

I had hoped that Solve would be of some (more) help here.

Again, thanks!

That's great, Michael!

This question may be more related to a future crypto lesson.

I was toying around with encrypting/decrypting data (using Mathematica 12.1 functions) with DES, using the "Electronic Cookbook" (ECB) block mode, and was surprised by some obtained results, see below. I would like to know the reasons of such behaviour, as well as whether it's possible to know and/or control what data padding is being used by default, in these settings?

For an (a priori) empty byte array, the encrypted data length is much longer than for a one-byte array:

In[1]:= Encrypt[desKeyECB, ByteArray[{}]]["Data"] // Normal
Out[1]= {238,110,253,99,228,27,8,224,142,28,87,146,1,47,70,240,237,69,176,169,25,122,166,240}

but:

In[2]:= Encrypt[desKeyECB, ByteArray[{0}]]["Data"] // Normal
Out[2]= {177,216,132,168,6,11,203,72}

which is shorter.

Finally, while it is known that DES works on 64-bit data chunks, I noticed that the encrypted data's length will increase already the 56-bit

7-byte (i.e. 56-bit)-long data: gives an encrypted block of 64 bits:

In[3]:= Encrypt[desKeyECB, ByteArray[{0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}]]["Data"] // Normal
Out[3]= {62,54,162,174,211,50,208,182}

However, 8-byte (i.e. 64-bit)-long data would give a longer encrypted block of 2 x 64 bits:

In[4]:= Encrypt[desKeyECB, ByteArray[{0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7}]]["Data"] // Normal
Out[4]= {83,131,254,213,181,242,11,15,151,186,160,29,255,217,246,70}

Interestingly, the last 8 bytes in the example above appear to "encode" an empty byte array somehow:

In[5]:= Decrypt[desKeyECB, ByteArray@{151, 186, 160, 29, 255, 217, 246, 70}]
Out[5]= {}

But the empty byte array encrypts differently (see In[1] above). Finally, modifying one of these 8 bytes in In[5] would make Decrypt[] fail. Why is that so? Does this padding also contain some sort of checksum information?

What you see in In[1] is due to the fact that in Wolfram an empty byte array is actually a list:

In[1]:= ByteArray[{}]

Out[1]= {}

In[2]:= ByteArray[{}] == List[]

Out[2]= True

So since in WL you can encrypt any expression not just bytes or strings this gets treated as expression List[] and serialized as a generic expression. If you really want to encrypt an empty thing try empty string "". What you see in the inputs 3, 4, and 5 is related to a standard convention on padding, which will be covered in lesson "Block and stream ciphers next week" so I hope you wouldn't mind waiting for that.

Hermes, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but copying your In[1] statement doesn't work. In your post, as in my attached notebook, the object desKeyECB is marked in blue, meaning Mathematica doesn't understand it. Are you missing a definition of this object in the post? Please clarify?

Ah yes of course! I omitted the definition of desKeyECB; here it is:

desKeyECB = 
 GenerateSymmetricKey[Method -> <|"Cipher" -> "DES", "BlockMode" -> "ECB"|>];

Note that here I passed the "BlockMode" as parameter to the Method of the GenerateSymmetricKey function (while I kept the Encrypt function without any other parameters). When I did the tests it was when using Mathematica 12.1. As far as I can see, however, they changed some of this stuff and it would now appear that the "BlockMode" should be now passed not to GenerateSymmetricKey, but separately to the Encrypt function instead...

As a question/suggestion: isn't it common to define the term "information security system" for the set of properties i.e. confidentiality, authentication, data integrity, and non-repudiation.

Posted 2 years ago

This is a somewhat simple-minded check for English words which result in other English words when encrypted with the Caesar Cipher (and only using a shift of 3 characters). It considers a word valid if it is contained in the "common words" returned by WordList[]. The results would be different if DictionaryWordQ[] was used to validate the result.

CCipher[x_String, offset_Integer : 3] := 
 Mod[LetterNumber[x] + offset - 1, 26] + 1 // FromLetterNumber //   StringJoin
Attributes[CCipher] = Listable;
CCipher[WordList[]]\
    // Intersection[#, WordList[]] & \
    // Thread[CCipher[#, 23] -> #] & \

{"alb" -> "doe", "ark" -> "dun", "be" -> "eh", "box" -> "era", 
 "bob" -> "ere", "bod" -> "erg", "boo" -> "err", "cold" -> "frog", 
 "dory" -> "grub", "ex" -> "ha", "elm" -> "hop", "ere" -> "huh", 
 "fa" -> "id", "fob" -> "ire", "folk" -> "iron", "ill" -> "loo", 
 "lab" -> "ode", "lob" -> "ore", "milt" -> "plow", "molt" -> "prow", 
 "orb" -> "rue", "pee" -> "shh", "pelt" -> "show", "perk" -> "shun", 
 "ply" -> "sob", "pry" -> "sub"}

Update:

After I posted this code, I read Michael Schreiber's solution which used StringReplace rather than LetterNumber and FromLetterNumber and wondered about the relative efficiency of the approaches. I changed my code to use Michael's approach and the the speed increased by a factor of more than 60. Thank you Michael for demonstrating this approach.

Updated code:

rules = Thread[Rule[Alphabet[], RotateLeft[Alphabet[], offset]]];
rulesRev = Thread[Rule[Alphabet[], RotateLeft[Alphabet[], 26 - offset]]];
wl = WordList[] // ToLowerCase;
StringReplace[#, rulesRev] -> # & /@ 
Intersection[wl, StringReplace[wl, rules]]
POSTED BY: Richard Hewens
Posted 2 years ago

A longer list. DictionaryWordQ has more words than WordList.

WordList[] // 
AssociationMap[ResourceFunction["CaesarCipher"][#, 3] &] // 
Select[DictionaryWordQ]
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

The SIGSALY used the heat of giant vacuum tubes as a source of noise, but I've also come across how-to guides for using a reverse-biased zener diode to produce "shot noise", apparently something to do with total, natural randomness of quantum tunneling, don't ask me!

[LINK] A Fast, Cheap, High-Entropy Source for IoT Devices

Thanks for mentioning this. It is possible to "deplete the entropy pool" when doing more business than usual, so HWRNG are worthwhile "weird machines", which could be studied in their own right. How do you think graphene sheets could / should be adapted to this purpose? : :

Vacuum tubes can still be used for some fun experiments on the photoelectric effect, or if you have excess medical grade equipment, possibly for making Geiger counters.

However, as you've said, much of more recent technology has already shifted toward diodes and laser diodes, which are also incredible little devices for any hobbyist's citizen lab. Have Fun! --Brad

I think there was a lot of interest (including my own!) in the Q&A around random number generation now and historically. I decided I will list a few things I've come across and welcome any other clever ways you've seen to generate real randomness, starting with a relevant crypto-stack-exchange question: How were one-time pads and keys historically generated?

One of the answers mentions SIGSALY, wherein the US Army awarded Bell Labs (with Alan Turing & Claude Shannon in their employ) a contract to build a system for encrypted radio calls in 1942, using vinyl records of digitized noise as the one-time-key, employing a source of true entropy and making use of the newly invented vo-coder to minimize the data that needed to be encoded, simultaneously inventing voice compression. The podcast "99% Invisible" has a great episode:

The SIGSALY used the heat of giant vacuum tubes as a source of noise, but I've also come across how-to guides for using a reverse-biased zener diode to produce "shot noise", apparently something to do with total, natural randomness of quantum tunneling, don't ask me!

A talk on squeezing games into the extreme constraints of the 8 bit Nintendo, including some tiny algorithms to introduce a little entropy to make the game a little less predictable (starting at 19:25). Tetris uses xor + shift on a 16 bit fibonacci sequence. Final Fantasy uses a lookup table of 256 precomputed random values. Contra uses spare cpu cycles to increment a variable that is used whenever a random number is desired.

And of course our man Wolfram figured out you can use Cellular Automata as good sources of entropy (default in mathematica) links thanks to Q&A staff (sorry I missed your name!)

POSTED BY: Colten Jackson

Common words appearing as cypher texts of common words when using Caesar Cyphers

With[{
  alpha = ToUpperCase[Alphabet[]],
  enCommon = Select[
    Union[ToUpperCase[WordList[]]],
    Complement[Characters[#], alpha] == {} &]},
 SortBy[
  Table[
   shift -> Intersection[
     enCommon,
     StringReplace[enCommon, 
      Thread[Rule[alpha, RotateLeft[alpha, shift]]]]
     ],
   {shift, 25}],
  Length[Last[#]] &]]

{5 -> {"FIE", "FIT", "IT", "ITS", "KNEE", "PH", "STY", "UM", "YA"}, 
 21 -> {"ADO", "ADZ", "DO", "DON", "FIZZ", "KC", "NOT", "PH", "TV"}, 
 2 -> {"CUR", "DAG", "ETA", "GAG", "GO", "IQ", "KEG", "ME", "MY", 
   "NAG", "OW", "TAG", "TWO", "URGE"}, 
 24 -> {"ASP", "BYE", "CRY", "EM", "EYE", "GO", "ICE", "KC", "KW", 
   "LYE", "MU", "RUM", "RYE", "SPEC"}, 
 1 -> {"BE", "BEE", "BIB", "BY", "DIBS", "EVE", "FOE", "IF", "IN", 
   "JUT", "KPH", "OFF", "PEE", "PI", "PIN", "PIP", "SIP", "TI", "UFO",
    "UP"}, 
 25 -> {"AD", "ADD", "AHA", "AX", "CHAR", "DUD", "END", "HE", "HM", 
   "ITS", "JOG", "NEE", "ODD", "OH", "OHM", "OHO", "RHO", "SH", "TEN",
    "TO"}, 
 9 -> {"AN", "ANY", "ARENA", "ARK", "ARM", "BRA", "BRAN", "BUNNY", 
   "BURY", "BYRE", "CANT", "CARP", "CRY", "DB", "KHAN", "LARK", "NAN",
    "NAP", "NUT", "PRAM", "RAT", "RUT", "TRY", "URN", "WRY"}, 
 17 -> {"BYRE", "CRIB", "ELK", "ERE", "ERG", "GIRD", "ILK", "IRK", 
   "KIP", "LIE", "NIP", "RE", "REP", "RIB", "RID", "RIVER", "SIR", 
   "SIRE", "SLEEP", "SLIP", "SPIV", "TIP", "TREK", "TRIG", "US"}, 
 11 -> {"ALE", "ALTO", "APE", "AS", "AT", "DALE", "DATE", "DAZE", 
   "DAZED", "DEFY", "ELF", "ELM", "ESPY", "ETA", "EYE", "FA", "IT", 
   "LAP", "LO", "LOO", "LYE", "PI", "SPA", "SPY", "STOP", "TO", "YES",
    "ZOO"}, 
 15 -> {"AD", "ADD", "ANT", "APE", "EX", "HEN", "HEP", "HIDE", "ID", 
   "NTH", "ODD", "PAID", "PAT", "PET", "PH", "PI", "SPAT", "SPIT", 
   "SPOT", "SPOTS", "STUN", "TAB", "TAU", "THEN", "TIP", "TNT", "UP", 
   "XI"}, 
 3 -> {"DOE", "DOS", "DUN", "EH", "ERA", "ERE", "ERG", "ERR", "FROG", 
   "GRUB", "HA", "HOP", "HUH", "ID", "IRE", "IRON", "KHZ", "LOO", 
   "ODE", "ORE", "PH", "PLOW", "PROW", "RUE", "SHH", "SHOW", "SHUN", 
   "SOB", "SUB"}, 
 23 -> {"ALB", "ALP", "ARK", "BE", "BOB", "BOD", "BOO", "BOX", "COLD",
    "DORY", "ELM", "ERE", "EX", "FA", "FOB", "FOLK", "HEW", "ILL", 
   "LAB", "LOB", "ME", "MILT", "MOLT", "ORB", "PEE", "PELT", "PERK", 
   "PLY", "PRY"}, 
 13 -> {"AH", "AHA", "ANT", "BALK", "BAR", "CRAG", "CREEL", "ENVY", 
   "ER", "FLAP", "FUR", "GAG", "GEL", "GNAT", "IRK", "NAG", "NU", 
   "NUN", "ONE", "ONYX", "PENT", "PERRY", "RAIL", "RE", "SHE", "SYNC",
    "TANG", "TNT", "TRY", "VEX"}, 
 7 -> {"AH", "AHA", "ALL", "APTLY", "DOLL", "DOPA", "FLAP", "FLU", 
   "GLIB", "HA", "HE", "HO", "IF", "ILK", "ILL", "JOLLY", "LO", "NUB",
    "OBI", "OH", "OLD", "OPT", "PA", "PILE", "SH", "SHALE", "SHE", 
   "SPA", "SPUR", "THY", "VIP", "WHO", "WHY", "WOLD", "ZOO"}, 
 19 -> {"AH", "AT", "AX", "BED", "BEE", "BY", "CHEER", "EH", "GNU", 
   "HA", "HEW", "HIM", "HUB", "IBEX", "IT", "LA", "LATEX", "LAX", 
   "LINK", "LIT", "MAR", "OBI", "PAH", "PAR", "PHEW", "SHH", "TA", 
   "TAT", "TEE", "TIMER", "WHEE", "WHIT", "YEN", "YETI", "ZEBU"}, 
 8 -> {"AIL", "AWE", "AWL", "BIAS", "BIB", "BIZ", "CAM", "COP", "EM", 
   "EMIT", "EWE", "I", "IF", "ILL", "JIB", "JIG", "MOIL", "MOO", 
   "MOW", "MU", "NIB", "NIL", "OIL", "OW", "OWL", "PI", "PIE", "PIG", 
   "PIX", "RIG", "SPIV", "TI", "TIE", "TWIN", "TWO", "UM", "WE", 
   "WET", "WIN", "XI", "ZIP"}, 
 18 -> {"A", "ADD", "AX", "BAT", "BAY", "EGAD", "EGG", "EGO", "EM", 
   "FAD", "FAT", "GAD", "GO", "GOD", "HA", "HAP", "HAW", "HAY", "JAY",
    "KHAN", "LA", "LAW", "LOAF", "LOG", "ME", "OAF", "OW", "OWL", 
   "PA", "RAH", "SAD", "SOD", "SOW", "TAR", "TASK", "TAT", "UGH", 
   "USE", "WE", "WEAL", "WOW"}, 
 10 -> {"BED", "BONY", "BOON", "BOP", "COD", "COG", "COO", "COWS", 
   "CRED", "DEW", "DRY", "DYED", "GO", "GOD", "GOO", "GOON", "GROG", 
   "KC", "KW", "LEI", "LIDO", "LO", "LOO", "LOOP", "MEN", "MONO", 
   "NOON", "OH", "OW", "OWE", "OX", "POI", "POX", "RED", "ROB", "ROW",
    "SNOW", "UM", "WE", "WEN", "WOOD", "ZED", "ZOO"}, 
 16 -> {"AM", "AS", "BE", "BEE", "BEEF", "BUY", "BYTE", "CEDE", "CUD",
    "DEED", "EM", "EMU", "EN", "EX", "FEN", "FEY", "HEM", "HER", 
   "HUT", "IDEM", "KC", "MEET", "MU", "MUD", "PEE", "PUT", "REDO", 
   "REED", "REF", "RUT", "SEE", "SEMI", "SET", "SEW", "SHUT", "THO", 
   "TOUT", "TUM", "WE", "WEE", "WEED", "WET", "WHEW"}, 
 4 -> {"AIR", "EAR", "EEL", "EH", "EPOCH", "ER", "EX", "FEE", "FER", 
   "FIX", "GET", "HEAR", "HERO", "IQ", "JERK", "KEPI", "KIP", "LEA", 
   "LET", "LIT", "MU", "NIX", "OLD", "PEA", "PEAR", "PEG", "PET", 
   "PIE", "PIER", "PIX", "PSST", "REF", "SAP", "SHH", "STEP", "STIR", 
   "TEA", "TEAR", "TEMP", "TIE", "TIGER", "TYRO", "VET", "VEX", "WEB",
    "WET"}, 
 22 -> {"AAH", "AD", "ALKYD", "AN", "AT", "AWN", "BAA", "BAN", "BET", 
   "CAP", "DANK", "DAWN", "EM", "FANG", "GALE", "GEL", "HAP", "HAW", 
   "HEP", "IQ", "JET", "KHZ", "LAC", "LAP", "LAW", "LAWN", "LEA", 
   "LEAN", "LET", "LOOP", "NAB", "ODD", "OPAL", "OPEN", "OWL", "PAIL",
    "PAW", "PAWN", "PEA", "PECAN", "PUNK", "RAP", "RAT", "SAP", "SAX",
    "WEN"}, 
 12 -> {"AT", "BAP", "BEEF", "BUS", "DAMP", "DUB", "DUN", "FA", "FAB",
    "FAD", "FAY", "FAZE", "HUB", "HUM", "IMP", "IQ", "ME", "MEW", 
   "MIX", "MUD", "MY", "NAB", "NAN", "NAP", "NUN", "OAF", "OAK", "PA",
    "PAPA", "PAS", "PUB", "PUP", "PUS", "RAJ", "RUN", "SANE", "SAP", 
   "SKY", "SURF", "TA", "TAB", "TAN", "TAP", "TUB", "UP", "VAN", 
   "YAP", "YE", "ZAP"}, 
 14 -> {"AIR", "AM", "AS", "ASK", "AWL", "BIB", "BOB", "BOD", "BOP", 
   "COT", "COY", "DID", "DIG", "DIP", "DO", "DODO", "DOG", "FIB", 
   "FOX", "GIFT", "GOBS", "GOD", "GYM", "HIP", "HO", "HOB", "HOD", 
   "HOP", "ID", "JOB", "MOD", "MS", "NOD", "OH", "PIG", "POD", "PSST",
    "RIB", "RIP", "ROAD", "TO", "TOM", "TONS", "TOP", "TOR", "VIA", 
   "VIP", "WAD", "WE"}, 
 6 -> {"AS", "BOG", "CORE", "CORK", "COT", "COTE", "COZY", "CURL", 
   "CUT", "DO", "HAJ", "HALL", "HAM", "HAS", "HAT", "HAY", "HE", 
   "HOT", "HUE", "HUG", "HUH", "HUM", "HUSH", "INGOT", "JAM", "JOT", 
   "JUT", "LAM", "LATTE", "LAX", "LAYOUT", "LOT", "LOX", "MALL", 
   "MARL", "MAT", "MATTE", "MOM", "MOT", "MU", "NAN", "NEST", "NO", 
   "NOB", "NU", "OUT", "OW", "PARE", "POSSE", "PUNT", "RAM", "ROUT", 
   "RUIN", "RUM", "SATIN", "SO", "SOD", "TA", "TAT", "TOR", "TUT", 
   "TUX", "VAT", "WAG", "WAGE", "YAK", "YETI"}, 
 20 -> {"BIN", "BOA", "BOB", "BOG", "BOMB", "BOY", "BUD", "BUFF", 
   "BUG", "BUM", "BUN", "BUS", "BY", "CHAIN", "DIN", "DON", "DUG", 
   "FIN", "FIR", "FUG", "FUNNY", "FUR", "FUSION", "GIG", "GIN", "GO", 
   "GUFF", "GULF", "GUN", "GUNNY", "HI", "HIV", "HO", "HUH", "HYMN", 
   "ION", "IQ", "JIMMY", "JOHN", "JULY", "LION", "LOCH", "LOG", "LUG",
    "MI", "MIX", "MUNCH", "NIL", "NON", "NOR", "NU", "NUN", "PUN", 
   "QUA", "QUAY", "SUE", "SYNC", "UM", "VIA", "WILE", "WILY", "WIN", 
   "WINY", "WITS", "WOLF", "WON", "XI"}}

Here is my more "formal" analysis of this, assuming that the first word should be in Mma's Latin wordlist.

text = "yhql ylgl ylfl";
alpha = Alphabet[];
latinWords = WordList["KnownWords", Language -> "Latin"];
candidates = {StringReplace[text, 
      Thread[Rule[alpha, RotateLeft[alpha, #]]]]} & /@ Range[26];
MemberQ[latinWords, StringSplit[#][[1, 1]]] & /@ candidates;
Pick[candidates, %]

Update: Changed an old "A" to "alpha". Thanks, Luis!

Posted 2 years ago

Nice, just a corretion in the code (A -> alpha)

Thread[Rule[alpha, RotateLeft[alpha, #]]]]} & /@ Range[26];

Update: Code is already corrected in original post.

POSTED BY: Luis Marin

Thanks, Luis. I've changed it in my post.

The code is based on the one in the "04Classicalciphers.nb", but in the last minute changed "A" to "alpha" since it's not recommended that variables start with an uppercase. But forgot to change it everywhere. :-)

Posted 2 years ago

You're welcome, I just notice the "A" out of place and tested the code. :-)

Table[ResourceFunction["CaesarCipher"]["yhql ylgl ylfl", i], {i, 1, 26}] 

shows the decrypted message in item 23.

POSTED BY: Arturo Silva
Posted 2 years ago

As Caesar encrypted with a shift of 3, shifting by 23 will decrypt CaesarCipher["yhqlylglylfl", 23]

Producing a famous quote from Caesars Gallic Wars.

POSTED BY: MURL DONLEY
Posted 2 years ago

YHQL YLGL YLFL = VENI VIDI VICI

"I came, I saw, I conquered"

It helped to notice that it was three words of four characters that start with the same character (and a lot of "L"). It cannot be "alea iacta est" or "aut Caesar aut nihil" for that reason. :-)

Though I did a brute force to confirm it.

Another take on this, though it might be overkill for this problem. But let's say that - for some reason - we don't want to test all the possible Caesar shifts, for example if they are too costly

Then we can use the observation that the letter "l" is more frequent than the other letters:

text = "yhql ylgl ylfl";
CharacterCounts[text]

This shows that "l" is most frequent character.

<|"l" -> 5, "y" -> 3, " " -> 2, "f" -> 1, "g" -> 1, "q" -> 1,   "h" -> 1|>

What will be the first substitute to test, i.e. what is the commonest character in Latin?

Unfortunately, there is no letter frequency for Latin in WL:

LanguageData["Latin", "LetterFrequency"]

outputs Missing["NotAvailable"]

So we have to roll our own:

latinWords = WordList["KnownWords", Language -> "Latin"];
CharacterCounts[StringJoin[latinWords]]

which outputs the following, showing that the character "i" is the most common character in Latin.

<|"i" -> 6307, "e" -> 6008, "s" -> 5359, "a" -> 5324, "u" -> 5276, 
 "o" -> 5189, "r" -> 5013, "t" -> 4035, "n" -> 3395, "c" -> 3240, 
 "l" -> 2763, "m" -> 2490, "p" -> 2220, "d" -> 1609, "b" -> 1004, 
 "g" -> 946, "f" -> 896, "v" -> 869, "h" -> 469, "x" -> 409, 
 "q" -> 363, "y" -> 97, "æ" -> 94, "j" -> 51, "C" -> 38, "A" -> 34, 
 "H" -> 19, "M" -> 16, "z" -> 13, "I" -> 12, "T" -> 11, "P" -> 11, 
 "B" -> 10, "S" -> 9, "R" -> 8, "L" -> 8, "V" -> 6, "G" -> 6, 
 "*" -> 5, "O" -> 4, "F" -> 4, "N" -> 3, "E" -> 3, "D" -> 3, "k" -> 3,
  "Æ" -> 3, "Z" -> 2, "\[Hyphen]" -> 2, "U" -> 1, "-" -> 1, "Q" -> 1|>

Let's now use this knowledge to first test the shift that replaces an "i" with "l":

alpha = Alphabet[];
shift = LetterNumber["i"] - LetterNumber["l"];
keytable = Thread[Rule[alpha, RotateLeft[alpha, shift]]];
StringReplace["yhql ylgl ylfl", keytable]

Which happens to be the correct one:

veni vidi vici

Note: The shift found is -3 which is the same as shift 23 (26 + -3 = 23).

I came, saw and won.

Posted 2 years ago

Three years of Latin in high school helped confirm my decryption and translation. Good fun!

POSTED BY: Robert Lyons
Posted 2 years ago

please make test bigger on Zoom lecture now

POSTED BY: Peter Aptaker
Posted 2 years ago

Ahead of the presentation, I am hopeful that the explanation of RSA will include an examination of its usage in SSL, i.e., how is it employed to exchange the symmetric key?

POSTED BY: MURL DONLEY

This will be covered more ahead in Hybrid Cryptography lesson.

For anyone interested in seeing actual historical equipment, the NSA runs the National Cryptological Museum in Maryland. It has an amazing collection from ancient times through Cold War to modern times including Enigmas and they have the only surviving Bombe (the machine designed at Bletchley Park to decrypt Enigma -- the British destroyed all of theirs and had to rebuild one for their recently opened Bletchley Park museum).

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

The "Spy Museum" in Washington DC is also a good place to see an Enigma machine:

https://www.spymuseum.org/exhibition-experiences/about-the-collection/collection-highlights/four-rotor-enigma-machine/

POSTED BY: Gustavo Delfino
Posted 2 years ago

Interesting historical perspective of cryptography from day 1 - looking forward to the next sessions!

POSTED BY: Updating Name

Over 200 attendees joined the first session of this study group today. Thanks @Dariia Porechna for your presentation. Thanks to the attendees for remaining engaged throughout the session. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Interesting start. Maybe not only I ask myself, where I can see some of these machines. Here is a list of museums with Enigmas https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Enigma-Exponate.

POSTED BY: Andreas Rudolph

I was also curious about the lesser-known Lorenz machine: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Exponate_des_Lorenz-Schl%C3%BCssel-Zusatzes Not a lot of them still present!

Looking forward to this!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract