Message Boards Message Boards

[GIF] Geographical distribution of US mass shootings - 2016

Posted 5 years ago
|
5 Replies
|
11 Total Likes
|

Note: In this post I will show how to create the following visualization.

enter image description here

Today, 1st of June, there has been a shooting at the University of California. Sadly, mass shootings seem quite frequent in the US. With this in mind, I will try to visualize the US Mass Shootings in 2016 using the Wolfram Language.

First, we need to import into Mathematica a dataset with all the mass shootings so far. We can find such a dataset, for example, in the website: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/. There you can export as CSV a dataset with all mass shooting in 2016. Then, saving the file into the same folder as my notebook, I can easily import the data:

SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]];
dataset = Import["export-4b556202-9b81-4989-b67f-dd70bce40889.csv", "CSV"];

This dataset contains the following information:

dataset[[1, 1 ;; 7]]

{"Incident Date", "State", "City Or County", "Address", "# Killed", \ "# Injured", "Operations"}

It is straightforward to get the GeoPositions of the shooting by using Interpreter["Location"] :

locations = Interpreter["Location"][dataset[[2 ;; All, 3]]]

There are a couple of locations that Interpreter fails to identify. I can get rid of them using Cases and obtain a list of the number of killed people per shooting along their locations:

dataKilled = Cases[Transpose[{dataset[[2 ;; All, 5]], locations}], {_, _GeoPosition}]

Now, I can create a map of the US with the disks centered in the shootings locations and with radius proportional to the number of killed people:

GeoGraphics[
{GeoStyling[Directive[Opacity[0.5], Red], EdgeForm[Gray]], GeoDisk[#2, 4 10^4 Log[2 + #1]]} & @@@ dataKilled, 
GeoRange -> {{22, 50}, {-130, -70}}, GeoProjection -> "Mercator", ImageSize -> 640]

The same for injured people:

dataInjured = Cases[Transpose[{dataset[[2 ;; All, 6]],  locations}], {_, _GeoPosition}]

Apart of the maps, I would also like to create a ListPlot with the exact number of victims and the number of shootings along the date that occurred. I can get the dates in a chronological order with:

Reverse[dataset[[2 ;; All, 1]]]

And the ListPlot looks like:

ListPlot[{Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; All, 1]], Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; All, 1]]}, PlotRange -> {{0, Length[dataInjured]}, {-1, 15}}, 
AxesLabel -> {Style["Mass Shootings", Bold, FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 16], 
Style["People", FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", Bold, FontSize -> 16]}, PlotLegends -> {"Killed", "Injured"}, 
PlotStyle -> {Directive[{Red}, Opacity[0.7], PointSize[Large]], Directive[{Blue}, Opacity[0.6], PointSize[Large]]}, 
ImageSize -> 600, Ticks -> {Automatic, Range[15]}, TicksStyle -> Directive["Label", 12]]

Finally I can obtain the animation showed at the beginning of the post with the following Manipulate:

Manipulate[Labeled[Style[
   Grid[{
     {Grid[{{
         Labeled[GeoGraphics[
           {GeoStyling[Directive[Opacity[0.5], Red], EdgeForm[Gray]], 
              GeoDisk[#2, 4 10^4 Log[1 + #1]]} & @@@ Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; u]], 
           GeoRange -> {{24, 50}, {-125, -67}}, GeoProjection -> "Mercator", ImageSize -> 500],
          Grid[{{Total[Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; u, 1]]], "Killed"}}], 
          Top]
         Labeled[GeoGraphics[
           {GeoStyling[Directive[Opacity[0.5], Blue], EdgeForm[Gray]],
               GeoDisk[#2, 4 10^4 Log[2 + #1]]} & @@@ Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; u]], 
           GeoRange -> {{24, 50}, {-125, -67}}, GeoProjection -> "Mercator", ImageSize -> 500],
          Grid[{{Total[Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; u, 1]]], 
             "Injured"}}], Top]
         }}]},
     {Style[ Reverse[dataset[[2 ;; All, 1]]][[u]], Italic, FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 32]},

{ListPlot[{Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; u, 1]], Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; u, 1]]}, PlotRange -> {{0, Length[dataInjured]}, {-1, 15}}, 
       AxesLabel -> {Style["Mass Shootings", Bold, FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 16], 
         Style["People", FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", Bold, FontSize -> 16]}, PlotLegends -> {"Killed", "Injured"}, 
       PlotStyle -> {Directive[{Red}, Opacity[0.7], PointSize[Large]], Directive[{Blue}, Opacity[0.6], PointSize[Large]]}, 
       ImageSize -> 600, Ticks -> {Automatic, Range[15]}, TicksStyle -> Directive["Label", 12]]}},
    Spacings -> {1, 1}],
   FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 24]
  , Style["Mass Shootings - 2016", FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 40, Bold]
  , Top, Spacings -> {1, 2}], {u, 1, Length[dataInjured], 1}]

In conclusion, it seems that the American East has overall more mass shootings than its West counterpart. Probably, it would be interesting to do a comparison with the previous years. And a comparison between different countries could be also very interesting. Feel free to extend this analysis. Can't wait to see what you are coming up with!

5 Replies

I wasn't aware about this other great post from @Dan Lou about Mass Shootings from 2013-2015. I recommend you to have a look: http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/751886
Instead of importing the data from the website: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ they used the data from http://shootingtracker.com

See also some other interesting posts about mapping crimes:

Posted 5 years ago

@Jofre Espigule , thank you very much for referring to my old post!

I really love the way you visualized the data. It's a neat idea to display the maps together with the chart. I'll probably steal your code for future posts ;)

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations !

We are happy to see you at the tops of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

@Ahmed Elbanna Some years ago I did a similar visualisation (see it above). Adding your recent analysis here as a reference: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/1753511

Thanks. I love your way in showing events over time using Manipulate. I will sure use it in future posts with credit of course.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract