Message Boards Message Boards

[GIF] Geographical distribution of US mass shootings - 2016

Note: In this post I will show how to create the following visualization.

enter image description here

Today, 1st of June, there has been a shooting at the University of California. Sadly, mass shootings seem quite frequent in the US. With this in mind, I will try to visualize the US Mass Shootings in 2016 using the Wolfram Language.

First, we need to import into Mathematica a dataset with all the mass shootings so far. We can find such a dataset, for example, in the website: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/. There you can export as CSV a dataset with all mass shooting in 2016. Then, saving the file into the same folder as my notebook, I can easily import the data:

SetDirectory[NotebookDirectory[]];
dataset = Import["export-4b556202-9b81-4989-b67f-dd70bce40889.csv", "CSV"];

This dataset contains the following information:

dataset[[1, 1 ;; 7]]

{"Incident Date", "State", "City Or County", "Address", "# Killed", \ "# Injured", "Operations"}

It is straightforward to get the GeoPositions of the shooting by using Interpreter["Location"] :

locations = Interpreter["Location"][dataset[[2 ;; All, 3]]]

There are a couple of locations that Interpreter fails to identify. I can get rid of them using Cases and obtain a list of the number of killed people per shooting along their locations:

dataKilled = Cases[Transpose[{dataset[[2 ;; All, 5]], locations}], {_, _GeoPosition}]

Now, I can create a map of the US with the disks centered in the shootings locations and with radius proportional to the number of killed people:

GeoGraphics[
{GeoStyling[Directive[Opacity[0.5], Red], EdgeForm[Gray]], GeoDisk[#2, 4 10^4 Log[2 + #1]]} & @@@ dataKilled, 
GeoRange -> {{22, 50}, {-130, -70}}, GeoProjection -> "Mercator", ImageSize -> 640]

The same for injured people:

dataInjured = Cases[Transpose[{dataset[[2 ;; All, 6]],  locations}], {_, _GeoPosition}]

Apart of the maps, I would also like to create a ListPlot with the exact number of victims and the number of shootings along the date that occurred. I can get the dates in a chronological order with:

Reverse[dataset[[2 ;; All, 1]]]

And the ListPlot looks like:

ListPlot[{Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; All, 1]], Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; All, 1]]}, PlotRange -> {{0, Length[dataInjured]}, {-1, 15}}, 
AxesLabel -> {Style["Mass Shootings", Bold, FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 16], 
Style["People", FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", Bold, FontSize -> 16]}, PlotLegends -> {"Killed", "Injured"}, 
PlotStyle -> {Directive[{Red}, Opacity[0.7], PointSize[Large]], Directive[{Blue}, Opacity[0.6], PointSize[Large]]}, 
ImageSize -> 600, Ticks -> {Automatic, Range[15]}, TicksStyle -> Directive["Label", 12]]

Finally I can obtain the animation showed at the beginning of the post with the following Manipulate:

Manipulate[Labeled[Style[
   Grid[{
     {Grid[{{
         Labeled[GeoGraphics[
           {GeoStyling[Directive[Opacity[0.5], Red], EdgeForm[Gray]], 
              GeoDisk[#2, 4 10^4 Log[1 + #1]]} & @@@ Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; u]], 
           GeoRange -> {{24, 50}, {-125, -67}}, GeoProjection -> "Mercator", ImageSize -> 500],
          Grid[{{Total[Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; u, 1]]], "Killed"}}], 
          Top]
         Labeled[GeoGraphics[
           {GeoStyling[Directive[Opacity[0.5], Blue], EdgeForm[Gray]],
               GeoDisk[#2, 4 10^4 Log[2 + #1]]} & @@@ Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; u]], 
           GeoRange -> {{24, 50}, {-125, -67}}, GeoProjection -> "Mercator", ImageSize -> 500],
          Grid[{{Total[Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; u, 1]]], 
             "Injured"}}], Top]
         }}]},
     {Style[ Reverse[dataset[[2 ;; All, 1]]][[u]], Italic, FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 32]},

{ListPlot[{Reverse[dataKilled][[1 ;; u, 1]], Reverse[dataInjured][[1 ;; u, 1]]}, PlotRange -> {{0, Length[dataInjured]}, {-1, 15}}, 
       AxesLabel -> {Style["Mass Shootings", Bold, FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 16], 
         Style["People", FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", Bold, FontSize -> 16]}, PlotLegends -> {"Killed", "Injured"}, 
       PlotStyle -> {Directive[{Red}, Opacity[0.7], PointSize[Large]], Directive[{Blue}, Opacity[0.6], PointSize[Large]]}, 
       ImageSize -> 600, Ticks -> {Automatic, Range[15]}, TicksStyle -> Directive["Label", 12]]}},
    Spacings -> {1, 1}],
   FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 24]
  , Style["Mass Shootings - 2016", FontFamily -> "Helvetica Neue", FontSize -> 40, Bold]
  , Top, Spacings -> {1, 2}], {u, 1, Length[dataInjured], 1}]

In conclusion, it seems that the American East has overall more mass shootings than its West counterpart. Probably, it would be interesting to do a comparison with the previous years. And a comparison between different countries could be also very interesting. Feel free to extend this analysis. Can't wait to see what you are coming up with!

5 Replies

@Ahmed Elbanna Some years ago I did a similar visualisation (see it above). Adding your recent analysis here as a reference: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/1753511

I wasn't aware about this other great post from @Dan Lou about Mass Shootings from 2013-2015. I recommend you to have a look: http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/751886
Instead of importing the data from the website: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/ they used the data from http://shootingtracker.com

See also some other interesting posts about mapping crimes:

Posted 8 years ago

@Jofre Espigule , thank you very much for referring to my old post!

I really love the way you visualized the data. It's a neat idea to display the maps together with the chart. I'll probably steal your code for future posts ;)

POSTED BY: Dan Lou

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations !

We are happy to see you at the tops of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Thanks. I love your way in showing events over time using Manipulate. I will sure use it in future posts with credit of course.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract