|
13 Replies
|
7 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica V10 execution time has grown up to 12% to 45% from V9

Posted 10 years ago

A simple example: RosettaCode's Universal Turing Machine (5-state, 2-symbol probable Busy Beaver machine from Wikipedia) In V9 time = 225 seconds, in V10 322 seconds (Windows i5 desktop).

Not much to do but hope for better performance. I think I hear more disk swapping but that's not measured (yet).

POSTED BY: Douglas Kubler
13 Replies
Posted 10 years ago
Attachments:
Posted 10 years ago

A simple example: RosettaCode's Universal Turing Machine (5-state, 2-symbol probable Busy Beaver machine from Wikipedia) In V9 time = 225 seconds, in V10 322 seconds (Windows i5 desktop).

Not much to do but hope for better performance. I think I hear more disk swapping but that's not measured (yet).

POSTED BY: Nev Nev
Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Jeongwan Haah
Posted 10 years ago
POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Posted 10 years ago

I gave up with the Benchmarks some time ago. The tests are not run for the new release so you're always comparing apples to oranges.

Indeed. Some of that is due to MKL getting in update (linear algebra, FFT, etc.) Do we know if the benchmarks included with v9 and v10 are identical though?

My general impression has been that most things are faster in v10, but some examples (like this one) show that some other things got slower. It would be nice to be able to track down what exactly is causing the slowdown.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Posted 10 years ago

I can also reproduce a longer processing time (about 20%) with my Windows 8.1 machine (4 cores/8 logical processors): 186s (V9) - 228s (v10)

POSTED BY: Luca M

I can reproduce this slowdown on OS X. I got 220 s (v9) vs 280 s (v10).

Posted 10 years ago

The web page has the exact code I uploaded. Put Timing[ ] around any driver/test. The last one is the long-running example.

Can you share the exact code you used to benchmark this?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract